Shooting for a living

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Shooting for a living

Post by satyam » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:43 am

I am presently in class 12 and I have taken the daring decision of choosing shooting as my career.This means my studies will be neglected after class 12 which in turn means I'll have have to depend entirely on the sport for meeting my expenses.
I wanted to ask If there are opportunities in our country for a not so famous shooter(like narang or abhinav) to pursue his passion and earn a decent amount of money so as to smoothly look after himself.
I've started to sense uncertainity and worry for my career in my parents' mind.
Thanks.

For Advertising mail webmaster
sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Shooting for a living

Post by sam 47 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:45 am

I wanted to too, but due to the lack of knowledge about the income of shooters , I am now forced to go to college.
Is there any age limit for beginning shooting career?
And apart from air rifles, how does one go about making a career out of shooting rimfires and centerfires ?
What is the minimum level to obtain for income, like ranji trophy in cricket?
"Aim small, miss small."

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:35 am

Neglecting studies might not be the right call. You can pursue both. Its planning and discipline that is needed.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

milind
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by milind » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:10 pm

Career in professional shooting has lots of bottle neck. If you are expecting earning money being a shooter then its very very challanging and tough. We do not have allied companies in India to sponsor the shooter entirely. Becoming established shooter itself requires lots of time effort and money. However career as a coach or trainer can yield a good income provided you are associated a very established club or state association. Or you can start your own club by getting it affiliated with State rifle association and provide all sort of training regarding shooting sports, this ofcourse require lots of basic investment, time,effort and infrastructure. It also depend upon the place where you are from, you might need to shift to more potential city with more paying capacity.

BD has rightly said giving up edu cation is not a good idea. Persuing basic degree could be handy for getting absorbed in any govt. or private sector if you establish yourself by performing better at state or national level.

Lastly choice will be yours.

Love
Milind

satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by satyam » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:26 pm

Thank you guys.
I had heard that national shooters get a government job on basis of sports quota.Wanted some information regarding that.

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:35 pm

Its not easy at all. The opportunities open only after you reach national level, you get MQS, you can get your ammo and weapon. Thats when your serious training starts, then you have to finish in the top 12 to qualify for the selection trial for the team india.

Its only when you make it to level you get some support in respect to the equipment and training, before that its all on your own or if you get spotted by some as real natural talent and takes your under their shadows to help.

Once you hit renounced shot level, then you will get advantage in college admission for sure, job I am not sure of. What i know usually jobs and other perks come your way when you are international shooter and have got some medal or achievement. I know loads of national level shooters, who have run from post to post for assistance and support and they have got none.

I am sure their are other Sr shooters, who might be able to pitch in.

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:03 pm

I'm with sa_ali and milind on this one. You shouldn't be neglecting studies. You may make a second/side career out of shooting but your main career must remain intact. A life of a sportsman is not an easy one. Unlike many sports,in shooting a lot of monetary investment is required. A mainstream career will help you in doing that.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:42 pm

In India you cannot depend on shooting sports to earn you a livelihood! PERIOD

If anything you will be always spending money on your sport/ passion, so you need a lucrative career to be able to afford/ feed your hobby/ passion.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:26 pm

A decade or 2 ago, when I was still shooting in the Juniors :)

A very wise man told me, there is lot of "money" in shooting in India. The only problem is that the "shooters" need to put in that money :)

Heed the good advise, dont neglect your studies.
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by satyam » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:59 pm

Wow!!Thanks for so much advice.
If I am serious about the sport and am putting in 6 hours for practice then it would imply I am neglecting my studies.
So how do i maintain equanimity between studies and shooting in such a scenario?
Maybe I am new and have not faced those harsh truths that is why I am so much enthusiastic but to be true I want to represent my country in the sport.

χάος
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by χάος » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:35 am

Hi Satyam,

I agree with everyone who has commented here. They are not here to discourage you, rather with so many replies I'm confident that everyone wants to share their knowledge and experience with you so that you don't take any wrong decision now that you'll regret later.

Shooting as a career depends majorly on where you belongs to; means geographically and socially. Geographically, because it determines whether you will able to access decent shooting range(s), quality coaching, quality ammunition, quality equipment (weapon), and socially, because shooting is a costly sport, you'll need uninterrupted supply of money for Ammo, coaching, fine equipment, connections (for sponsorship) and likewise; though this is still debatable, so I won't get into the details and give you two fair options to get started with.
I am suggesting these options because 1) you can do it anywhere, 2) it is fairly cheap, 3) recurring cost is low, 4) training is available in almost all tier two cities, and, 5) it won't hurt in trials and errors. These options are air pistol and air rifle discipline.

The path will go thru State Championships, Pre-nationals and then Nationals. To qualify for Pre-nationals, you'll need more than 85% scores in the State Championships, and to be eligible for Nationals you'll need more than 90% score. Once you qualify in Nationals (90-92% score), you will achieve 'Renowned Shot' status, but this is just starting, almost all good shooters scores above this threshold. This 'Renowned Shot' status will help you in firearm categories but not here because here you can import the gun and ammunition even before you starts actual shooting. However, I strongly recommend that first you seriously try both these disciplines so that you can finally choose which path to take.

To become a shooter in the Indian Shooting Team or National Squad, you'll have to shoot consistently above 98% (Rules says 95%+ but 98%+ is pretty much the standards), and then, maybe then, with all the coachings, hard work, and luck if you'll be able to shoot medals in the Nationals then you'll think of your future in shootings.

But this will not end at this level; it actually starts from here. You can pretty much get a job from here and/or will be able to secure a sponsor but (BUT), from here the reality kicks in. To land a job or to ensure sponsorship you'll need good connections, the state you'll represent plays a key role in this. Nothing is assured here, except, you'll get an infinite supply of ammunition and coaching and some discounted travel vouchers.

Actual benefits will start when you start to shoot in International competitions being a part of the Indian Shooting Team. Once you start bagging International medals, then you will get great offers for Jobs and sponsorships.

Hence: YOU CANNOT DEPEND ON SHOOTING SPORT UNTIL YOU REACH THIS POSITION, at least qualify to secure a place in the Indian Shooting Team, and to be able to reach here, you'll need a constant supply of money, any anyway, it is strongly recommended that you do not leave studies at all, also because, if you leave studies before reaching this level then, when you will be able to secure a job only up to the level of your qualification at that time.

There are always exceptions, and I am sure there will be some examples that may challenge the facts given above, but remember, those are just handful examples, and if you go by numbers you'll realise that's not even 1% of the strata.

Hope you'll take a well-informed decision on this and not jeopardise your future.

Wishing you all the best for your future!

Adios'

VKS

Guns don't kill people - POLICIES DO

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:47 am

You'll start to figure it out yourself when you get to the situation. Please don't make decisions based on your assumptions of a probable future. You'll only ruin the 'present' that way. Focus on your present. Practice on your form. Take your shooting as a 'hobby'. For example if your final exams are tomorrow and you have a state championship the same day, definitely attend the exams. Take inspiration from Abhinav Bindra. He has a BBA and still considers himself as a hobby shooter. I dont find any reason why shouldn't you too. You can read his autobiography to know more about the life of India's finest rifle shooter.

ganeshn
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ganeshn » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:52 am

firstly there is nothing like a ideal job or a career in real life please do not be closed minded or resort to rash decision lest you may have to repent decades later, relatively cracking any dam exams is a lot easier than cracking the 98 percentile in shooting.Abhinav Bindra had a good financial background for him to get to international level and not worry of cash flow.Success will depend on N-number of factors a lot of them beyond your control so weigh in all factors, how badly you want and how much pain you are ready to take, generally nothing is free or fair.
A 21-year-old national-level Gujarati shooter has been forced to sell noodles on a roadside cart.

satyam
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by satyam » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:20 pm

vishalksinghVY wrote: To become a shooter in the Indian Shooting Team or National Squad, you'll have to shoot consistently above 98% (Rules says 95%+ but 98%+ is pretty much the standards), and then, maybe then, with all the coachings, hard work, and luck if you'll be able to shoot medals in the Nationals then you'll think of your future in shootings.
Adios'

[/b]
Sir, could you please explain the meaning of 98% or 92%.
I am new to the field so i don't know technical terminology.

Added in 4 minutes 1 second:
Thank you everyone for a great deal of reasonable and practical advice.
If I pursue B.Sc. in chemistry from a good institution in delhi and join an academy there will that be a good choice?

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:45 am

98% of a maximum possible score of 600 for example is 588.