scope for air-gun

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

scope for air-gun

Post by cyrixoutside » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:12 pm

hi,

i have gotten the local gun repair fellow to fix a plate on the top of the receiver so that 3/8 mounts can be placed. now i need a scope that can take the recoil and is parallax free at about 20-30 yards. all te scopes that can take the recoil are center-fire rifle scopes that are parallax free at 100 yards.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg11 ... e/ihp1.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg11 ... e/ihp2.jpg

any ideas/comments

rajat

For Advertising mail webmaster
z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: scope for air-gun

Post by z375 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:39 pm

rajat,

the rail you've mounted seems ok, as long as the soldering job is good and its sitting straight above the compression chamber, else your scope will sit offset. What I'd really like to have on a set up like this is an arrestor block or a hole or two drilled into the rail, then you'll have to bore out a corresponding hole and "Araldite" or soft-solder a steel plug into the underside of the rear scope ring, the steel plug will sit in the hole drilled on the rail and act like an arrestor preventing any possible scope-creep. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Zubin

p.s- I have a scope for sale in the "For Sale" thread, just recently added pics
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:37 pm

what about welding a top mount 1 piece base lets say a weaver which i saw in a weaver usa ad,the cost of that rail is just $5. you can then mount a compatible telescope.of course someone has to get that weeaver device to india !saw this in SWFA scope website.by the way cyrix how much did your jugaad cost you. if cheap i cansuggest someone here the same for my ihp .22 since i have a brand new daisy airgun telescope and a slo a red dot sight.andy

cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cyrixoutside » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:25 pm

hi,

zubin - attaching an arrestor block or a getting a hole drilled in the rail, is still very much possible. what is the parallax free distance of the scope you have put up in the for sale section.

andy - i already had a 22 rimfire scope when i got this done, i only realized later on that rimfire scopes can not last very long on a spring air gun.

i have searched the net a lot but am unable to find scope which can withstand the recoil of springer and have either adjustable parallax setting or 25-30 yards parallax free designs.

rajat

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

scope for air-gun

Post by sat » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:15 am

rajat,

Plenty of airgun rated scopes available.. pyramyd air.. link.

Since you are going to be purchase a nice HW, might as well get a good scope which will last. A cousin who has a bushnel elite 4-12-40 AO

The leupold 3-9x33 vx-II efr (extended focus range) is also a good quality scope.. about $350..

www.straightshooters.com/leupold

www.straightshooters.com/scopeselections

www.straightshooters.com/scope to gun fit grid

Do ask the resident expert Mack The Knife bungaluroo too.. :lol:

all the best

sat :)
Last edited by sat on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cyrixoutside » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:48 pm

hi,

the leupold would be more suitable for a much better air rifle, still best to get a good scope so that when ever i manage to get a diana/hw it can be used on that as well.

thanks

rajat

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: scope for air-gun

Post by z375 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:59 pm

Rajat,

This scope is parallax-free till 100 yards, like most riflescopes.

Zubin
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:30 pm

hi rajat
please consider few points regarding scopes.
1/ what distance are u shooting at?
2/ some scope such as Lupold etc are ment for 500m +, is ur air rifle going to shoot that far?
3/ think about the buget u have.
best of all take ur time in finding the one thats is best for u. as we all have our little likes and dislikes in scopes. if your think that there is to much recoil in ur air rifle then try looking at (not buying at first) scope used for say on large bore rifle. but not at the cost of lupold scope as in USA the cost can be 300+ or near the same as a rifle would cost. Tescos scope are ok and are decent priced. However you would have to find a seller, that i think is the problem in India.

have u checked out the scope thread in the forum?
Edited. Engage brain before posting. - Mack The Knife
nagarifle