GenNex- Excellent Choice for New Shooters

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
alameinite
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: GenNex- Excellent Choice for New Shooters

Post by alameinite » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:41 am

Great going Basu Sir.
I got 3 ARs besides my Brno,but have not had a chance to go plinking in woods. I satisfy myself with shooting at a backyard 30-odd metre range. I generally look more for power and penetration in an AR. So, talking about Gen Nex,would you be kind enough to testfire a domed pellet through it at a refined out tin at around 10m. Thats my kinda test to see power and penetration.

Sent from my LG-F320L using Tapatalk
"The hills are barren, cold and steep, But I have promises to keep,
A lot to sweat , Before I sleep,...And Miles to run before I sleep.."
:cheers:

For Advertising mail webmaster
Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:52 am

Dear green rifle,
It has always been a trade off between power and accuracy.
I happened to test all three ARs in new condition.
Artemis , I found little too powerful against its weight of 3.2 kgs.Honestly I could not manage it in its new condition.
This gun is too beautiful.
My purchase of Sport was inspired by IFgian Harshavardhan, who has Apache and Sport too.
At 3 kgs, Sport a awesome mix of power and accuracy , from the day one I could able to establish my control over this AR.
This gun is cheaper.
GenNex is my most favorite Specially at my age when I prefer soft cocking and less weight. :mrgreen:
All the above three ARs are excellent yet I will prefer Sport as a best field gun due to shorter size and weight.

@alammeinite- Once I get the chance, surely put pics.of the penetration . GenNex expected to settle around 630-660 fps.A few may be different.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

greenrifle
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: RE: Re: GenNex- Excellent Choice for New Shooters

Post by greenrifle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:01 am

Basu wrote:Dear green rifle,
It has always been a trade off between power and accuracy.
I happened to test all three ARs in new condition.
Artemis , I found little too powerful against its weight of 3.2 kgs.Honestly I could not manage it in its new condition.
This gun is too beautiful.
My purchase of Sport was inspired by IFgian Harshavardhan, who has Apache and Sport too.
At 3 kgs, Sport a awesome mix of power and accuracy , from the day one I could able to establish my control over this AR.
This gun is cheaper.
GenNex is my most favorite Specially at my age when I prefer soft cocking and less weight. :mrgreen:
All the above three ARs are excellent yet I will prefer Sport as a best field gun due to shorter size and weight.

@alammeinite- Once I get the chance, surely put pics.of the penetration . GenNex expected to settle around 630-660 fps.A few may be different.

Basu
Thank you Basu Da.. This will help all the members and SDB fans to take decision

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

sudipta
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by sudipta » Tue May 02, 2017 10:43 am

Hello All,

This is my first post to the forum so allow me a brief introduction please. Though I have joined some time back but I was busy reading a lot of posts and gather information for my second air gun. I had purchased my first airgun from Great Eastern at Calcutta in the year 1990 which is a Lion & Lion brand and .22 caliber. I have been using it intermittently till recently without much concern of maintenance. I have kept it in mint condition by regular oiling and cleaning but I realized it is time for a proper overhaul and move to something new as well. So I joined this forum to gather information. Currently located at Hyderabad for last 14 years but cannot underestimate the Calcutta (now Kolkata but I still prefer the earlier name, personal choice) connection.

Based on my research from the posts of seniors and my preference of expectations from the new air gun, I zeroed in on Gennex. My father-in-law recently had experienced my first air gun and showed keen interest. So I have utilized his enthusiasm and availability (currently retired) at Kolkata and got him connected with my namesake at SDB. What happened next is close to a dream come true. I get a beautiful looking, brown polish and awesome tuned Gennex professionally packed and purchased from Great Eastern Kolkata and carried along with my father-in-law last week.

Also my research said I can try to buy a cheap scope to try the delivery at Hyderabad given it is far away from Kolkata and may not get thru Kolkata Customs. Guess what, I had it delivered yesterday at my house.

So I have a beautiful gun looking even more dashing with a scope on it. I am yet to adjust the scope and probably have shot around 200 rounds so I will restrain to comment on the performance but I must say the initial accuracy, power and speed has exceeded my expectation.

Once again, thanks to all the Seniors, especially Basuda, for the great information posted in this forum. This wouldn't have happened without your inputs.

Thanks, Sudipta

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Tue May 02, 2017 3:53 pm

sudipta wrote:Though I have joined some time back but I was busy reading a lot of posts and gather information for my second air gun.
It's really nice to see someone has researched the forum to gain knowledge and info. It's sickening to see lot of new members who do not bother to research, but post questions that have been discussed a zillion times.
Do enjoy your new toy and please keep us updated.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

sudipta
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by sudipta » Wed May 03, 2017 8:09 am

Thanks a lot BD for your kind words. I would love to be in touch with you outside this forum as well knowing that we both are from Hyderabad and further my hobby under your experienced knowledgebase of the opportunities this city provides in this sport.

My next plan is to visit the Gachibowli range and check out the options I have to use my Gennex and in the process learn a few tricks in the 10 mt air rifle shooting category. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:59 pm

I received a GenNex today from Kolkatta. Shipped by Post parcel in a wooden box. INR 5,700/- incl shipping. It came in the usual SDB fashion stock and action as separate units in the same box.
CIMG0008.JPG
I suspect there is a slight barrel droop in my gun
CIMG0009.JPG
The stock is very beautiful from outside. I thought it was the usual wood dye and oil finish. But found it to be different later.
It has some kind of checkering ( not regular ) similar to a PH gun. Small dimples on fore grip and pistol grip.
CIMG0015.JPG
CIMG0016.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

greenrifle
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by greenrifle » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:03 pm

GNV wrote:I received a GenNex today from Kolkatta. Shipped by Post parcel in a wooden box. INR 5,700/- incl shipping. It came in the usual SDB fashion stock and action as separate units in the same box.
CIMG0008.JPG
I suspect there is a slight barrel droop in my gun
CIMG0009.JPG
The stock is very beautiful from outside. I thought it was the usual wood dye and oil finish. But found it to be different later.
It has some kind of checkering ( not regular ) similar to a PH gun. Small dimples on fore grip and pistol grip.
CIMG0015.JPG
CIMG0016.JPG
Nice weapon enjoy shooting GNV gi..

GreenRifle

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:16 pm

The cutting of the stock for the action is very precise but finishing of the wood not visible from outside is very poor as you can see from these below pics
CIMG0019.JPG
CIMG0020.JPG
CIMG0026.JPG
CIMG0025.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

greenrifle
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by greenrifle » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Was there any cracks in the stock.. from above pics I also doubt there maybe slight barrel drop..

GreenRifle

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:26 pm

They didn't bother to clean the stock fixing side screw and foresight element hole either after cutting the thread.
CIMG0032.JPG
CIMG0033.JPG
And to think that all it takes is a couple of passes of a file before bluing these parts is........well you know. It seems as if the makers think that the buyer could always do it himself. IT WILL DO ATTITUDE. [ CHALAEGA YAAR attitude }. I don't like it.
I didn't find this attitude only with PH and AARMR.
The spring etc were liberally coated with Moly as can be seen in this pic. Too much I think. But there was no dieseling when I fired the gun.
CIMG0030.JPG
The muzzle was crowned but poorly done.
CIMG0041.JPG
Added in 5 minutes 21 seconds:
The breach seal is synthetic. It seems as if the face of the seal was trimmed with a blade.
CIMG0047.JPG
CIMG0039.JPG
I didn't like the brass or gold plated trigger
CIMG0028.JPG
Added in 7 minutes 37 seconds:
The breach seal is synthetic. It seems as if the face of the seal was trimmed with a blade.
CIMG0047.JPG
CIMG0039.JPG
The trigger
CIMG0028.JPG
I fitted the action in the stock and installed my 3-9x32 AO scope on it. A pretty little Air Rifle it looked.
CIMG0043.JPG
Added in 16 minutes 39 seconds:
When I shouldered the gun it felt good. Balance point is just in front of the trigger guard.
I was told that this gun shoots well with United Shot RH and Master Shot Flat Heads very well. I was also told that the new 0.177" Cal barrels on SDB Guns are unlike the old SDB barrels and now they take imported pellets well.
But it is not so. The only Indian pellets I have are G Smith High Impact and they are too tight fit in this barrel. So are all the other imported pellets I have. I got these pellets for my soon to be received PH PCP. This gun simply doesn't shoot these pellets with any degree of accuracy. The barrel is too tight for these pellets and the groups had shown it clearly. The heads of these pellets are too big for this barrel and you have to force them in. So I stopped wasting my little supply of these pellets.

Added in 3 minutes 48 seconds:
I shall order United Shot and Master Shot pellets.

Added in 12 minutes 12 seconds:
AS I sat admiring my new gun I noticed something on the butt near the white spacer.
CIMG0018.JPG
There is a gap between the white spacer and the butt end in the middle. I wanted to correct this. Also there is a gap between the white spacer and the rubber butt pad at the top.
So I removed the Rubber Butt Pad and found this inside.
CIMG0049.JPG
CIMG0050.JPG
I emptied the saw dust and cleaned the cavities in the butt.
This shows how much they care about properly finishing their products.

Added in 2 minutes 22 seconds:
Typical Chalaegaa Yaar attitude.

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:35 pm

greenrifle wrote:Was there any cracks in the stock.. from above pics I also doubt there maybe slight barrel drop..

GreenRifle

Barrel drop is NOT the physical view of the barrel positioning. It has been beautifully explained by one of our most respected members. More info on this link viewtopic.php?t=23219.

GNV garu,

That wooden border defenetly needs addressing. I do hope SDB will understand that little things mean a lot. Looking forward to the report. I'm looking at a Artimes though. My wish list now include a PH PCP, Artimes and a TX200. Of course not together. If I get it together, the lady of the house won't open the door ROTFL

BD

BD

Added in 5 minutes 38 seconds:
GNV wrote:
Added in 12 minutes 12 seconds:
AS I sat admiring my new gun I noticed something on the butt near the white spacer.
CIMG0018.JPG

There is a gap between the white spacer and the butt end in the middle. I wanted to correct this. Also there is a gap between the white spacer and the rubber butt pad at the top.
So I removed the Rubber Butt Pad and found this inside.
CIMG0049.JPG
CIMG0050.JPG
I emptied the saw dust and cleaned the cavities in the butt.
This shows how much they care about properly finishing their products.

Added in 2 minutes 22 seconds:
Typical Chalaegaa Yaar attitude.
Damn!!! A kick on the butt won't do!!!!

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:48 am

Then I got curious about the thick matter at the top left in my third from last photo and scratched it with my finger nail. The result is this.
CIMG0053.JPG
CIMG0054.JPG
The finishing on the wood is not wood dye and some polish as I thought but some paint or synthetic coating. It was laid thick at this area and had become brittle. When I scratched it it chipped as shown in the picture and came off. I tried to glue the chipped parts with super glue but not successful entirely. Now it looks like this.
CIMG0055.JPG
Curiosity killed the cat. It was said.

Added in 2 minutes 25 seconds:
greenrifle wrote:Was there any cracks in the stock.. from above pics I also doubt there maybe slight barrel drop..

GreenRifle

The cracks you mentioned about may not be cracks in the wood but cracks in the finishing where it was thickly applied or didn't adhere to the wood properly.
GNV

Added in 1 hour 45 minutes 45 seconds:
The only solace is I find the pull length of this gun is about 1/4 " longer than which is ideal for me and so I intend to carefully sand away 1/4 th inch from the butt end without spoiling the finish and fix the rubber butt plate.

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:58 am

GNV wrote: I intend to carefully sand away 1/4 th inch from the butt end without spoiling the finish and fix the rubber butt plate.
The butt being conical, once you saw off /sand away part of the butt, the rubber plate is bound to protrude. This happened in one of my guns. After sawing off part of the butt, I traced the new outline of the butt on the plate, cut out the rubber roughly with a knife, stuck sand paper to an old Hole Saw drill bit and used the drill to finely polish off the sides...... Cosmetic of course. :lol:

BD

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Most callous........
How came saw dust be there...... :evil:
I never felt like opening the the butt pad in any of my ARs so far at any stage.
This exposes the "chalta hai " mentality. :agree:

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............