My Air rifles: SDB Artemis (Waiting for rebirth), Precihole SX100 Pegasus

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
User avatar
Anupam Goswami
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:37 pm
Location: Mathura, Uttar Pradesh
Contact:

Re: My first Air rifle: it’s going to be SDB Artemis

Post by Anupam Goswami » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Thank you

Added in 30 minutes 37 seconds:
This evening I shot three sets of thirty shots each.

I made following observations:
A: I was flinching every time I pressed the trigger. So, I tried not to. This allowed me to see the direction in which my barrel recoiled each time. I attempted artillery hold. My hold is still a work in progress and the barrel kept recoiling to either left or right. But when it didn’t, I could see that the pellet hit where my sight was pointed every time. SO, FOR THE FIRST TIME I FELT IN CONTROL OF MY SHOTS, WHETHER I HIT BULLSEYE OR NOT. It made me enjoy shooting that much more.

B: I observed that when I held my breath while aiming or exhaled very slowly, my leading hand was more stable. I have a slight cervical problem and I feel a pinch in the back of my left shoulder every time I aim. While it’s not a particularly sharp pinch, it makes me rush through my shots. I will start doing some yoga for that. I have been lazy about it till now.

C. I have to find the optimum resting position for the rifle’s butt to control the recoil. I think, the recoil also gets affected by my trigger finger movement.


Here is the pic of my last spread of this evening. It’s hard for others to notice, but, I can point out where the barrel recoiled to the left or right. A few shots are when I tried too much and went awry.
C7D8D03E-DDD8-49A6-B40E-9A9635614BA2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
User avatar
Anupam Goswami
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:37 pm
Location: Mathura, Uttar Pradesh
Contact:

Re: My first Air rifle: it’s going to be SDB Artemis

Post by Anupam Goswami » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:03 pm

This morning I took two sets of thirty shots each.
I built upon all of the three points I mentioned yesterday, and got improvements.
7B7B8086-5383-4B16-91CD-2F7783ECE784.jpeg

This was my second spread. The first one was scored at 217, as per my system. And the second one is 250. Both of these are my all time top two. So, my method is producing results. By the way, I surfed on the Internet and found out that AR 10m events have a bullseye of 0.5 cm. My bullseye is 2.54 cm. I must say, I was a bit deflated after learning that.

After my second spread, I ran out of the Captainshot FH pellets that were supplied along with my Artemis. So I started shooting Unitedshot superpointed pellets that Mr. Jha had sent me. I stopped after only three shots. All three were out of the target ring itself. (I had shot three hundred of these on my first day and had ended up crestfallen). In my excitement, I had ordered 10 packets of these along with my AR. Now, I don’t know what I am going to do with them.

This means that pellets play a role in the accuracy which is more important than I previously thought it was. Since, the Precipell FH I ordered from their website are still a few days out, I contacted one of the local gun stores in my town. They offered Excite FH (pack of 500) for 600/-. I will try these in the evening and post the results.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Anupam Goswami
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:37 pm
Location: Mathura, Uttar Pradesh
Contact:

Re: My first Air rifle: it’s going to be SDB Artemis

Post by Anupam Goswami » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:16 pm

So, this evening I got myself a tin of H&N Excite Econ FH pellets from a local dealer. I got it for 600/-. On Internet, these are available for anywhere between 450/- and 500/- for 500 pellets.
A11806D7-DD23-4070-999D-D23BC0693692.jpeg
B85C13B4-107F-48D0-872E-B33342D5F587.jpeg

I shot two sets of thirty shots each.
1. With a weight of 7.48grains, these pellets are lighter than 8grains recommended by the seasoned shooters for Artemis.
2. Fit and finish is much more consistent than Captainshot FH I used earlier. But, I still came across a few malformed ones. I guess, Econ pellets are the ones not deemed worthy of their select batches by H&N.
3. These pellets don’t fit tightly in the breech as recommended by the experienced shooters here to get optimum accuracy with an Artemis.

Now,
1. Considering that I shot these pellets during twilight (the bullseye was blurry all the time)
2. And, TAKING MY SHOOTING INCOMPETENCY OUT OF THE EQUATION (as it is the common factor),

I believe, H&N Excite Econ FH is no better than Captainshot FH in terms of accuracy for SDB Artemis. So, it definitely wasn’t money well spent.

Here, are my spreads:
A6400569-B008-4E04-938D-EA903595DA07.jpeg
CD7713FD-72DF-46D9-B847-12629C07D96F.jpeg
P.S. It was my first day that I shot spreads each scoring more than 200 points as per my system.

P.P.S. As I type this, monkeys are at it again in my parking and I am fighting a huge urge to take shots at them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
guru050
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:40 pm

Re: My first Air rifle: it’s going to be SDB Artemis

Post by guru050 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:50 pm

Anupam Goswami wrote:So, this evening I got myself a tin of H&N Excite Econ FH pellets from a local dealer. I got it for 600/-. On Internet, these are available for anywhere between 450/- and 500/- for 500 pellets.
A11806D7-DD23-4070-999D-D23BC0693692.jpeg
B85C13B4-107F-48D0-872E-B33342D5F587.jpeg


I shot two sets of thirty shots each.
1. With a weight of 7.48grains, these pellets are lighter than 8grains recommended by the seasoned shooters for Artemis.
2. Fit and finish is much more consistent than Captainshot FH I used earlier. But, I still came across a few malformed ones. I guess, Econ pellets are the ones not deemed worthy of their select batches by H&N.
3. These pellets don’t fit tightly in the breech as recommended by the experienced shooters here to get optimum accuracy with an Artemis.

Now,
1. Considering that I shot these pellets during twilight (the bullseye was blurry all the time)
2. And, TAKING MY SHOOTING INCOMPETENCY OUT OF THE EQUATION (as it is the common factor),

I believe, H&N Excite Econ FH is no better than Captainshot FH in terms of accuracy for SDB Artemis. So, it definitely wasn’t money well spent.

Here, are my spreads:
A6400569-B008-4E04-938D-EA903595DA07.jpeg
CD7713FD-72DF-46D9-B847-12629C07D96F.jpeg

P.S. It was my first day that I shot spreads each scoring more than 200 points as per my system.

P.P.S. As I type this, monkeys are at it again in my parking and I am fighting a huge urge to take shots at them.

Dear Anupam Goswami,

Congrats for new AR. use precihole round head pellets or Gsmith RH pellets for SDB Artemis. I personally use precihole RH pellets for my SDB Artemis and results are really good. and while firing dont hold gun 2tight.

User avatar
Anupam Goswami
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:37 pm
Location: Mathura, Uttar Pradesh
Contact:

Re: My first Air rifle: it’s going to be SDB Artemis

Post by Anupam Goswami » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:17 am

guru050 wrote:
Anupam Goswami wrote:So, this evening I got myself a tin of H&N Excite Econ FH pellets from a local dealer. I got it for 600/-. On Internet, these are available for anywhere between 450/- and 500/- for 500 pellets.
A11806D7-DD23-4070-999D-D23BC0693692.jpeg
B85C13B4-107F-48D0-872E-B33342D5F587.jpeg


I shot two sets of thirty shots each.
1. With a weight of 7.48grains, these pellets are lighter than 8grains recommended by the seasoned shooters for Artemis.
2. Fit and finish is much more consistent than Captainshot FH I used earlier. But, I still came across a few malformed ones. I guess, Econ pellets are the ones not deemed worthy of their select batches by H&N.
3. These pellets don’t fit tightly in the breech as recommended by the experienced shooters here to get optimum accuracy with an Artemis.

Now,
1. Considering that I shot these pellets during twilight (the bullseye was blurry all the time)
2. And, TAKING MY SHOOTING INCOMPETENCY OUT OF THE EQUATION (as it is the common factor),

I believe, H&N Excite Econ FH is no better than Captainshot FH in terms of accuracy for SDB Artemis. So, it definitely wasn’t money well spent.

Here, are my spreads:
A6400569-B008-4E04-938D-EA903595DA07.jpeg
CD7713FD-72DF-46D9-B847-12629C07D96F.jpeg

P.S. It was my first day that I shot spreads each scoring more than 200 points as per my system.

P.P.S. As I type this, monkeys are at it again in my parking and I am fighting a huge urge to take shots at them.

Dear Anupam Goswami,

Congrats for new AR. use precihole round head pellets or Gsmith RH pellets for SDB Artemis. I personally use precihole RH pellets for my SDB Artemis and results are really good. and while firing dont hold gun 2tight.

Thank you
I have already ordered precipell pellets.
And I am practising my artillery hold.

Cheers!

User avatar
Anupam Goswami
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:37 pm
Location: Mathura, Uttar Pradesh
Contact:

Re: My first Air rifle: SDB Artemis

Post by Anupam Goswami » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:53 pm

Hello,

This morning I took two sets of thirty shots each.

Pellets used: H&N Excite Econ, .177, 7.48GR

Though the first spread scored higher, it’s the second one that promised me more progress and now I feel that I have crossed the midway point from shooting spreads to shooting groups.

Here is the pic:
3FC3A36D-B358-4650-A8B6-82F6021B863D.jpeg
1. My first few shots were grouped on the left at 7points line.
2. Then, I adjusted my aim and hold slightly and the group moved closer to the bullseye.
3. I got greedy and adjusted it again. This time the shots grouped far north around the 5-6point lines.
4. The remaining four shots are the ones during adjustment.

Key progress points,
1. I have stopped adjusting my aim before taking every shot. This time, I adjusted after every five or six shots.
2. Recoil has greatly reduced. It might be either because my hold has improved or that the AR’s spring has become settled. I like to think that my hold has improved.
3. Leading hand is a bit more stable. I have started to shift my left elbow inside and in front of my ribs when I take the aim. Though this improves stability, it is an uncomfortable position to be in. Even more so because of my cervical problem.


I will shoot again this evening to see if this progress continues, or this second spread of this morning was just a fluke.

Cheers!

P.S. I must get my eyesight checked. The bullseye was blurry again this morning. And if I concentrated hard on the bullseye, the rear sight developed an extra set of edges.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Anupam Goswami
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:37 pm
Location: Mathura, Uttar Pradesh
Contact:

Re: My first Air rifle: SDB Artemis

Post by Anupam Goswami » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:12 pm

I had planned to take a couple of sets of shots this evening to test whether my methods from this morning produced consistent results.

But, this evening was spent in rather conniving pursuits.
I invited a few of my acquaintances to give them a taste of shooting in the hope that some of them pick up this hobby. That way, with some friendly competition, I might break the monotony of practising alone, and hopefully, get better sooner.
I am optimistic about the results of my calculated shoves and nudges to my guests towards this cause that interspersed this social evening.

Also, a pressing matter requires me to go out of town. That means, I will definitely not be able to shoot tomorrow, and possibly, for a days after as well.

I don’t assume that anyone will miss my spreads :P, but, I sure will miss posting here. This forum thing is very cathartically addictive.

So, till later.

Cheers!

User avatar
Basu
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1320
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:14 pm
Location: Salt Lake Kolkata

Re: My first Air rifle: SDB Artemis

Post by Basu » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:17 pm

Things are improving.......
It appears that you are getting used to with the gun.
Try few pellets and finally settled with one or max two brands.
Remember that each brand of pellet may have different point of impact.
To avoid blurred vision splash some water on eyes then you may have better sighting.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

Sombit
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:27 pm

Re: My first Air rifle: SDB Artemis

Post by Sombit » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:39 am

If anyone in this post lives in Kolkata, I'd suggest them a brand of pellets called Eagle. I buy them from esplanade and cost around 140 for a pack of 500. But the best thing about these round nosed pellets is that they seem to perform almost as good as precipell on my precihole vx 100, though these pellets are lighter. I am not getting the option to post pics, otherwise I'd upload pics too.

User avatar
Basu
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1320
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:14 pm
Location: Salt Lake Kolkata

Re: My first Air rifle: SDB Artemis

Post by Basu » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:01 am

Dear Goswami,
Wish you watch the video....




Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

User avatar
Anupam Goswami
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:37 pm
Location: Mathura, Uttar Pradesh
Contact:

Precipell Match FH

Post by Anupam Goswami » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Basu wrote:Things are improving.......
It appears that you are getting used to with the gun.
Try few pellets and finally settled with one or max two brands.
Remember that each brand of pellet may have different point of impact.
To avoid blurred vision splash some water on eyes then you may have better sighting.

Basu

Thank you for the tip and encouragement

Added in 1 minute 6 seconds:
Sombit wrote:If anyone in this post lives in Kolkata, I'd suggest them a brand of pellets called Eagle. I buy them from esplanade and cost around 140 for a pack of 500. But the best thing about these round nosed pellets is that they seem to perform almost as good as precipell on my precihole vx 100, though these pellets are lighter. I am not getting the option to post pics, otherwise I'd upload pics too.

Thank you for the suggestion

Added in 30 minutes 6 seconds:
Basu wrote:Dear Goswami,
Wish you watch the video....




Basu
I just watched it. The guy’s aim is really good.

1. My Artemis has a longer slit on the bottom front face of the stock.
2. I just received Precipell Match FH. The container says 8.2 grains.

Added in 38 minutes 22 seconds:
Hello,

Today I received the Precipell Match FH in mail. I had ordered these from the company’s website last week. The price for a container of 500 of these pellets is 440/- plus the shipping cost of 120/- for a total of ₹560.00
In my opinion, the DTDC courier charges are on the higher side.
7600763D-0975-49EF-B29F-F142C1079F84.jpeg
574F96AC-C320-4F17-A885-00E72EB081B4.jpeg
I noted:

1. These pellets fit tighter in the Artemis’ breech as compared to Excite Econ FH and Captainshot FH. I will rank their fit in decreasing order of tightness as Precipell Match FH > Excite Econ FH > Captainshot FH.
One may require a ball pen or some comparable equipment to push these pellets completely inside the breech so that their back rim is flush with the breech seal. I have heard that it improves the accuracy. But I didn’t do that today; primarily because my aim is yet not good enough to compare accuracies.

2. The fit and finish, though very satisfactorily consistent, is still a tad behind of that of Excite Econ FH. Also, the casting seams on the pellets are noticeable. Excite Econ FH had none. Captainshot FH falls way behind on both of these parameters when compared to Precipell Match FH and Excite Econ FH.


I took five sets of thirty shots each with these pellets. According to my system(I have a one inch bullseye. And my 9 point ring is somewhat generous), the scores were:
A. 236
B. 240
C. 235
D. 226
E. 259

The fifth set was my highest score yet. One may attribute this to either the pellets or my overall aiming improvement.

Here is the pic of my fifth spread.
08A16C99-62F9-4A41-8E38-61B8CC1B1947.jpeg
Also, it was the first day that I scored more than 225 in every set I shot. If I average more than 225 tomorrow, I will consider it an improvement. I shoot thirty shots in around 20 minutes.


Also,
I want to fix aperture/peep sights on my Artemis(both front and rear).
I have been looking at Precipell peep sights set for a while now.
Has anyone tried to, or already have fixed aperture sights on Artemis?
All tips and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:28 pm
Contact:

Re: My first Air rifle: SDB Artemis

Post by vsraja » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:18 am

You can adjust the trigger pull weight by turning it clockwise to reduce the weight. But do it with caution because very light trigger will release the piston accidentally.That screw is located on the back of the receiver. Don't try to adjust the screw when gun is cocked
With regards,
vsraja

User avatar
Vimalkarur
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:11 am

Re: My first Air rifle: SDB Artemis

Post by Vimalkarur » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:09 am

Nice improvement in the groupings. Keep practicing you can still reduce the group.

User avatar
Basu
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1320
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:14 pm
Location: Salt Lake Kolkata

Re: Precipell Match FH

Post by Basu » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:31 am

Anupam Goswami wrote:
Basu wrote:Things are improving.......
It appears that you are getting used to with the gun.
Try few pellets and finally settled with one or max two brands.
Remember that each brand of pellet may have different point of impact.
To avoid blurred vision splash some water on eyes then you may have better sighting.

Basu

Thank you for the tip and encouragement

Added in 1 minute 6 seconds:
Sombit wrote:If anyone in this post lives in Kolkata, I'd suggest them a brand of pellets called Eagle. I buy them from esplanade and cost around 140 for a pack of 500. But the best thing about these round nosed pellets is that they seem to perform almost as good as precipell on my precihole vx 100, though these pellets are lighter. I am not getting the option to post pics, otherwise I'd upload pics too.

Thank you for the suggestion

Added in 30 minutes 6 seconds:
Basu wrote:Dear Goswami,
Wish you watch the video....




Basu
I just watched it. The guy’s aim is really good.

1. My Artemis has a longer slit on the bottom front face of the stock.
2. I just received Precipell Match FH. The container says 8.2 grains.

Added in 38 minutes 22 seconds:
Hello,

Today I received the Precipell Match FH in mail. I had ordered these from the company’s website last week. The price for a container of 500 of these pellets is 440/- plus the shipping cost of 120/- for a total of ₹560.00
In my opinion, the DTDC courier charges are on the higher side.

7600763D-0975-49EF-B29F-F142C1079F84.jpeg
574F96AC-C320-4F17-A885-00E72EB081B4.jpeg

I noted:

1. These pellets fit tighter in the Artemis’ breech as compared to Excite Econ FH and Captainshot FH. I will rank their fit in decreasing order of tightness as Precipell Match FH > Excite Econ FH > Captainshot FH.
One may require a ball pen or some comparable equipment to push these pellets completely inside the breech so that their back rim is flush with the breech seal. I have heard that it improves the accuracy. But I didn’t do that today; primarily because my aim is yet not good enough to compare accuracies.

2. The fit and finish, though very satisfactorily consistent, is still a tad behind of that of Excite Econ FH. Also, the casting seams on the pellets are noticeable. Excite Econ FH had none. Captainshot FH falls way behind on both of these parameters when compared to Precipell Match FH and Excite Econ FH.


I took five sets of thirty shots each with these pellets. According to my system(I have a one inch bullseye. And my 9 point ring is somewhat generous), the scores were:
A. 236
B. 240
C. 235
D. 226
E. 259

The fifth set was my highest score yet. One may attribute this to either the pellets or my overall aiming improvement.

Here is the pic of my fifth spread.
08A16C99-62F9-4A41-8E38-61B8CC1B1947.jpeg

Also, it was the first day that I scored more than 225 in every set I shot. If I average more than 225 tomorrow, I will consider it an improvement. I shoot thirty shots in around 20 minutes.


Also,
I want to fix aperture/peep sights on my Artemis(both front and rear).
I have been looking at Precipell peep sights set for a while now.
Has anyone tried to, or already have fixed aperture sights on Artemis?
All tips and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Cheers!
Improvement is noticeable.
Mind you are firing an AR with a muzzle energy around 13 ft lbs.
It has to be hold sensitive.
PH flat head in surely contributing along with your ability.
Artemis does not have peep sight.
In case you go for a peep sight, it will be a waste deal as the foresight is not prepared for that.
I shoot with open sight only even though I have scopes as that is my preference.
When you focus on object, for obvious reason the back sight becomes blurred but I got used to it.
Trigger adjustment is a tricky issue as suggested by Raja.
If you over do it , the barrel will snap back and stock will be broken and gun will turn into a junk.
You need to contact some knowledgeable person to adjust the trigger pull or speak to SDB people.
In my GenNex PH FH does wonders.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

User avatar
vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:28 pm
Contact:

Re: My first Air rifle: SDB Artemis

Post by vsraja » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:51 pm

You can improve your accuracy by reducing its power little bit by removing some coils from the main spring.Even atleast 2 or 3 coils can be removed without notice in drop of power.It improves the smoothness of cocking and shooting more than you expected. You can use the precihole peep sight.but the front sight is doubtful to fix on that rifle. You can also use only the rear peep sight along with the rifle front sight to acquire the target fastly.
With regards,
vsraja

Post Reply