Transporting airguns within India

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Transporting airguns within India

Post by nitroex700 » Fri May 05, 2017 7:35 pm

I have an old Diana 35 (.22) which has served me faithfully since a long time.. I now want to ship it to Mumbai via the 'least headache method', preferably courier (since carrying any gun in a flight is a different class of trouble in itself..). I tried dispatching it by many couriers including Indiapost but all of them gave me a blunt no and telling me all kinds of stories from illegal to transport guns to requiring gun transport license to what not... I would be very thankful if anyone could suggest me some simple way to get my dear toy from my hometown Allahabad to Mumbai...

For Advertising mail webmaster
sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Transporting airguns within India

Post by sohampaul11 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:29 pm

Mark your item as 'Sports Goods' and that it is for 'non-commercial use only' and post it through Gati.

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:35 am

sohampaul11 wrote:Mark your item as 'Sports Goods' and that it is for 'non-commercial use only' and post it through Gati.
The second I tell them that the 'sports good' is an airgun, they're ready to jump off their chairs... :(

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Sat May 06, 2017 2:30 am

I told them that it's hockey equipment. Couldn't tell any difference from the outside.

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Sat May 06, 2017 10:26 am

sohampaul11 wrote:I told them that it's hockey equipment. Couldn't tell any difference from the outside.

Don't be surprised to find a Vampire inside when you open it (Pun intended) ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Sat May 06, 2017 2:15 pm

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Sun May 07, 2017 10:57 am

Hire a guy instead . Pack the gun nicely , make a round trip reservation for the guy and pay him labour charges . Keep in contact . This is costly a bit but fastest , safest way.

Added in 9 minutes 41 seconds:
:lol: You can also bother a relative or a friend going to Mumbai or some nearby place . Better to force a relative , if he can't do this much better test , grind him and see the face
Great men are not born great , they grow great .

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:27 am

Woods wrote:Hire a guy instead . Pack the gun nicely , make a round trip reservation for the guy and pay him labour charges . Keep in contact . This is costly a bit but fastest , safest way.

:lol: You can also bother a relative or a friend going to Mumbai or some nearby place . Better to force a relative , if he can't do this much better test , grind him and see the face
Now you're telling me to do exactly what I want to avoid - the GRP cops are anyways looking for ways to loot people.. Give the man an airgun and he is likely to be declared a criminal by them....

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Sun May 07, 2017 2:45 pm

No . This way , 99%of the time the thing will never be figured out . When figured out, the conversation is man to man , face to face . Cops are very digestive of airguns , even in .22 caliber . Very unlike courier or customs people.
Great men are not born great , they grow great .

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun May 07, 2017 7:37 pm

Woods has given a very practical suggestion, also dealing matters face to face prudently can avoid many unnecessary misunderstandings. It is also true that usually cops are tolerant of air guns unless some corrupt cops are deliberately bent on creating a mountain out of a mole hill to extract bribe. Similar matter has also been discussed earlier in the following threads -

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24846

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24864
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:01 pm

I have my reasons to be extremely wary of railway TTEs and GRP... Have had nasty issues with them more than once...

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:05 am

Woods wrote:Hire a guy instead . Pack the gun nicely , make a round trip reservation for the guy and pay him labour charges . Keep in contact . This is costly a bit but fastest , safest way.

Probably the safest way of transporting your property within India. (y)

pradeep2374
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by pradeep2374 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:14 pm

Why don't you dismantle it , separate barrel and stock and courier it. For the stock, you can say it's a antique replica, the barrel they would not make out what it is.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Tue May 09, 2017 7:34 pm

You can ship the gun as 3 separate parcels. The Stock, Receiver Tube and the Barrel by any courier. Nobody is going to scan your parcels to see what is inside. You need not to tell them they are gun parts.

Joe4guns
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Joe4guns » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Bro dismantle the gun..make it three pieces and send the stock via post .. take the other parts with you. if any one ask u whats it or even they saw it.. tell them its your grandpas.. you keep it in his memory.

From my exp. i took My Daystate Wolverine as a whole in my car from Chennai to south.