Makeshift Pellet Trap!

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Makeshift Pellet Trap!

Post by sam 47 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:46 pm

They might harm the gun. It is said that the two extreme weights of pellets that are generally safe in sporting 12 fpe springers are 7-11 grains. It might not shoot the pellet all the way to the end of the barrel. It does damage springs causing bending of springs, but I am not sure if it will damage the nitro piston. Even in Pyramid air website it is mentioned not to use these heavy pellets in anything but highly powerful PCPs.
As for the BC not being in Chairgun, the makers of chairgun didn't/don't have them to test their BCs and put it into their pellet database. It really will be some day when Indian pellets make up to the BC database of the international community.!! :)
"Aim small, miss small."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Eldroidism
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Eldroidism » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Oh damn, I'll refrain from using them in that case. So I guess I can't use ChairGun to calculate trajectory for Precipells?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:08 pm

Eldroidism wrote:Not sure I've noticed the recoil much but it sounded a bit more muffled, like as if it were suppressed. I don't remember why I bought them, I just wanted to try different pellets I guess. Are they harmful to the AR?
Airguns (& firearms), get louder as the projectile reaches the speed of sound and softer as the velocity drops. I see no reason why it would harm your gun - it will generate around 600fps with 15gr pellets which is what is advertised by Precihole for its .22 guns. Not harmful at all assuming they have used the same piston as in .22.
Also, while on the topic of pellets, I'm not clear on how to find the BC of Precipell Field Targets to input into ChairGun. Most other pellets already have their BCs saved in those templates. Where does one find the BC for Precipell?
I'm not sure how many people have actually tried calculating the BC since Precihole doesn't advertise it. You can try calculating it manually by measuring drop at ranges beyond 40yds if you want and share your findings with us all! Should be in the ballpark range of .01-.015.

Eldroidism
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Eldroidism » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Interesting. I was also wondering if the same Nitro piston was used in the .22, why would it matter?

With regards to BC, if I had 40 yards to shoot at, I would. Can't do much in Mumbai as my flat isn't that big. Waiting to go to Goa and play with this at the farmhouse. Or perhaps I could take the AR down in my society, and use the compound wall as a backstop (it's huge), but I'm afraid someone may call the cops on me. Never know what people may assume and I've heard stories of my friends being ragged by the cops just for walking with an AR in a bag.

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:37 pm

Eldroidism wrote:Interesting. I was also wondering if the same Nitro piston was used in the .22, why would it matter?

With regards to BC, if I had 40 yards to shoot at, I would. Can't do much in Mumbai as my flat isn't that big. Waiting to go to Goa and play with this at the farmhouse. Or perhaps I could take the AR down in my society, and use the compound wall as a backstop (it's huge), but I'm afraid someone may call the cops on me. Never know what people may assume and I've heard stories of my friends being ragged by the cops just for walking with an AR in a bag.

They might reduce the piston weight to account for lighter pellets and avoid piston slam. But I don't think this is the case since the weight and balance of the gun remains the same..

When shooting in India, avoid 'limelight' at costs.. Indians are weird creatures that love staring at anything that looks like a gun.. They can make all sorts of assumptions and resort to the most unexpected antics.. I have my run ins with angry villagers questioning my presence in the middle of nowhere jungles as well as curious onlookers who decide to go check the accuracy of my shots on target just as I am about to squeeze the trigger... In short, shoot away from 'civilians', never stray anywhere near a cop or military installation either - them sentries and constables can be very jumpy very often... :)

I believe there are many Mumbai people here. Connect with them and perhaps you can go check Lonavala ghats on weekends together with your respective beauties... ;)

Eldroidism
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Eldroidism » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:47 pm

Good advice. But even Lonavala is packed with nosey cops. What's worse? I'm afraid I'll get stopped on my bike and questioned about what's in the "case"? Seems these cops just wait for an excuse to get a bribe. I'll check with the others here and see what they're doing to fire freely!

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:31 pm

Eldroidism wrote:Good advice. But even Lonavala is packed with nosey cops. What's worse? I'm afraid I'll get stopped on my bike and questioned about what's in the "case"? Seems these cops just wait for an excuse to get a bribe. I'll check with the others here and see what they're doing to fire freely!

Indian cops rarely venture too far away from hard top roads... ;)

I have been hauling my guns on my bike for years now. Nobody catches you if you're confident. Cops are like predators - they sense 'weakness' and prey on them.. At the same time excess bravado can land one in trouble. Abiding by the laws of the land and firmly but humbly standing your ground if in trouble is usually more than enough.

Buy an innocuous looking range bag with straight clean lines - preferably in black or brown. Or buy some good foam and take an old trouser or two - with that any tailor can stitch a perfectly working range bag that looks harmless enough...

In any case .177 airguns are perfectly legal. Cops don't trouble airgunners usually. The only thing they CAN frame you for is hunting wildlife which is again very unlikely, they have more important things to do...

I Like Pie
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by I Like Pie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:45 pm

Eldroidism wrote:What's worse? I'm afraid I'll get stopped on my bike and questioned about what's in the "case"? Seems these cops just wait for an excuse to get a bribe.
While I am certain it isn't quite as bad in most of USA, Gun lovers here also have to be discrete when transporting guns. Years ago I had a motorcycle and I carried mine in a padded soft guitar case much like this one:

Most have double shoulder straps so you can wear it like a backpack on your back and casual observers just think you are carrying a guitar. Lots of room for ammo, scope and other stuff. They are also pretty cheap.

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:36 pm

Eldroidism wrote:Interesting. I was also wondering if the same Nitro piston was used in the .22, why would it matter?

Don't think that a .177 that shoots 8 gr pellets at 800 fps will shoot 15 grain pellets at 600 fps to produce the same energy. Spring guns are not that simple maths. Atleast that doesn't happen to my guns. My take on the subject is that:-
Both the .177 & 22 has the similar power-plants. So there is same amount of air being compressed and similar pressures are being developed to push the pellets. The idea is to use pellets that allow the pressure to rise to a optimum level before the pellet starts moving. But when you use so heavy pellets in .177, the force required is so high that the piston is unable to overcome it, hence it moves back causing piston bounce and bending of the spring. The .177 pellet of similar weight as a .22 pellet, the .177 has more mass concentrated at a smaller area which require a much higher pressure to make the pellet move and accelerate it than a .22 which has a larger area on which the air-force can act.So, the .177 requires much more pressure than the .22 to accelerate the pellet to the same speed, but there is no extra pressure to be applied as the power-plant is identical to the .22. Springs get ruined when such heavy pellets are fired through them. But honestly don't know what can go wrong with a nitro-piston. I guess if you can live with the shot cycle and they are accurate, there is no reason why you shouldn't use it.
Regarding BC of precipell pellets, I agree with what nitroex says.In fact I use the average at .013 and find the values to match with the results I get in the field.
"Aim small, miss small."

Eldroidism
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Eldroidism » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:10 pm

Sooo... Being the weekend and all, I took out the NX for a few rounds. I think I suck at holding still while taking aim. Also, I'm not a big fan of the default iron sights on the NX. The rear sight seems to have a rather large gap. Here are groupings of the 3 pellet brands (5 shots each) at barely 15 feet.

P = Precipell Field Target
G-H = G-Hammer
G = Geco

Note, all shots were aimed at dead centre of the cross. As you can see, the G-H seem to have dropped a lot lower than Precipells, and the Geco just seems way off and much lower. The recoil was pretty heavy while firing G-H, and it was quite difficult to insert the pellets into the breech. Some seemed rather tight, and I had to use my nail to nudge it in. I don't think I'll use them much after this.

Precipells were my favs as always, and have a very smooth shot cycle. I'd probably pick up more later as I already have two tins. I bought them for about 580 each on 10kya. Anyone know where I could get them a bit cheaper?

I still fail to understand how there is such an evident difference in grouping amongst the different brands at just 15 feet! I shudder to think what would happen out at 50 meters. Is this normal with different brands of pellets? This much of a difference?

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Eldroidism wrote:I still fail to understand how there is such an evident difference in grouping amongst the different brands at just 15 feet!
that might have to do wit your stance or hold, at 15ft all guns n almost pellets will act in same manner as there is so less room for error. A rifle pellet combo grouping well at 15mts might not group well at 50mts. So for finding out the best combo it is advised to field test it
Moulindu
Last edited by moulindu on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eldroidism
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Eldroidism » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:40 pm

I swear I've noticed this, regardless of my stance/aiming skills, the G-Hammers always hit lower and the Gecos always hit anywhere. The Precipells always hit their​ mark accurately. I'm not sure what's going on here with these other two brands, even at short range.

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:04 pm

Eldroidism wrote:I swear I've noticed this, regardless of my stance/aiming skills, the G-Hammers always hit lower and the Gecos always hit anywhere. The Precipells always hit their​ mark accurately. I'm not sure what's going on here with these other two brands, even at short range.

What's going on is a huge velocity difference (approx 200 fps) between pellets and hence shifting of zero and different ballistic curves.. Typically as you increase weight and length of projectile, keeping the caliber same, the BC shoots up quickly.. At long ranges (50yd+) the BC begins to dominate the velocity for diabolo pellets. By 50yds most of the pellet's power has been bled out and its a matter of ballistic superiority of the projectile.. Therefore the heavier pellet will shoot lower at all ranges but will deliver greater power on impact, will have a longer possible zero and shorter flight time at extreme distances despite starting 200fps slower...

For your purpose, GHammers may not be very useful, lighter pellets will give you the best experience. You can try setting up Chronoconnect app on your phone and see how the velocities vary, though the app is likely to throw some error if not properly calibrated...

Eldroidism
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: RE: Re: Makeshift Pellet Trap!

Post by Eldroidism » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:49 am

nitroex700 wrote: What's going on is a huge velocity difference (approx 200 fps) between pellets and hence shifting of zero and different ballistic curves.. Typically as you increase weight and length of projectile, keeping the caliber same, the BC shoots up quickly.. At long ranges (50yd+) the BC begins to dominate the velocity for diabolo pellets. By 50yds most of the pellet's power has been bled out and its a matter of ballistic superiority of the projectile.. Therefore the heavier pellet will shoot lower at all ranges but will deliver greater power on impact, will have a longer possible zero and shorter flight time at extreme distances despite starting 200fps slower...

For your purpose, GHammers may not be very useful, lighter pellets will give you the best experience. You can try setting up Chronoconnect app on your phone and see how the velocities vary, though the app is likely to throw some error if not properly calibrated...
Yes, well said Nitroex700! That is exactly what's happening. I knew it had something to do with the velocity difference. The G Hammers weigh twice as much as the Precipells, and they're shaped way differently. I'd assume they're traveling below 600fps. They seem to pack a powerful punch, dropped my tawa based pellet trap twice due to the impact! Makes a super loud sound too. I think I'll save them for when I want to really tear stuff up, like some hardcore plinking/breaking glass bottles on the farmhouse...

I like the Precipells a lot, very well designed, they slide into the breech perfectly, but aren't loose. The other two brands need a bit of coaxing to get them in.

Will Chronoconnect give accurate results at short ranges of 15 feet?

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: RE: Re: Makeshift Pellet Trap!

Post by nitroex700 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:17 am

Eldroidism wrote:
Yes, well said Nitroex700! That is exactly what's happening. I knew it had something to do with the velocity difference. The G Hammers weigh twice as much as the Precipells, and they're shaped way differently. I'd assume they're traveling below 600fps. They seem to pack a powerful punch, dropped my tawa based pellet trap twice due to the impact! Makes a super loud sound too. I think I'll save them for when I want to really tear stuff up, like some hardcore plinking/breaking glass bottles on the farmhouse...

I like the Precipells a lot, very well designed, they slide into the breech perfectly, but aren't loose. The other two brands need a bit of coaxing to get them in.

Will Chronoconnect give accurate results at short ranges of 15 feet?

Ghammers should be flying at 550-625fps range if they're not too tight fitting. Chronoconnect reportedly has a 'maximum' accurate range of 30ft or something like that. This is to be expected since the diabolo shape begins slowing down the pellet as soon as pellet exits muzzle. I'm fairly sure that Chronoconnect will read the average speed over the entire distance, hence the speed on target shouldn't be too different from muzzle speed for it to be accurate...