need expert opinion for buying a new rifle like which brand and caliber etc

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
nura_karthikk
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

need expert opinion for buying a new rifle like which brand and caliber etc

Post by nura_karthikk » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:31 am

Hello All firing experts,

I am Arunk from Trichy. I am very passionate in shooting and my dad didnt supported me in my childhood. now i am working and can able to buy a rifle for my home / backyard usage. I am really confused how to identify a perfect air rifle for me like which brand, caliber and which website or any shops in trichy or near by, etc..

I am seeking expert advice for me to proceed further. I am thinking of going with huligun.com since I have seen more positive comments from you guys.

I am thinking of buying SDB Artemis Air Rifle 4.5 mm (0.177 cal) for Professional Long Range Target Practice

Need your advice. Its 100% my home / backyard usage at present and may be i join to rifle club trichy later.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Arunkarthikeyan S

For Advertising mail webmaster
Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Re: need expert opinion for buying a new rifle like which brand and caliber etc

Post by Basu » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:04 pm

For long range shooting , you have to have a gun , which has solid punch.
As I understand that Artemis has adequate punch for 50 yds shooting.
Fellow member sam47 has the same AR.
His comments are more valuable.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

nura_karthikk
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by nura_karthikk » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:57 pm

Dear Basu sir,
Thanks for your reply.

Dear Sam47,
could you please share your buying experience. I am planning from huligun.com because i just saw their website at first place itself. Is there any other options available. I have seen some post that mentioned easrtern fire arms from kolkata. guys please suggest.

Dear Vidya,
I believe you too have same air rifle model i mentioned above in my first post. Could you please also suggest me for your side..

Thanks to all for their kind help/advise.

Arunkarthikeyan S

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:03 pm

In my own personal opinion artemis is currently the best spring piston air rifle in India. it generates 12.8-13.4 fpe out of the box, and nears 14 fpe after breaking in. the rifle is very extremely accurate with master shot wadcutters within 20m, and i have hunted crows up to 50 m with it. the rifle puts pellets within 1\4th of an inch in my backyard of 15.5 regularly . the trigger is adjustable, and when adjusted becomes a delight. out of box pull is around 2 kg, mine is adjusted at 800 grams. the sights are adjustable and gives a very satisfactory zero and does not loose point of aim often. overall it is as good as it gets without breaking magnum power levels. once you master the hold of the rifle , you will hit your target very often.
in case your rifle has any defects the manufacturer takes responsibility and will repair it.
I dont know if it is good enough for professional long range shooting, but for backyard snipers like me :mrgreen: it is damn good.
at 50 m you can expect 2.5-3 inch groups with open sights and proper hold and pellets.
veervadhra has the gun in .22, and he too believes it is a very good rifle.
"Aim small, miss small."

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:08 pm

I bought the rifle over the counter from great eastern firearms kolkata for 9k. i dont have any experience with huligun, but i have dealt with kovibazaar and i prefer them for buying guns and accessories online. you can also choose the colour of the stock from kovibazaar. price at kovibazaar is around 11.5k last i checked.
"Aim small, miss small."

PRITAM PATEL
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by PRITAM PATEL » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:53 pm

sam 47 wrote:In my own personal opinion artemis is currently the best spring piston air rifle in India.it generates 12.8-13.4 fpe out of the box, and nears 14 fpe after breaking in.the rifle is very extremely accurate with master shot wadcutters within 20m, andi have hunted crows up to 50 m with it. .
??? Mods ???

do we need some law abiding practice among members of IFG ?

regards
"Men like us don't deserve to die in the bed, field would be a batter option"

Optional : Proper inglish n gramer

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:04 pm

I think common crows fall under Schedule 5 of the Wildlife Protection Act 1972,and that it can be hunted. And 14 fpe in Joules is around 19 Joules,which I think is within the 20 Joule limit set by Arms Rules 2016. I don't see anything illegal going on here.
I maybe wrong though.

nura_karthikk
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by nura_karthikk » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:35 am

Dear Sam47,
Thanks for sharing your views. Also i thank to all who responded my post.

Guys, one thing i want to tell you all that please please don't kill any birds/animals for your passion/desire or whatever the reason. Kill only if you are in the situation that need to get out yourself safe like that.

Its my humble request. Its also a living thing in the world. So please let they live together with us. Humans are the last species in the universe and we are the one kills all other species for our living / passion etc etc.

Please guys try stop this kind of killing....Sorry if i hurt you...

Thanks,
Arunkarthikeyan S

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:06 am

Common crows and bandicoots (rats) can be killed for pest control as per schedule V of the wildlife protection act.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:08 am

:agree:

The power of Artemis is very much with in the ambit of proposed rule 2016.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:50 am

PRITAM PATEL wrote:
sam 47 wrote:In my own personal opinion artemis is currently the best spring piston air rifle in India.it generates 12.8-13.4 fpe out of the box, and nears 14 fpe after breaking in.the rifle is very extremely accurate with master shot wadcutters within 20m, andi have hunted crows up to 50 m with it. .
??? Mods ???

do we need some law abiding practice among members of IFG ?

regards
I dont know if the 2016 arms act has been passed it yet or not, but still,
Here is the copy from the arms act 2016.
(3) Sale or transfer by the authorised arms and ammunition dealer or the air weapon dealer of air weapons
including air rifles and air guns having muzzle energy less than 20 joules or 15 ft. lbs.and/or bore less than
0.177”or 4.5 mm shall be made against obtaining of an identification and residence proof from the buyer
thereof and against issuance of an invoice containing the said particulars at the time of sale.

copied from indian wildlife protection act 19722.
SCHEDULE V
(Sections 2, 8, 61 and 62) 1.
Common crow
{2. •••]
3. Fruit bats
[4. ••*]
5. Mice
6. Rats \7. •••]
1 Inserted vide Noti. No. 1-4/95, dt. 5-12-2001 & corrected vide corrigendum Noti. No. 1-
4/95/WL-l, dt. 19-2-2002.
2 Vide Notification No. FJ 11012/31 /76 FRY(WL), dt. 5-10-1977.

Seeing your horrible knowledge of Indian laws, i am mentioning that schedule 5 are considered as legal varmints and can be hunted freely.
Did you presume that the legal muzzle energy is 12 fpe? How astonishing that indians are still clinging to British rules even after almost 70 years of independence. :shock: No wonder they ruled us for 200 years.
Now , dont we need members who knows the laws before making accusations of illegal activity to other fellow members? :deadhorse:

Added in 27 minutes 15 seconds:
nura_karthikk wrote: Guys, one thing i want to tell you all that please please don't kill any birds/animals for your passion/desire or whatever the reason. Kill only if you are in the situation that need to get out yourself safe like that.

Its my humble request. Its also a living thing in the world. So please let they live together with us. Humans are the last species in the universe and we are the one kills all other species for our living / passion etc etc.

Please guys try stop this kind of killing....Sorry if i hurt you...

Thanks,
Arunkarthikeyan S
If rats and crows cannot be hunted and should live together with us in "harmony" , humans will soon be the first species in the 21st century to undergo mass extinction. I hope you have heard about the great plague & rat explosion in australia. the different plants and animals are bound to each other by the "food chain", not love bond. Uncontrolled nos. of feral dogs, rats , crows etc. only give us the benefit of loss of crops, & spread of filth and diseases. As govt does not control them in "sophisticated ways", hunting of legal species is the only viable option.
I hunt every legal animal. If rats are killed by mortien poison and street dogs are run over it doesnot bother people, only the killing with guns that draws the flak, despite the fact shooting with a gun provides the most humane & quick death.
Any how, i see you are an anti-hunter, & I dont intend to offend or disrespect you, was only sharing my views. I simply gave the example of the crow to show to you the power and range of the rifle you intend to buy. My apologies if I may have offended you.
"Aim small, miss small."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:58 am

Incidentally the new Arms Rules state calibre should be BELOW .177, I don't know if anyone manufacturing airguns in a calibre which is below .177 hence a literal reading of the rules means that ALL airguns now need a license :roll:
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

nura_karthikk
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by nura_karthikk » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:35 am

Dear Sam47,
Thanks for your reply again. I agree with your words.

I am not buying SDB for killing birds/animals but may be i try with rats as you said. Anyway thanks for all your suggestions and information's. Its really helpful. I have decided to buy SDB Artemis Air Rifle 4.5 mm (0.177 cal) for Professional Long Range Target Practice in either Kovibazzar or Great Eastern fire arms, Kolkata.

I am working in Malaysia and coming to my home town (trichy, tamilnadu) for vacation on this Christmas holidays and before that i will try to get it.

Thanks guys,
Arunkarthikeyan S

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:45 am

Only BB guns are manufactured below .177, they are 4.4 mm. But in other parts of the rule it says that bore above .177 / 4.5 mm or above 15 fpe will require a valid arms license. I hope they intend to say that all calibers except .177 are banned. I am praying that this rule is never passed by the parliament.
"Aim small, miss small."

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:54 pm

ncidentally the new Arms Rules state calibre should be BELOW .177, I don't know if anyone manufacturing airguns in a calibre which is below .177 hence a literal reading of the rules means that ALL airguns now need a license :roll:
In that case would it not have been more simple to state all air guns need a license, why the need to mention bore size and fpe especially when nothing is made below .177 :D