Home Range Set Up

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Home Range Set Up

Post by SMJ » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:30 pm

Sam47- fanstatic advise for focused shooting, thanks so much!! Pls don't call me sir yaar, I'm just a regular, ordinary chap. Your advise and tips are so brilliant mate, I think should be addressing you as sir[emoji5]

Sent from my SM-A500G using Tapatalk

For Advertising mail webmaster
Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:20 pm

SMJ ,
How many and which ARs you have :mrgreen: ?

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

asifrazak911
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by asifrazak911 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:53 am

Hi,
This is my backstop. An old carton in which the TV came in. Inside, I have two layers of wood of 1cm thickness each, followed by a layer of 1 inch thick marble which was scavenged when the flooring at home was changed. In front, to place cans and old Table tennis balls, i have placed a Thermocole piece I got with the TV case. This is set up at a big hallway at home. Has space to shoot from 10m and 20m distances.
I'm shooting a Precihole NX100 Polaris 0.177 with Master Shot flat head pellets, and an SDB 65 with Diana flat head pellets. Both stop at the first layer of wood for now. So I do expect the backstop to be sufficient for a long long time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:03 am

Do i dare share this :mrgreen:

well here goes...some tips offered by you fine lot have certainly helped - thank you gentlemen

Guns - SX 100 and NX 100
Pellets - G smith High impact

The wide shots are before i remembered some advice given by AGN which definitely helped. Is this any improvement - critics comments and laughter all welcome :lol:

for some reason the view on the computer is at the wrong angle, the correct view being a right rotate. On tapatalk (phone) it is showing the correct view :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:55 pm

Dear SMJ,
Your shot on the small target at the corner worth praising. You missed the centre by only 1-2 mm, I suppose. :cheers:
Rest are much improved than earlier one :mrgreen:

Basu

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:43 pm

Respected SMJ, what a marked improvement from the first target.!! (y) the target of most plinkers like us shooting offhand look like this , with probably 5-6 shots through the bull. :lol:
Sight adjustment, practice, a proper stance and hold with which you are most comfortable and maybe change of pellets and in no time you will blow out the center of the target paper with probably one or two probable fliers. :D
"Aim small, miss small."

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:59 am

Dear Basu and Sam47,
Thanks very much guys :) will keep at it and hope to hit the bulls eye consistently soon.
Its a bit sad that the range will be restricted to 25 feet at most :roll:

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:25 pm

Shot today with Precihole and IHP pistol. Totally different discipline to Air Rifles of course. Will share pictures of shot groupings after more practice :lol: Have a good evening gents (y)

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:38 pm

Hello gentlemen, I have a query and hoping someone can help me with it. When I shoot my AR's at my home range set up, there is never a ricochet. However, I find there is an occasional ricochet when I shoot the AP which I find very curious. Any particular reason why this may happen? I shoot my AR's and AP at the same target size and from the same distance, around 25 feet.

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:54 pm

I have a very similar experience shooting with my low powered air rifle, which generates 2.5 fpe at muzzle, when shooting at hard surfaces such as plywood and metal backstops. Upon examining the backstop and pellets my conclusion is that higher velocity pellets penetrate and get buried completely in wood, while get flattened or fragmented in metal, and thus lose their energy this way.But I find the pellets with low energy neither penetrate or fragment, and they just deform a little, and most of their reaction energy is transferred back on them as kinetic energy, resulting in ricochet with velocity almost similar to initial impact velocity and therefore they travel a longer distance. I read somewhere .22 LR ricochets more than centerfire rifles, probably this is the reason.
Just my thoughts on the very interesting question you asked which has equally intrigued me in the past when I used to shoot indoors.
"Aim small, miss small."

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:44 am

But I find the pellets with low energy neither penetrate or fragment, and they just deform a little,
I have noticed this too.
Thanks for the reply Sam, your explanation certainly seems logical (y)

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:05 am

Results from this mornings shooting.

Rifles NX and SX 100 - (20 shots each rifle) - G Smith high impact pointed pellets
Rifles SDB (15 shots) and IHP (5 shots)- Marshall shot pointed pellets
Precihole Pistol - Diablo Flat head pellets (13 shots) and G Smith high impact pointed pellets (7 shots)
IHP pistol - 20 shots- magnum pointed pellets.
Shooting results - NX100 and SX100 Pic 1.jpg
Shooting results - NX100 and SX100 Pic 2.jpg
Shooting results - Precihole Pistol.jpg
Shooting results- Precihole Pistol Pic 2.jpg
Shooting results - SDB rifle (top right hand corner).jpg
Shooting results - IHP rifle (right hand corner of the target (black) area.jpg
I do not know why the pictures do not get attached as they are :? - the correct view is 90 degree turn clockwise on a comp.

Pistol shooting is way off, not t0o great with Rifle either but improving I suppose [emoji38]

The key point - Precihole Rifles are bang on target and group way better than either the SDB or IHP.
The Precihole pistol is also much more accurate than the IHP pistol.