choosing between precihole nx 100 and sdb artemis.

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
lover of guns
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

choosing between precihole nx 100 and sdb artemis.

Post by lover of guns » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:57 pm

Which gun should I go for between precihole nx100 and sdb artemis. I am new in the field of airgunning. I am basically a plinker. I would like to know which gun is more accurate.
Also I have heard that after some shots a springer starts loosing its velocity. So how long will it take for the sdb artemis to lose its velocity? And what are the ways of restoring its power.
On the other hand precihole nx 100 being a nitro piston gun will never lose its velocity I guess.

For Advertising mail webmaster
sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: choosing between precihole nx 100 and sdb artemis.

Post by sam 47 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:29 pm

lover of guns wrote: I would like to know which gun is more accurate.
I own both guns, and after firing well over 10k+ shots through them both, I can tell you they are both the same in department of accuracy.I can easily get groups of less than 1\2 inches at 15.5 meters from standing offhand position.(well most of the time).
lover of guns wrote: Also I have heard that after some shots a springer starts loosing its velocity. So how long will it take for the sdb artemis to lose its velocity? And what are the ways of restoring its power.
Springs generally last a long time in a springer, but the current spring that the Artemis uses is not the best one for its job. The spring loses its power after 3500 shots. The restoring of power is quite easy, take the gun apart, remove the old spring, find a aftermarket spring which fits its piston ID, and then assemble back.
lover of guns wrote: On the other hand precihole nx 100 being a nitro piston gun will never lose its velocity I guess.
My nx100 produced around 11 fpe when new. After settling down it produced 9.5-10 fpe and it still continues to produce so even after 17k+ shots.

The two biggest difference I feel there is between the Artemis and NX is the power. The NX produces 11 fpe out of box, while Artemis produces 14 fpe out of the box.The other major difference is the trigger.The trigger in the Artemis is much better than the one in NX, and the trigger can be adjusted for its weight according to one's personal preference.
And another thing is that you can tinker a springer and optimize its output according to your need. The gas piston is a sealed unit.
Keeping the above factors in mind decide whichever one is best suited for you.
"Aim small, miss small."

lover of guns
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by lover of guns » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:15 am

Thank you sam 47 for such a wonderful review on the guns.
As for changing the spring do I need professional help or can I do it myself? And have you changed the spring of your artemis? Which spring did you use ? And did it affect the power of the gun?
I am sorry for so many questions but since I am new in this field i am a bit curious. ..Thanks once again

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:57 pm

You are welcome. You can change the spring of a springer, it is a relatively simple and straight forward task if you have a mainspring compressor. It takes about 30 mins to reinstall a new spring properly. Spring compressors are easy to build and they can be easily built using a bench vise and some plywood.
Yes I have changed the mainspring of my Artemis.As I shoot a lot, I already have used up three mainsprings.
I use Cherokee model 35 mainspring, but strongly advice you not to use it.Use any other aftermarket spring or a new stock spring after the spring runs loses its power.
After changing the spring and decreasing the preload, the power of my gun has increased and it nudges at the 15 fpe limit every time I chrony it with CC app.
"Aim small, miss small."

lover of guns
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by lover of guns » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:27 am

Thank you sam 47

lover of guns
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by lover of guns » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:51 pm

How can I learn to change the spring?
I could not find any tutorials on you tube also.
How did you learn when you tried it for the first time

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:21 pm

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23444
See the link above. It shows the disassembly of the Precihole SX100 done by GNV sir. Although the Artemis is a bit different, especially in the cocking link and trigger assembly area, don't worry about it from now on. First get an air rifle and shoot and enjoy till the spring goes weak, then you can think about spring replacement, and should you face any specific problem, the members here are there to help you.
There are a few videos on you tube, but most of them are not of any help and the design of those guns are quite different from Indian airguns.
"Aim small, miss small."

Rudransh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudransh » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:18 pm

Hello Sam dear

Yaar which spring u used in Artemis after loosing the stock ones.How is smoothness after putting new spring.

Please share experiences.

Regards
Rudransh

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Rudransh wrote:
Yaar which spring u used in Artemis after loosing the stock ones.How is smoothness after putting new spring.

Please share experiences.
Used Cherokee model 35 mainspring in my Artemis after losing the stock ones. I understand that Cherokee 35 does not fit inside the piston of most Artemis's but it fits inside mine perfectly. Knowing that Cherokee mainspring is infamous for breaking into pieces, I have not kept any pre-load at the mainspring. I merely put in the piston, then the spring and cut out the portion sticking out the end of the spring tube. Free length of spring is 260 mm if I recall correctly.
The gun was savagely violent after installing a new Cherokee spring for the first 500 shots, but settled down by 1000 shots and there was hardly any difference between stock spring and this spring. And now after 2500 shots it is has quite nice a shot cycle (atleast to me). There is quite less vibration also(again by my standards) and I think the reason for the above phenomena is the tight fit of Cherokee 35 spring inside the piston of the gun.
I am quite satisfied with the current power and performance of my Artemis.
"Aim small, miss small."

lover of guns
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by lover of guns » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:50 pm

Yes that would be the be the best thing to do I guess. Thanks sam47..

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:43 pm

Anytime lover of guns.
"Aim small, miss small."

airgunner123
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by airgunner123 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:29 am

My apologies for taking over your thread; but i am in the exact predicament .... i have read from sam 47's previous post that artemis has the recurring problem of loose screws that causes aiming errors...otherwise it seems to be more attractive in terms of power and cost than nx 100...so my question to sam 47 is: has this problem persisted and does one have to tighten the screws every time?please be kind enough to reply...thank you in advance..

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:22 pm

airgunner123 wrote:so my question to sam 47 is: has this problem persisted and does one have to tighten the screws every time?please be kind enough to reply...thank you in advance..
Nope, the problem did not persist. Every springer needs time to settle down, be patient to see through this time period and you will have a winner. Should the screw continue to be lose even after 500 shots, tighten them down hard and they will remain in place. Atleast mine did and continues to do so.
"Aim small, miss small."

airgunner123
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by airgunner123 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:29 pm

thank you for the information @ sam 47...i will visit great eastern firearms in a few days time...

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Artemis has star washer on either sides below the screws.
That prevents eating of wood and locks the screw from unscrewing.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............