Tommy side lever AR with breech loading mechanism

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Tommy side lever AR with breech loading mechanism

Post by vsraja » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:54 am

If there is no bear trap, I would have no fingers in my hand to load a pellet.That much time the autofire happened. I tried so many options to correct the problem but I can't succeed.Also the manufacturer is reluctant to resolve the issue, as their job of selling their product is over. So I decided to not do this type of experiment of buying an unreviewed product in future.
With regards,
vsraja

For Advertising mail webmaster
sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:21 am

vsraja wrote:If there is no bear trap, I would have no fingers in my hand to load a pellet.That much time the autofire happened. I tried so many options to correct the problem but I can't succeed.Also the manufacturer is reluctant to resolve the issue, as their job of selling their product is over. So I decided to not do this type of experiment of buying an unreviewed product in future.
vsraja, a gun that auto fires will continue to do so , it is a fault in engineering and design. I have had the gd 600, for 3 years now, I have spend Rs 6k on repairs of a 4.8k gun, and repaired couple of times free by retailer. After learning to disassemble springers, I have changed , piston, trigger spring, mainspring, entire trigger kit, now the entire guns internals are new, and guess what, it still auto fires suddenly in the midst of shooting session.The only fruitful purpose this gun served me is that it taught me to disassemble springers. I have retired the gun.
I am glad to hear that you are uninjured, I had nearly lost my left hand index finger due to auto firing of the gd-600.
"Aim small, miss small."

ganeshn
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ganeshn » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:23 am

vsraja wrote:A request to the members was dont buy this rifle. This rifle gave me lots of trouble.One of the serious problem was ''autofire''. After inspecting the piston rod i came to know that it was made of mild steel. I never seen a piston rod made of mild steel.Because of that, it was scratched each time by the trigger when it was cocked and fired.I also got(purchased) a replacement piston from tommy.but the problem was not resolved. I am wondering how talented the manufacturer is.Its up to you if you still needs to buy it.But i wont recommend the product from this manufacturer.

Sorry for the late reply, i needed this time to confirm that this product was not worth for the money paid.
glad to know that you and people around you are safe, better to stick with break barrels and products from organized sector.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:38 pm

What is this anti bear trap mechanism ?
Any foto to explain this ?

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:11 pm

Basu wrote:What is this anti bear trap mechanism ?
Any foto to explain this ?

Basu
Basuda, the anti bear trap mechanism is a mechanism that prevents the firing of the gun when the sliding breech is open and the side or under lever is in cocked position.
This prevents the damage to ones fingers when one inserts his finger inside the breech to load a pellet. It is just an additional safety measure, especially for guns like the tommy which autofires .
"Aim small, miss small."

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:16 pm

I have attached the drawing which explains bear trap in tommy.The small lever will automatically enter the receiver and engages when the rifle is cocked.The lever stays outside the receiver because of the compression chamber. When the compression chamber moves backward while cocking,the lever engages at the front of the compression chamber and will stop the compression chamber moving forward if any accidental release is caused while loading a pellet.After loading the pellet, a button under the stock is to be pressed to release the trap and close the compression chamber.Always there is a chance of failure of this safety mechanism also.So regularly have to check that trap mechanism and its spring tension to ensure the proper engagement each time without failure,which cost your finger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
With regards,
vsraja

estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by estousandy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:28 am

Thanks to vsraja, i managed to get hold of a sidelever couple of weeks ago from the same source. It's not a Tommy, coz i was advised not to get it by the dealer itself. He suggested a Daw's Luna at 2k extra but he never mentioned the auto fire issues, all he promised was a better finish & build with the luna. Now i know why he did so. Infact i got it in hand more than a week ago & now awaiting mod, so had no plans to post it here just yet. I haven't shot a lot through it yet but i recommend this one. It's not the nicest finish, cocking is hard, trigger is hard enough but the note is a solid thwak with no felt vibrations. Guess that's fair enough for a stock local AR. Long term reliability/auto-fire vulnerability unknown at the moment but dealer claims luna is the solution to whatever issues tommy got. It'll be getting my standard lube scheme & sleeving whenever i open it up. And the cal is you know what.

The anti-beartrap in this one is a similar design as shown above. I made it a habit to check its engagement in the breach on each cocking. It's like a wedge so it's not easy to fail but it's a scary thing if it does while a finger is in there. All things said, a good sidelever is always worth having.
IMG_20161223_092845100.jpg
IMG_20161223_092922613.jpg
IMG_20161223_092945485.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by estousandy on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
with guns we are citizens, without we are subjects

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:50 am

It is nice to know about your new air rifle.Always have an eye on bear trap, I noticed failure of that one time in tommy.After that I increased the spring tension and replaced that.It uses a 26mm leather washer, hence there is less chance to replace it with synthetic one. I attached scope mount with araldite, it can hold because of less recoil.It is a simple and best design of air rifle which can be easily serviced.If it was more hard to cock,try removing some spring coils.If it was factory new, then you should open it to lube thoroughly inside.Surprisingly it needs very less preload compared to break barrels.I had only 30 coils in my AR with less than one inch preload.
With regards,
vsraja

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:10 am

Thanks vraja.....I stand educated.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:27 am

Welcome Basu ji
With regards,
vsraja

Rudransh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Rudransh » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:56 am

Ohho I was about to buy Tommy thanks for saving me time and money.

Regard
Veerbhadra

Irfan ghayas
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Irfan ghayas » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:20 pm

Please tell the price as well

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:03 am

Irfan ghayas, as i said in my earlier post it is not a good gun.It cost me 5k,but not worth the time or money in'wa'sted .You have to wait for other good manufacturers to come up with this model.I don't like anybody affected like me.
With regards,
vsraja

Gunner_dh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Gunner_dh » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi vsraja,

Presently Tommy has stopped production of sidelever's. Any ideas if any other manufacturer has come up with sidelever.

Regards
dh

Sent from my Micromax Q415 using Tapatalk

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:20 pm

Gunner_dh wrote:Hi vsraja,

Presently Tommy has stopped production of sidelever's. Any ideas if any other manufacturer has come up with sidelever.

Regards
dh

Sent from my Micromax Q415 using Tapatalk
Better keep off Indian side levers, or every time you load, kiss your fingers bye bye for it may be the last they are part of you.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.