How to set Zero in a air rifle

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

It just wont shoot straight

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:12 am

By all the previous posts and all you ought to have known by now i bought an Air rifle
though its a good one smooth trigger, decent power (good enough for my rooftop range) and it shoots the pellet aswell :D but the problem is it just wont shoot where i aim it to go. i stood at least 10meters away aimed at the head of one of the targets i downloaded and it would shoot at the chest and if i aim at the chest area it shoots the lower corner. am attaching the kind of sight it uses as a reference. could some one tell me what to do to make it shoot where i aim. (i even went to sirifort to see if there was something wrong with my aim or the distance but i was able to place my pellets in the black area quite a number of times with the hired rifle and even got a perfect bullseye once, out of 25 pellets)

any ideas where i am going wrong or what do i need to do????

Cheers
Sid

For Advertising mail webmaster
art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: It just wont shoot straight

Post by art_collector » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:18 am

U ought to do just one thing..........call the guy u bought the air gun from and ask him to take it back........u have wriiten in a earlier post that he did say that you could return it back in case you not satisfied with the results.

Send him an sms now...........may be he might say come and take a new one rite now....LOL

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:22 am

oh he has asked the gun smith to make another one for me but i really wanted to figure out where is it that i am going wrong/missing out. just in case if it happens again i ought to know all this stuff :D (am trying to learn)

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:28 am

AC
Last edited by art_collector on Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:36 am

oh he is a through gentleman i believe Dev has been dealing with him for quite some time now. if you want i could forward you his number and all. i.e. if delhi is convenient for you :P and sid is just fine

Cheers

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:11 am

Sid,

It could be any one or more of the following reasons:

1) Your shooting isn't good enough.
2) You have not adjusted the windage or elevation on the rear sight.
3) The rifle is inherently inaccurate.
4) The pellets do not suit the rifle.
5) Your bore is not clean.
6) The stock screws are loose.

We will try and eliminate the possibilities one by one. To start with, I want you to shoot a few groups (atleast three) of five shots each. Take your time shooting these groups. Do not alter the sight settings even if the point of aim does not match the point of impact. Try and be as consistent as you can about all aspects of the shooting process.

Before you shoot, clean the bore and then put 10 shots through the rifle before shooting for groups.

Tighten all stock screws and put a witness mark on all screw heads at the 12 o'clock position using a silver or gold permanent marker or a dot of paint. This will help tell you if the screws have loosened. If they do get loose, nip them back to the original position.

Do this and post the targets here.

shahid

Post by shahid » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:25 am

What is the make of this air rifle, and what pellets are being used. Like pointed out in the post above is a very heavy variety being shot ?

These things are important to know before making any suggestion to you.

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:48 pm

shahid";p="30356 wrote: What is the make of this air rifle, and what pellets are being used. Like pointed out in the post above is a very heavy variety being shot ?

These things are important to know before making any suggestion to you.
Shahid this is a local made rifle, and the pellets being used are mastershot pointed ones.

Mack The Knife will carry out the stuff you've pointed out today itself and upload the pics but the thing is the pellet doesn't go left or right but just goes a little to the lower every time. about the rifle being inaccurate it manages to shoot the chest area every time i.e. if i aim at the head. I'll mark a circle where i aim and point out where the pellets actually go, in the pics.

Plus the sights kind of weired(at least that what i feel wont know how they are supposed to be). I haven't adjusted the windage/elevation on the rear sight for i dont know what to adjust in them:D

Thanks
Sid

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:27 pm

Dear Sids,

Try using the round head pellets instead of the pointed ones which any way are more heavier I suppose. Ask the dealer to arrange some for you.....when he is that cooperative with you no harm giving him a call.

ac

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:45 pm

Sid_kapur30";p="30367 wrote:but the thing is the pellet doesn't go left or right but just goes a little to the lower every time. about the rifle being inaccurate it manages to shoot the chest area every time i.e. if i aim at the head. I'll mark a circle where i aim and point out where the pellets actually go, in the pics.
While I am no airgun expert, I'd say if the point of impact changes only in elevation in spite of you aiming for the same spot each time, it would seem like the rifle is producing inconsistent muzzle velocities, i.e. the pellet is leaving the barrel at varying speeds each time you shoot. There could be several reasons for this... the most common would be "dieseling", a defective piston seal/ washer, a worn out/ defective main spring, pressure leakage from the breech seal area etc. Since this is a brand new piece I would suspect "dieseling" as the culprit... do you see smoke wafting out of the barrel after you shoot? Or any other sign of "dieseling"?

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:10 pm

Best thing to do as of now would be to get a box (at least) of pellets thru it- that will break it in a bit and after that you should see decent grouping - failing which first try different type of pellets and see if they group or not - once the grouping starts getting tighter then you can start ZEROing failing which dont even try it - it will be a waste of your time.
Like Abhijeet said - Dieseling is common in new pieces as they are often over lubed. - Try the above and you should see results soon.
DO NOT OIL the airgun at all (at least for the next thousand shots) or until you hear squeaking sounds when you load.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:20 pm

One thing I am sure off whether the gun shoots straight or not the poor dealer would forget selling air guns........and atleast would refuse to sell it to an IFG member.

I pity the guy who sold u the air gun he would be shocked to death if he does manage to read all these posts on our forum.......LOL

AC

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:23 pm

I have a feeling that he has gone into rigour mortis :lol:

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Sid_kapur30
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sid_kapur30 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:26 pm

well Abhijeet the thing does start to smoke after 2 or 3 shots and even the sound goes as if from a hollow drum or something but wont know whether there are any other signs of dieseling for i don't know any other symptoms lemme read up the previous post and on it and try see if they happen :)

And AC must say had i been the dealer i would have certainly thrown a fit and a customer like me out of the shop but considering the fact these reviews might also help him as its his first time selling them as well :P. But don't know why you seem to be the dealer or least his brother to me :D

Cheers
Sid

P.s. dev just let me know when you guys going to Siri fort will be there for sure

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:50 pm

well I am his father in law and pity the poor chap. Bechara damad mera....LOL