Suggestion for upgrading my Tommy M23 .177 Air rifle

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Rydersnip44
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Suggestion for upgrading my Tommy M23 .177 Air rifle

Post by Rydersnip44 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:50 am

Hello guys am Arshad from Bangalore probably new to air rifles and recently got myself a Tommy M23 .177 from a friend to start with as am a beginner in air rifles but I want to upgrade the same rifle to increase the FPS and any other upgrades recommended will I get upgrading parts for this gun please help me guys
02c4858bf4917fe014f5dee198f8d82a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Suggestion for upgrading my Tommy M23 .177 Air rifle

Post by estousandy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:44 pm

Welcome to IFG Arshad!

Do keep in mind, it's not all about FPS. FPS will increase the appropriate amount when other aspects are properly taken care of. Aim should be to make it shoot nice & tight, the right balance of FPS & accuracy. Here's what you can do.

- You need a spring compressor to safely open it. Make one.
- Take it all apart & clean all the individual parts. Use kerosene or such to remove the greasy muck.
- Polish piston & chamber to a non-mirror finish.
- Try get a synthetic washer of the right size. Not sure what M23 is like.
- Cut a few coils of mainspring if cocking is hard & grind mainspring ends to flat finish. Assuming stock spring is decent. Preload of ~1" is enough.
- Machine a new slip-fit spring guide or properly sleeve the current one. Consider a snug-fit top hat too.
- If you wanna go all the way, consider thrust bearing for your piston.
- Install nitrile rubber O-ring breech seal. Let the trigger be, it's not very safe to fiddle with it if new.
- Get 60% moly paste & lube everything inside properly. Assemble it all back properly & let it settle in a few hundred shots.

You'll know it's a good job if the vibrations & noises come down substantially which itself should result in better accuracy & power.
You can find ideas & some pics about most of the things mentioned above including the spring compressor over here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21308 . Search IFG for even more tips.

All the best.
with guns we are citizens, without we are subjects

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:45 pm

Rydersnip44 wrote:I want to upgrade the same rifle to increase the FPS and any other upgrades recommended will I get upgrading parts for this gun please help me guys
If you have a 'decent' air rifle of Indian make, eg Precihole, AAMR or SDB, it is better to zero in on a good pellet that suits your rifle best. Because no matter how much power you pump into a diabolo pellet, it is going to lose it all by 50yds.. If you choose one of those PCP pellets, you will not be able to shoot them out fast enough out of a springer to stabilize them properly...

If you have good pellet with a decent BC , it will automatically retain power and accuracy at range. Hence finding a good pellet with uniform weight and dimensions and preferably a high ballistic coefficient is more critical than ramping up power and feeding crap ammunition into the weapon.

As far as airgun power itself is concerned, even a lowly 7-8fpe in a .177 gun can get you out to 100yds iff you have your basics figured out. For hunting mice (one of the very few animals legal to kill in India), 5fpe is more than you will ever need! :D

Therefore tuning your gun for smooth firing cycle and sub MOA accuracy is what you should be looking at. For that there are ample discussions on this forum, help yourself.

Rydersnip44
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Rydersnip44 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:15 am

estousandy wrote:Welcome to IFG Arshad!

Do keep in mind, it's not all about FPS. FPS will increase the appropriate amount when other aspects are properly taken care of. Aim should be to make it shoot nice & tight, the right balance of FPS & accuracy. Here's what you can do.

- You need a spring compressor to safely open it. Make one.
- Take it all apart & clean all the individual parts. Use kerosene or such to remove the greasy muck.
- Polish piston & chamber to a non-mirror finish.
- Try get a synthetic washer of the right size. Not sure what M23 is like.
- Cut a few coils of mainspring if cocking is hard & grind mainspring ends to flat finish. Assuming stock spring is decent. Preload of ~1" is enough.
- Machine a new slip-fit spring guide or properly sleeve the current one. Consider a snug-fit top hat too.
- If you wanna go all the way, consider thrust bearing for your piston.
- Install nitrile rubber O-ring breech seal. Let the trigger be, it's not very safe to fiddle with it if new.
- Get 60% moly paste & lube everything inside properly. Assemble it all back properly & let it settle in a few hundred shots.

You'll know it's a good job if the vibrations & noises come down substantially which itself should result in better accuracy & power.
You can find ideas & some pics about most of the things mentioned above including the spring compressor over here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21308 . Search IFG for even more tips.

All the best.
Thanks Sandi [emoji4] it will help me a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rydersnip44
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Rydersnip44 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:18 am

nitroex700 wrote:
Rydersnip44 wrote:I want to upgrade the same rifle to increase the FPS and any other upgrades recommended will I get upgrading parts for this gun please help me guys
If you have a 'decent' air rifle of Indian make, eg Precihole, AAMR or SDB, it is better to zero in on a good pellet that suits your rifle best. Because no matter how much power you pump into a diabolo pellet, it is going to lose it all by 50yds.. If you choose one of those PCP pellets, you will not be able to shoot them out fast enough out of a springer to stabilize them properly...

If you have good pellet with a decent BC , it will automatically retain power and accuracy at range. Hence finding a good pellet with uniform weight and dimensions and preferably a high ballistic coefficient is more critical than ramping up power and feeding crap ammunition into the weapon.

As far as airgun power itself is concerned, even a lowly 7-8fpe in a .177 gun can get you out to 100yds iff you have your basics figured out. For hunting mice (one of the very few animals legal to kill in India), 5fpe is more than you will ever need! :D

Therefore tuning your gun for smooth firing cycle and sub MOA accuracy is what you should be looking at. For that there are ample discussions on this forum, help yourself.
Thank you bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk