POWER AND AIRGUNS

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
targetpoint
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

POWER AND AIRGUNS

Post by targetpoint » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:40 pm

Though the topic of this thread may seem awkward to some but even though I started it to know the thinking about power output of airrifle.Actually I was also a avid air gun lover who used to run after power so in this process I bought Artemis which yields no less than 14fpe.After using it for few months I felt the need of another one so I bought Gennex.And then I discovered that actual fun in airgunning is in shooting low powered airrifle.I think it is the main reason that still HW30,Beeman R7,BSA meteor are classic in this modern world.Anyway I wish to know your feelings about power output of airrifle.
Thanks.
Shoot Less But Shoot Class.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Gunner_dh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: POWER AND AIRGUNS

Post by Gunner_dh » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:19 am

Hi All,

There is a famous dialog in a movie indulging sniping "Slow is smooth & smooth is fast". In a standalone statement It might be comprehended in multiple ways viz. loading/aiming/delivering etc.
Incase Strictly speaking about accuracy there might be situation where we might have to compromise with the power. Given the understanding more powerful spring used will give more recoil, applying simple physics. This recoil of an Ar can be partially compensated with better designs but cannot be curbed to 0%.
On the other hand once the recoil of a gun is eliminated to the maximum to enhance the accuracy you are left with a low powered AR(comparatively) as work is done around the spring.

There are and always be two streams of AR enthusiast, one who is power crazy (they always want to know what max can be achieved with the power of air) and second who want to achieve perfection in whatever output they receive.

Regards
dh

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:34 pm

Topic is real interesting......
Well......power is essential when one need to shoot some longer distance & knockdown is another objective.
In modern days ARs are available from 4 to 24 ftlbs.
Every AR has it's own pros & cons.
However having tried a few Indian & imported ARs , I like to say that low/medium power are more entertaining .
The high power ones are very good for limited hour of use with real long distance shooting.
A Springer is always remain as challenge in the hand of any shooter & that is the fun....

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

Bullo oka
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Bullo oka » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:17 pm

Depends on shooter, not much remains to write.
BTW love power but stuck with unmodifiable Nx100 with 10fpe, anyway Love it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
You own Gun
That doesn't mean you have to use it.
Maybe :stupid: Think Bright.

targetpoint
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:17 am

It not only depends on shooter dear.Many factors come into play in choosing a airrifle.
I think the most important factor among all is the purpose of buying it.Since some love to plink,some for paper punching and some for pest control.
In my opinion low powered ones are best for paper punching and plinking.
Next to that is available space one can afford for shooting that with safety too.For me available space is 22m max.So any low-power is enough for me.
Next to that is the shooter himself I mean his physical constitution,body built,age and health.Low-power airrifle is really forgiving in this matter.
But which airrifle should be called a low powered one??
I think a airrifle with power output of 6fpe max.
I think it is really useless to buy a sub 15fpe airrifle when the max space available is less than 20m leave alone above 15fpe.
Thanks.
Shoot less but shoot class.

Bullo oka
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Bullo oka » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:41 am

targetpoint wrote:It not only depends on shooter dear.Many factors come into play in choosing a airrifle.
I think the most important factor among all is the purpose of buying it.Since some love to plink,some for paper punching and some for pest control.
Next to that is available space one can afford for shooting that with safety too.For me available space is 22m max.So any low-power is enough for me.
Next to that is the shooter himself I mean his physical constitution,body built,age and health.Low-power airrifle is really forgiving in this matter.
I think it is really useless to buy a sub 15fpe airrifle when the max space available is less than 20m leave alone above 15fpe.
Thanks.
[emoji16] I love to plink, and in here no space constraints. Lots of area with long open field or spaces.
Like the punch of my friends Sdb under lever (shame it never shoot straight).
We are group of 30s, well built & small height.

Added in 2 minutes 21 seconds:
targetpoint wrote:It not only depends on shooter dear.Many factors come into play in choosing a airrifle.
Thanks.
[emoji16] I love to plink, and in here no space constraints. Lots of area with long open field or spaces.
Like the punch of my friends Sdb under lever (shame it never shoot straight).
We are group of 30s, well built & small height.

You own Gun

targetpoint
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:01 am

You are really lucky dear in having lot of open space around you.I wish for your good health.Try to use pellet trap made of rubber mulch to keep the surrounding clean.

Bullo oka
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Bullo oka » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:54 pm

targetpoint wrote:You are really lucky dear in having lot of open space around you.I wish for your good health.Try to use pellet trap made of rubber mulch to keep the surrounding clean.
Sure Targetpoint, thats what we need most. Clean environment.

You own Gun

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:22 am

Power at the target is partially based on the type of pellet you use.A diabolo pellet has some restrictions of range and power delivery on the target.So use heavy pellets for long range shooting.Huben k1 air rifle can shoot accurately even at 250yards.It shoots its own slug which is very heavy compared to normal pellet.So if you need a springer to plink till 100yards, 14fpe is more than enough.But you need a heavy pellet to shoot accurately and effectively.Hence shooting is mostly based on the projectile used.So get the projectile with good ''Ballistic Coefficient'' for long range accuracy and power delivery.
With regards,
vsraja

targetpoint
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by targetpoint » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:06 pm

Dear Vsraja,
You are very correct in stating that Ballistic coefficient is an important factor.General rule is use medium weight pellets for springer and heavy pellets for pcp.Round head pellets are most efficient at long ranges.
Thanks.
Shoot less but shoot Class.