Help: Gun not cocking!

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
vivek009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Help: Gun not cocking!

Post by vivek009 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:00 am

Dear all,

This morning I realised that my airgun - quest 0.22 - which was working alright till yesterday is not cocking at all. Which means that the spring is not getting compressed. Apparently, when I detached the action from the stock, I realised that the cocking lever, which is supposed to "push" the spring back is somehow disengaged from the spring, or at least, that's what I think. And I could be totally wrong. There are no broken parts anywhere. The spring is simply not getting compressed.

Please advise. Should I see a gunsmith or anyone can guide me on what and how to set this right.

thanks in advance.
Vivek

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:17 am

Looks like the cocking shoe is busted.

Did you try decocking it without holding the barrel back completely?

Have you fiddled with the trigger adjustments?

When you look through the cocking slot on the main cylinder, does the main-spring appear to have broken?

vivek009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vivek009 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:26 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="36753 wrote:Looks like the cocking shoe is busted.

Did you try decocking it without holding the barrel back completely?

Have you fiddled with the trigger adjustments?

When you look through the cocking slot on the main cylinder, does the main-spring appear to have broken?
No Mack The Knife. I have done none of that. The only "accident" that has ever happened is about three months back when I was cocking the gun and my hand slipped over the barrel. The barrel lunged forward under the force of the spring and snapped shut. Some of the screws got loose then, but that's it. And this was 3 months back, and after that the gun has been working fine.
Pardon my ignorance - but what is the "cocking shoe"?

regards
Vivek

vivek009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Help: Gun not cocking!

Post by vivek009 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:29 am

Also, the spring does not appear to be broken from what I can see from the slot.

regards
Vivek

vivek009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vivek009 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:52 am

Well Rusty,

Apparently, you faced a similar problem with your HW 80 sometime back. In a general net search for my problem, I came across this post of yours on airgunbbs: http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/archive ... 47537.html.
In fact, from your de.scription of the problem, it is the exact same thing that has happened with me, but I don't know how as I never decocked the gun. The cocking link is slightly arched rather than being parallel to the cylinder. And in my case, it is not compressing the spring at all, which means the link and the shoe have completely decoupled somehow. How can I put it back?

regards
Vivek

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:13 pm

I think this is a exploded view of what you have, maybe it can be of some help:

http://crosman.com/2004/pdf/manualarchive/C1K77-EVP.pdf
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

vivek009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vivek009 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:53 pm

Mark";p="36766 wrote:I think this is a exploded view of what you have, maybe it can be of some help:

http://crosman.com/2004/pdf/manualarchive/C1K77-EVP.pdf
Thanks Mark. I've seen that before and it does not help.

However, I came across a tune-up article from Charlie Da Tuna, where he explains the tuning of XS B19, which is basically the Crosman Quest. Below is the pic from the article and the problem area marked by the red circle (which I think is the problem area) that I am talking about:

[fullalbumimgc]213[/fullalbumimgc]

vivek009
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vivek009 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:54 pm

I don't think the image loaded. Please see the image with ID: 213 in the private albums category.

regards
Vivek

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:46 pm

Vivek,

If I recall correctly, I only ended up changing the cocking shoe on my '80k.

The link and shoe are supposed to come apart, otherwise you wouldn't be able to dismantle it. I cannot tell you how to put it back again because I have never seen this rifle.

In the case of the '80k, it's just slotted in.