My air gun cocks but does not fire pellets

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
avihkd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

My air gun cocks but does not fire pellets

Post by avihkd » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:47 pm

Hello every one! I have recently purchased an UTA Ranger 0.22 cal. I found the gun is pretty good for occasional plinking, have already shot little more than 1000 pellets without any problem. Everything was going well until recently I faced with this problem: my air gun cocks but does not fire pellets. The pellets get stuck in the barrel itself. Have checked the barrel and found it is neat & cline. What is the reason behind such behaviour of my gun? What are the possible solutions? Please help!

For Advertising mail webmaster
sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: My air gun cocks but does not fire pellets

Post by sam 47 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:43 am

It seems your gun lacks the power to even push out the pellet through the barrel!! I think you have to disassemble the gun. (hope you have a spring compressor). Does the gun make any kind of noise when you cock it ?? If so I suspect the leather piston seal may have dried up completely and not acting as a effective sealant. You may also want to check for bent\broken mainspring while you disassemble and replace the the mainspring.
"Aim small, miss small."

avihkd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by avihkd » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:31 pm

Yes, the gun makes normal sound while cocking ...no such noise really. If your suspect goes well and I find the seal is actually dried up, what should I do next? I m planning to make one compressor!!

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:29 pm

avihkd wrote:Yes, the gun makes normal sound while cocking ...no such noise really. If your suspect goes well and I find the seal is actually dried up, what should I do next? I m planning to make one compressor!!
Very well make a spring compressor, it is a invaluable tool.
If the leather seal is dry , rejuvenate it with oil piston and breech seal alike. With a thousand shots you should be able to get a perceptible difference in sound. Get yourself a medical syringe of 10 rupees.It is a excellent tool for putting oil in fully assembled guns. Take half ml singer machine oil in it, and pour half of it directly into the transfer port, let the gun stand on its butt for a night. And take a drop of oil in your finger, spread it with your thumb and apply it evenly on the breech seal. After 1 night the seals will have softened up and supple and will work fine again. Dont worry about dieseling, all guns shooting above 550 fps will diesel, its detonation or severe dieseling due to over oiling that damages guns and send accuracy haywire. Detonation is practically unheard of in leather sealed guns, unless of course you put 10 ml petrol in the compression chamber.
That was the easy solution. Far better option is disassemble the gun. See whats wrong and if the main spring is okay or broken or bent. Change the spring and decrease the preload if you open the gun. Soak the leather seal in a thin film of oil if you get it out , and wipe of the excess while reassembling. Polish all the internals to a mirror finish except the trigger mating surface with sand paper. Lubricate it with moly grease. You can also change the leather seals to synthetic. Drastically reduce the amount of oil if you change the seals to synthetic.
The uta ranger is not gun worthy of this much labour. Simply open the gun,, wipe it clean with a cloth, oil the seals, a little grease in the piston and spring, change the spring if need be and put it back together.
And donot build a compressor to the dimensions of one gun specifically , allow for the parts to move so that you can disassemble a wide variety of guns.Since you are going to the trouble of making a spring compressor, I don't think you will be limited to a single gun for along time.
"Aim small, miss small."

avihkd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by avihkd » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:34 pm

Such an easy and detailed suggestion! ....Shall follow your first suggestion first, and get back to you soon. Bye the way, can you suggest a piston seal brand for the Ranger and where I shall I get it from? Thanks.

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:20 pm

Try kovibazaar or any other online dealer, take the measurements and ask them mentioning size and name of gun. You can also buy it from local gun stores, but it is advisable to take the piston out of the gun and to the shop. That way you will be sure of compatibility of products. As for brands I think any leather seal will do, but get a Gsmith if you want to spend.
"Aim small, miss small."

avihkd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by avihkd » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Dissembled the rifle today and found that the piston is broken!! Top part (around 1 inch) of the piston got stuck inside the chamber. I have no idea how to get it out!! Please help.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:48 pm

Very rare case :shock: .
Take out the barrel part from action.
Then through transferport put a 3 mm nail and push, if need be use light hammer.
Get a new piston from market and reassemble.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:40 pm

avihkd wrote:Dissembled the rifle today and found that the piston is broken!! Top part (around 1 inch) of the piston got stuck inside the chamber. I have no idea how to get it out!! Please help.
My friend, a gun which breaks its piston after 1000 shots is not worth shooting any more. No matter what you do, it will keep on breaking down again and again and have problems. :deadhorse: Today a spring will break, tomorrow the trigger will autofire and after that sights and the screws will come apart. I have experience first hand experience in this matter, and you will spend more on repairs and modifications than the original cost of the gun.
By the way did you dry fire the gun very much?
As it is .22 is banned now. Get a .177 rifle of some quality and enjoy.
However if you want to use this only, as Basuda has told push out with a nail and hammer, and from the cocking slot onwards push it with the help of a screwdriver all the way out. If the nail is unable to push it out upto the cocking slot, try with a eyeglass screwdriver or the thin rods found in umbrellas.
Get a new piston from kovibazaar, a leather seal and assemble. you can get from local shops also.
In what condition is the mainspring? It might also help to get a trigger set from kovibazaar, if the piston of a gun breaks with so little use, the trigger is going to fail sooner or later.
"Aim small, miss small."

avihkd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by avihkd » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 pm

Basu wrote:Very rare case :shock: .
Take out the barrel part from action.
Then through transferport put a 3 mm nail and push, if need be use light hammer.
Get a new piston from market and reassemble.

Basu

Thank you so much Basu Da.

avihkd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by avihkd » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:12 pm

sam 47 wrote:
avihkd wrote:Dissembled the rifle today and found that the piston is broken!! Top part (around 1 inch) of the piston got stuck inside the chamber. I have no idea how to get it out!! Please help.
My friend, a gun which breaks its piston after 1000 shots is not worth shooting any more. No matter what you do, it will keep on breaking down again and again and have problems. :deadhorse: Today a spring will break, tomorrow the trigger will autofire and after that sights and the screws will come apart. I have experience first hand experience in this matter, and you will spend more on repairs and modifications than the original cost of the gun.
By the way did you dry fire the gun very much?
As it is .22 is banned now. Get a .177 rifle of some quality and enjoy.
However if you want to use this only, as Basuda has told push out with a nail and hammer, and from the cocking slot onwards push it with the help of a screwdriver all the way out. If the nail is unable to push it out upto the cocking slot, try with a eyeglass screwdriver or the thin rods found in umbrellas.
Get a new piston from kovibazaar, a leather seal and assemble. you can get from local shops also.
In what condition is the mainspring? It might also help to get a trigger set from kovibazaar, if the piston of a gun breaks with so little use, the trigger is going to fail sooner or later.

I hardly dry fire my gun. Let me try my luck with your advice. Get back to you soon.

sathvik
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sathvik » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:36 am

Hello.
Your weapons spring and piston has worn out just replace it . No other issues. Don't try to fire pillets as it may clog the barrel

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:31 pm

sathvik wrote:Hello.
Your weapons spring and piston has worn out just replace it . No other issues. Don't try to fire pillets as it may clog the barrel

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
"Spring piston air guns dont wear out, they wear in." Dr.Beeman has famously said. After 1000 shots, the spring guns get better, they break in which means the powerplant becomes smoother and better, the spring gets tamed and it increases its accuracy.
Breaking the piston and wearing out the spring just after 1000 shots in a spring-piston air rifle is a very very serious issue, and suggests a poorly made gun.
May I ask what he will shoot in his airgun other than pellets? :? :roll: As for the problem he currently has, there is no question of clogging, and the gun is already disassembled.
"Aim small, miss small."

avihkd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by avihkd » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:33 pm

Sam 47 has rightly understood my problem from the beginning, even b4 I myself cud realise the problem . I have already disassembled the rifle and found the top part of my piston broken inside, so there is no question of clogging . Thankfully, I successfully brought that piece out following the instruction of Basu Da. Just wondering if I should invest on this UTI rifle any more! Thinking to get one good quality air rifle...may be SDB Artemis!

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:28 pm

avihkd wrote: Thinking to get one good quality air rifle...may be SDB Artemis!
That is sensible. You know, I had spent Rs 6000 on the Gd 600 for repairs and modifications, the gun's cost was Rs 4800 . Even after doing all modifications, there was no improvement- at all. Like you, my very first posts on this forum were what could I do to keep my gun from breaking down. Over the last 3 yeas I have studied the spring piston powerplant, and have done what any ordinary man with ordinary means could do. Yet still, the gun still auto fires which is a big safety hazard, and is a nightmare to handle and shoot. At last I got enlightened.
As for the SDB Artemis, yes it is indeed a quality air gun, I have never seen a spring piston powerplant put together and assembled in any better way and when I first disassembled it, I was surprised by the tight tolerance and sheer quality of the powerplant. Simple it is , but they have done it surprisingly well giving you power, accuracy and a smooth shot cycle all at the same time. The gun will go through 3500 shots before you need to change the mainspring of your gun and that is all you will have to probably ever do.
"Aim small, miss small."