HW80 - Swap .177 and .22 barrel

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
ren_jith
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

HW80 - Swap .177 and .22 barrel

Post by ren_jith » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:45 pm

Hi folks,

My friend is having HW80 .177, he is planning to get HW80 .22 barrel for the same.

Is the power plant same for HW80 .22 and .177 barrels? If not, will HW80 .22 barrel fit in for HW80 .177 power plant?

Thanking in advance,
Renjith.

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:36 pm

Renjith,

Your friend will have to buy the complete block+barrel unit and preferably also the cocking lever which is attached to barrel block. This way he will be able to switch between barrels relatively easily. If he plans to use iron sights then he should buy front and rear iron sights as well to further enable the ease of switching barrels with a minimum of fuss. Would be a good idea to pick up spare breech seals for both barrels while he is at it.

I'd suggest he go for the carbine length barrel, it's shorter (slightly lighter) and handier - and makes the same amount of power as the full length barrel.

The .177 spring is stronger than the .22 spring, so switching barrels should get him good output.

Rusty should be able to add more relevant info on this... topic

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: HW80 - Swap .177 and .22 barrel

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:37 pm

Abhijeet has covered the points. However, buying a seperate set of sight isn't a cheap option as it will cost you GBP 50.00 or thereabouts before postage and duty.

The cocking link is riveted to the breech block, so your options are to buy the barrel - breech block assembly with or without the cocking link. Should you decide on the latter, you can have a pin machined that is a friction fit that can be drifted in and out with the use of a parallel drift or go the Air Arms route and machine grooves along the circumference near the ends of the pin to house a circlip at each end.

Do not try to import the .22 barrel via post or courier. It will be confiscated.

ren_jith
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ren_jith » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi Abhijeet and Mack The Knife,

Thanks a lot for your input.

>>The .177 spring is stronger than the .22 spring, so switching barrels should get him good output.
Abhijeet, so the power plants are different for .177 and .22 but barrels can be switched, am I correct ?

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:24 pm

ren_jith";p="34711 wrote:Abhijeet, so the power plants are different for .177 and .22 but barrels can be switched, am I correct ?
Nope, they are the same - except for the fact that the .177 cal uses a stronger spring than the .22 cal.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Hunter » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:00 pm

Hi Renjith,

I had posted a similar question on the Hw forum below,please check out the springers section..

www.weihrauchowners.freeforums.org

ren_jith
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ren_jith » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi Hunter and Abhijeet,

Thanks a lot for your help.
Hunter, I went through the forum, really useful, thanks again.

One more clarification, if the barrel unit fixing screw (screw which fixes barrel and breech block along with cocking link with power plant) is removed, can we detach barrel unit (barrel, breech block along with cocking link) from power plant?

Regards,
Renjith.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:17 pm

Yes and If you have any problems send it to me :lol:I will do the job minus the labour charges and also test it for you for a few months...hee hee hee.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

ren_jith
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ren_jith » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:30 pm

Thanks dev,

Offer looks interesting :D , will be considered when I have a spare HW80. :)

Regards,
Renjith.