Makeshift Pellet Trap!

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Eldroidism
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Makeshift Pellet Trap!

Post by Eldroidism » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:26 pm

Sooo, it's been a few months since I've recieved my Precihole NX100, and I haven't had much time with it on the farmhouse or at a range. So I came up with this contraption!

A make shift bullet trap to aid in reducing ricochet at close range, and to protect my walls from major damage.

As you can see, it's simply a couple layers of cardboard with a steel pan lid sandwiched between. The entire thing is held together with some rope, and I place paper targets infront of it during practice. The .177 pellets get collected between the lid and cardboard sheets and make it less of a mess in the house.

Now, here's the fun part. I've barely fired approximately​ 50 shots at it, and here is the outcome:

There are dents all over, and a gaping hole, almost an inch wide, at the part most shot at! The metal lid is fairly thick, I would say, and not made of cheap quality. I've now replaced the lid with an old tawa made of cast iron, and that is holding up well. Not even a dent in that (obviously) as it is a solid, thick piece.

Let this little experiment of mine be a testament to the colossal damage a Precihole NX100 can produce at short range (6-8meters). Quite a powerful air rifle, wouldn't y'all say?

Pellets used were the dome shaped Precipel Field Targets. Best for NX100 in my opinion.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Eldroidism on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Makeshift Pellet Trap!

Post by nitroex700 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:36 am

This is to be expected.. It would be unwise to underestimate even 2-3fpe power... With that much remaining power my plywood targets get dented by 1mm or so very often at long ranges... Keep at it a bit longer and you will shoot through your wall too! :P :twisted:

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:49 pm

I have had a very similar experience. In a shooting session spanning around 50 shots, I punched through not only a stout steel plate, but nearly through the perimeter wall of our house as well. It was using flat head pellets at 15.5m, I think domes would have put a hole in the wall. Sadly no one appreciated the fact that I had shot 50 shots through the same hole. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Aim small, miss small."

Eldroidism
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Eldroidism » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Woah, that's neat Sam! BTW, were you shooting .177 or .22?

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Hi all, i have made my pellet trap using an empty oil tin stuffed with coconut fibers available at home.It successfully traps any high speed pellet and also there is no noise of pellet hitting the trap.The maintenance is also easy and also very much portable.
With regards,
vsraja

Eldroidism
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: RE: Re: Makeshift Pellet Trap!

Post by Eldroidism » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:39 pm

vsraja wrote:Hi all, i have made my pellet trap using an empty oil tin stuffed with coconut fibers available at home.It successfully traps any high speed pellet and also there is no noise of pellet hitting the trap.The maintenance is also easy and also very much portable.
That's a nice idea! Will keep in mind for my next design [emoji4]

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:43 pm

vsraja wrote:Hi all, i have made my pellet trap using an empty oil tin stuffed with coconut fibers available at home.It successfully traps any high speed pellet and also there is no noise of pellet hitting the trap.The maintenance is also easy and also very much portable.
pellet trap silent jpg.jpg

This is my silent trap.I can also say that not even a single pellet reaches the back side of that trap.I had more than 1500 shots through that.Even a pellet from hurricane cant reach even half the distance of the trap, it can be achieved by proper stuffing of the fiber.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
With regards,
vsraja

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:30 am

Eldroidism wrote:Woah, that's neat Sam! BTW, were you shooting .177 or .22?

I was shooting .177s @ 15 fpe. At sub-15 fpe, .177 pellets at higher velocities and lower surface area penetrates far more than a .22. Nowadays I don't shoot .22 much because .22 pellets are very difficult to obtain.

Excellent idea about the silent pellet catcher vsraja, will give it a try. (y)
"Aim small, miss small."

Eldroidism
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Eldroidism » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:28 am

sam 47 wrote:
Eldroidism wrote:Woah, that's neat Sam! BTW, were you shooting .177 or .22?

I was shooting .177s @ 15 fpe. At sub-15 fpe, .177 pellets at higher velocities and lower surface area penetrates far more than a .22. Nowadays I don't shoot .22 much because .22 pellets are very difficult to obtain.

Excellent idea about the silent pellet catcher vsraja, will give it a try. (y)
I didn't quite understand your statement. So you're saying that .177 pellets have better penetration when fired at fpe lower than 15? Isn't that counterintuitive? Wouldn't a pellet fired with higher muzzle energy have more penetrative power? Am I missing something here?

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:50 am

Eldroidism wrote: . So you're saying that .177 pellets have better penetration when fired at fpe lower than 15?
That's not what I am saying. I am saying .177 pellets penetrate better when compared to the .22 pellets at energy levels of 15-fpe or any energy level for that matter. The results are just more definitive when tested at sub-15 fpe than say at 25 fpe.
"Aim small, miss small."

Eldroidism
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Eldroidism » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:31 am

Okay, I see. I got confused because I read somewhere that .177s perform better at lower (subsonic) velocities. As they go supersonic, turbulence at that speed makes them unstable and they lose their accuracy and ultimately tumble mid-flight. So they say, for max accuracy ARs below 1000fps or so are best. Is this true?

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:37 pm

Yes, pellets can't hit a thing when they go supersonic.The upper limit for AR pellets is the sound barrier, that is around 1100 fps. That being said, if your gun is clocking more than 1000 fps and reaching around 1020 fps limit, it is best to use a heavier pellet. I had once fired a Gamo hunter extreme advertised at 1600 fps , and I never ever wish to use it again. 8)
"Aim small, miss small."

Eldroidism
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Eldroidism » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Hahahahahahaha... I'll take your word for it. Here are the pellets I purchased from 10kya along with my NX100. The Precipell Field Target is 8.7gr, Gamo G-Hammer are 15.4gr (1g) and the Geco Superpoint are 7.7 gr. Do you think it is safe to fire the G-Hammers as they're so heavy? The hits on all 3 are way different, even at close range. I feel the most accurate are the Precipells, I can land multiple shots on top of one another. The most difficult are the G-Hammers. Any knowledge you can impart about these pellets? Have you used them before? (Referring to Gamo and Geco)

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:27 pm

IMHO, 15.4 gr pellets in .177 are just wayy to heavy for a 12 fpe springer. :o I use 15 grain pellets for the .22 NX100. Aren't there any noticeable differences in the shot cycle and felt recoil between the 8.7 gr precipell and 15.4 gr pellets?
There was a perceptible difference in felt recoil and vibration that was caused by 20 grain ammo in my Scorpius, which I believe was caused due to excessive piston bounce.
"Aim small, miss small."

Eldroidism
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Eldroidism » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:38 pm

Not sure I've noticed the recoil much but it sounded a bit more muffled, like as if it were suppressed. I don't remember why I bought them, I just wanted to try different pellets I guess. Are they harmful to the AR? Also, while on the topic of pellets, I'm not clear on how to find the BC of Precipell Field Targets to input into ChairGun. Most other pellets already have their BCs saved in those templates. Where does one find the BC for Precipell?