Could someone explain this?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Could someone explain this?

Post by SMJ » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Shooting with my IHP pistol I shot around 200 pellets today. I found that the pellets tend to ricochet and also 'misfire' for lack of better words- meaning sometimes they are literally just spat out. I discovered sometime back that I can re use these pellets which have already been shot!!

Now the icing on the cake - the pellets which I re shoot tend to shoot MUCH better in the sense they shoot at a higher velocity than fresh pellets[emoji52] [emoji52] Im stumped as to why this happens!!

The pellets are Marshall shot pointed pellets and even the second time around they sit well in the breech. Any particular reason why pellets shot a second time shoot much better??

I understand I may be doing damage to the pistol by re using pellets but I'm fascinated with how well the pellets shoot when re shot. I'm not very happy with the gun anyways so have no problem experimenting!!

Sent from my SM-A500G using Tapatalk
Last edited by SMJ on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
milind
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Could someone explain this?

Post by milind » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:24 am

Dear SMJ,
Can you please post the closeup photos of pallets in following sequence.
1. Unused
2. Used once
3. After firing the used one.

Also please inform about your shooting distance and about the trap. It is quite possible to shoot same pallets twice if the gun is firing at lesser velocity & pallets is trapped undamaged using appropriate cushion materials to absorb impact. If the rim of the pallet is undamaged then you can reshoot the pallet. But the claim of accuracy & increased velocity is doubtful.

Love
Milind

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:01 am

Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi Milind
Also please inform about your shooting distance and about the trap. It is quite possible to shoot same pallets twice if the gun is firing at lesser velocity & pallets is trapped undamaged using appropriate cushion materials to absorb impact. If the rim of the pallet is undamaged then you can reshoot the pallet. But the claim of accuracy & increased velocity is doubtful.
Shooting distance is around 10 feet, yes the cushioning is decent and the rim of the pellet is undamaged which is why I am able to re use them. I never made any claim about accuracy but its a fact that they fire at a 'higher velocity then when fired fresh. Possibly because when they are fresh I need to use the base of my thumb to push them in the breech. The second time around I dont need to do that.
I found I can do the same when shooting flat head pellets today- the only difference is they fire the same when fresh and when re used. Also are much more "on target' then the pointed pellets which tend to fly everwhere around the target except on it.

Hello Abhijeet, totally agree mate :lol: :lol: but in his defense I think Milind may not have realized the spelling error

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:04 pm

I think the velocity is higher due to loose fit of pellets in the barrel. For the first time the skirt expands and seals at the breech end, so I think a part of the pellets energy is wasted in overcoming the friction of the bore at the breech end. For the second time the skirt is trimmed off after first usage so the "loose" fit helps the pellet exit the barrel faster . I think you will see the same effect if you push out the pellet out the barrel with a rod. I think this is why it is said deep seating pellets helps in low powered airguns, as the pellet is pushed deep into the barrel, the pellets skirt is already sized down , so the blast of air doesnot have to overcome the resistance of the air tight seal of the skirt on the barrel. Just my thoughts on the subject which I too have noticed in my lower powered air rifles.
By misfire, did you mean autofire, i.e the gun fired as soon as the barrel is closed? If so then the pistol needs a overhaul.
"Aim small, miss small."

kanglasa
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kanglasa » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Cost effective time pass shooting...

I think you need to change the pistol and buy a new one. If you are interested in shooting then it's better to discard this junk.
I also thought a lot but nothing concrete came to my mind, except the airtight sealing of the barrel by the used pallets, or may be the size of the pallet is bit bigger due to which the air power of the pistol is ineffective to push the pallet out.
I walk as if I rule the world or else i walk as if I don't give a damn who the heck rules the world and remember there is a hairline differences between a foolhardy and bravery.
EK GOLI DO DUSHMAN

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:40 pm

I think the velocity is higher due to loose fit of pellets in the barrel. For the first time the skirt expands and seals at the breech end, so I think a part of the pellets energy is wasted in overcoming the friction of the bore at the breech end. For the second time the skirt is trimmed off after first usage so the "loose" fit helps the pellet exit the barrel faster
Thanks Sam, another very logical explanation buddy (y) (y)
By misfire, did you mean autofire, i.e the gun fired as soon as the barrel is closed?
Nope no autofire at all. I used misfire as I could not think of anything else - in my shooting experience yesterday with pointed pellets a lot of them were literally 'spat' out as I mentioned. A few (2 or 3) even got stuck at the end of the barrel and I could actually pull them out and re use them :shock: really bloody funny!

@kanglasa :agree: I do have another pistol (Precihole) which is definitely more superior. Having said that, shooting flat head pellets today with the IHP was a better experience. I could of course re use them. By the way gentlemen no offense but it is a pellet not pallet... both are totally different!
Last edited by SMJ on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: RE: Re: Could someone explain this?

Post by SMJ » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:40 am

H