Please explain the reason

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Please explain the reason

Post by satyam » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:31 pm

Why are air rifle pellets made of lead and not steel/pig iron/Aluminium /any other metal ?
Since use of lead looms like a doom on the existence on the shooting sports in olympics ! Why can't we switch to some other metal?

For Advertising mail webmaster
sathvik
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Please explain the reason

Post by sathvik » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:42 pm

Lead has more specific weight than all. This will result in higher impact energy which Wil results in instant kill. The lead can't damage the barrel so it's the best metal that could be used.

When it comes to alternative metals you could design a new barrel material which sustains the new metals corrosion .etc .

You need to redesign chokes .

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Added in 15 seconds:
Lead has more specific weight than all. This will result in higher impact energy which Wil results in instant kill. The lead can't damage the barrel so it's the best metal that could be used.

When it comes to alternative metals you could design a new barrel material which sustains the new metals corrosion .etc .

sathvik
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sathvik » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:42 pm

satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by satyam » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:45 am

We don't want to kill in a competition, sathvik!
Does anyone know about any innovation going on in this field?

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:35 am

No worries Satyam. Renowned pellet manufacturers are at it already. In fact two match grade lead free pellets have already been produced & are available commercially, the Sig-Sauer alloy pellets and H&N green pellets. Others are at it also, so breathe easy. Here is the review of the sig alloy pellets. http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2016/03/ ... ts-part-1/ & here is the link to the H&N green pellets http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/H_N_Match ... 500ct/1108
BTW, what exactly is the problem with lead?
"Aim small, miss small."

satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by satyam » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:31 pm

sam 47 wrote:BTW, what exactly is the problem with lead?
Actually I read that lead is harmful to the enviroonment, humans animals and plants and causes some kind of toxicity in humans over time.
The olympic committee was concerned regarding this and hence I read news about abandoning of sport which was obviously a bit worrying.
Thanks for the good news though!

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:20 pm

satyam wrote:Why are air rifle pellets made of lead and not steel/pig iron/Aluminium /any other metal ?
Since use of lead looms like a doom on the existence on the shooting sports in olympics ! Why can't we switch to some other metal?
The reason being that air rifles use that skirt to catch that blast of air, INFLATE, engage the rifling and seal the barrel nicely while propelling the pellet forward. Lead is soft enough allowing us to do exactly that while also being dense enough to give excellent ballistic coefficients for any given weight. IMHO only tungsten has a greater density than lead among the various materials employed for rounds, but it is also much more expensive and very very hard making it unsuitable for pellet manufacturing.

satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by satyam » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:15 pm

nitroex700 wrote:The reason being that air rifles use that skirt to catch that blast of air, INFLATE, engage the rifling and seal the barrel nicely while propelling the pellet forward. Lead is soft enough allowing us to do exactly that while also being dense enough to give excellent ballistic coefficients for any given weight. IMHO only tungsten has a greater density than lead among the various materials employed for rounds, but it is also much more expensive and very very hard making it unsuitable for pellet manufacturing.
I get your point, sir.
But I wish they come up with some lead-free alloy to make the pellets that suits the ballistics as well as is safe for the environment besides being less expensive.

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:52 pm

Pls check the periodic table and tell me what elements do you wish to make such a soft alloy with to achieve a density of 11.4...

PRITAM PATEL
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by PRITAM PATEL » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:14 am

nitroex700 wrote:Pls check the periodic table and tell me what elements do you wish to make such a soft alloy with to achieve a density of 11.4...
24 Carat Au, Atomic number: 79 ,Atomic mass: 196.966569 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Closest substitute to Pb Atomic Number: 82, Atomic Mass: 207.2
"Men like us don't deserve to die in the bed, field would be a batter option"

Optional : Proper inglish n gramer

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:38 am

PRITAM PATEL wrote:24 Carat Au, Atomic number: 79 ,Atomic mass: 196.966569 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Best of luck for buying that from the nearest jewellery shop buddy... For once your wife/may start loving your hobby... :lol:

I heard it's a particularly deadly, 1 shot 1 kill ammunition type meant specifically for use against Indian zombies...

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:57 am

Depleted Uranium bullets were used by US in Iraq war as they are comparatively much heavier than lead . These bullets punched armored vehicles very easily , even tanks . That Uranium is much more toxic , and expensive so 24carat gold would be much wiser .
:lol:
Great men are not born great , they grow great .

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:00 pm

Woods wrote:Depleted Uranium bullets were used by US in Iraq war as they are comparatively much heavier than lead . These bullets punched armored vehicles very easily , even tanks . That Uranium is much more toxic , and expensive so 24carat gold would be much wiser .
:lol:
DU is also toxic... If you ask them the number of soldiers undergoing Chemo after the Wars they will refuse to divulge the information under the excuse of national security....

For an air pellet to be accurate it has to be soft enough to inflate and engage rifling. That IMO is done best by lead. Copper pellets do shoot out faster but they don't engage rifling as well too.

Tungsten is hard, DU is pyrophoric.....

PRITAM PATEL
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by PRITAM PATEL » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:20 pm

nitroex700 wrote:
PRITAM PATEL wrote:24 Carat Au, Atomic number: 79 ,Atomic mass: 196.966569 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Best of luck for buying that from the nearest jewellery shop buddy... For once your wife/may start loving your hobby... :lol:

If that happens, I will not ever have to clean my Pallet Trap :D :D :D , she will do it religiously and happily... ROTFL ROTFL

I ment to acknowledge... that pure gold has almost identical physical properties of Lead, it will not harm delicate rifling of Air weapon....

while depleted uranium can wear down rifling pretty fast...even arms mfg.s are not able to solve this issue they uses DU for penetration purpose

regards
"Men like us don't deserve to die in the bed, field would be a batter option"

Optional : Proper inglish n gramer

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:29 am

PRITAM PATEL wrote: while depleted uranium can wear down rifling pretty fast...even arms mfg.s are not able to solve this issue they uses DU for penetration purpose
The solution is easy and already in use - DU penetrator is used in sabot ammunition.. Copper jacketed tungsten core rounds have also been in use since a long time.