AR for my kids!!!

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
TariqThePathan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

AR for my kids!!!

Post by TariqThePathan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:59 pm

HI,
Which AR should I purchase for my kids?
Nitro or spring !!! Either!!
I have three girls the eldest being 11 years old!!
I am on the lookout for an AR for them so that they get acquainted with shooting.
I have a DBBL, an SBBL and a .30-06 IOF rifle.. hope that they can responsibly inherit those from me in the future.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Gunner_dh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: AR for my kids!!!

Post by Gunner_dh » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:08 pm

Hi Mr. Tarik,

I am not sure if you should directly start with AR's. Instead would suggest to start with SDB Forentier Air Pistol for plinking. Subsequently moving to Model 23/25 & Gennex.
As I believe two things will be on your first priority 1. Teaching about gun safety 2. Low cocking effort.

Regards
dh

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:03 am

TariqThePathan,

Good on you for thinking of teaching them shooting. I think any decent air rifle or pistol would do. Do take their strength and ability into consideration. Start with safety first and then shooting basics. All the best.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

prashantjha19
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by prashantjha19 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:48 am

Here's some personal experience you may find useful please....and these relate to what I learnt from introducing my child (she's 14) to shooting.
1. At their age, children get SEVERELY put off by the heavy trigger pull of most local ARs. So, be extra cautious.....and that is where, the Precihole VX100 fits the bill best. Has a super light trigger + has auto safety. Also the weight is just about manageable by avg build children. My child's favourite from day one....and she consistently gets sub-1" groups at 10 mtrs.

2. Next, I gifted her a SDB 27.....again a superb AR for young adults (but only if you can turn it into one). I say this because I tune and remodel all my ARs. This one turns out to be a gem if you can make it's shot cycle smoother and make the trigger lighter. It is lighter, slimmer and shorter than the PH. You could consider Mod 25, too; but 27 will last as a fine plinker for the kids even when they grow old. At 50 years, I love shooting with it days on end. It's internals compete with the best there's on offer her in india, and yet it's much much cheaper than most fancy ones. Sad, such beauties never catch our attention and fancy in India, ....we are so enamoured of things BIG and bulky, guns included!!!

3. Do not go straight into gas rams. Their snap can put children off. Also, they have heavier cocking.

4. If you do think of air pistols, there's none to beat the PH SP50 - both in terms of quality and craftsmanship, but more importantly, for its design which is in line with competition target shooting protocols and techniques. Shame, it got discontinued by Precihole!!
I have a Frontier, too, but children just do not like it's uncomfortable grip.....that of a pirate gun.

5. And above every thing else - Must insist on inculcating Gun etiquette and safety.

Best wishes,
Prashant

TariqThePathan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by TariqThePathan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:35 am

WoW!!! Every word here is wisdom.
Prashanth, Vikram and Gunner!! God bless!!!! Thanks a lot!!!