Home Range Set Up

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Home Range Set Up

Post by SMJ » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:43 pm

Finally managed to create a small home range for myself! Happy I can now shoot when I want and not wait and hope for FT meets.
Shot 6 shots...could not manage more today. Distance is around 25 feet.
Rifles - Precihole (NX 100 and SX 100 - 3 shots each)
Pellets - G Smith High Impact
Picture of the groupings from SX 100 attached. Also a picture of clubbed groupings with both rifles- pathetic shooting by me but was keen to share it as its my first at my 'home' range. Improved results will follow.
Any critiques or comments are most welcome although its obviously not much at all to go by.
Of course I shall shoot some more over the coming days with separate pictures of groupings from various rifles for some sound feedback.
Sorry for the poor quality of the pix and the shadow of my fingers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Home Range Set Up

Post by Basu » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:42 pm

Dear SMJ,
Did you shoot single handedly ? :mrgreen:

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:25 pm

Glad i could crack you up[emoji1] [emoji1] But I suppose in my defense I can only say I shot my AR'S for the 3rd time in 2 years... of course that will change now.
Thank you for your honest critique...apologies for sharing such a crappy err....'grouping'

Sent from my SM-A500G using Tapatalk

Trajeev
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Trajeev » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:16 pm

Can you post the pics of your Home Range set up to get a fair idea of what you are talking about ?

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:15 pm

I'm beginning to think that its now becoming a case of 'foot in the mouth' with this thread :roll: I guess I should have had a better choice of words other than home range!

Its simple, all I have is a thick wooden plank ( 7" x 4 ") covered with 3 layers of foam and some card board with the target card taped to it. This contraption is placed near the main front door (indoors obviously) whilst I shoot from the far end of the hall, about 25 feet away!

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:42 pm

SMJ sir, your setup is very good, but a suggestion if I
may_
Please place something bigger in case the pellet misses the wood altogether, a steel plate say. I know you will never miss the wood, but if you hit the door by chance , the pellet will dig in deep, ....and you will have to give a lot of explanations to family members. Don't ask how I know. When I get to my PC I will post pictures of my home range and precautions. In any case , put some metal behind the wood if you plan to shoot a lot. 10 pellets won't penetrate 4" nor will 1000 pellets, but day after day when the pellet starts to group , it will create a hole through the wood, and eventually exit right through. The metal plate will make a ding and let you know when that day arrives. I created a hole big enough to put my fist through in a 2 inch thick wooden plank in aprrox 6-7k shots. If you use g smiths assuming in .22, you can get along for a long time. If in .177 well , it will penetrated even deeper.
"Aim small, miss small."

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:12 pm

Thanks Sam47
I know you will never miss the wood,
with my shooting at the moment, who can tell [emoji38]
f you hit the door by chance , the pellet will dig in deep, ....and you will have to give a lot of explanations to family members. Don't ask how I know.
i know exactly how that feels chief; already been there an done it earlier [emoji38] [emoji38] Took me a while to convince them to let me use the plank which I finally did yesterday.
10 pellets won't penetrate 4" nor will 1000 pellets, but day after day when the pellet starts to group , it will create a hole through the wood, and eventually exit right through. The metal plate will make a ding and let you know when that day arrives
I do plan to shoot far more regularly and I guess you are right. What an excellent suggestion (y) (y) thanks a ton for that mate!!
When I get to my PC I will post pictures of my home range and precautions.
Looking forward to seeing your set up buddy!!

crkatta
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by crkatta » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi
After 2000 pellets shooting i clean and celebrate my precihole nx100 polaris without APERTURE SIGHT. My pellets are RWS GECO Diabolo - .177 Precice Match Pellets from RWS Germany. My 10 meter distance shooting result is in this photo.

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:40 am

SMJ wrote:I'm beginning to think that its now becoming a case of 'foot in the mouth' with this thread :roll: I guess I should have had a better choice of words other than home range!

Its simple, all I have is a thick wooden plank ( 7" x 4 ") covered with 3 layers of foam and some card board with the target card taped to it. This contraption is placed near the main front door (indoors obviously) whilst I shoot from the far end of the hall, about 25 feet away!
If I may make a few observations:
1. 25' is good approx for 33' or 10m. However the AR target will appear slightly bigger than at 10m, which is OK to start with. Keep that in mind even after you switch for AP target to AR.
2. Have a pellet trap if possible. Our friend Trajeev had a couple surplus sometime in recent past. Do check with him. If not, use a steel plate (2mm thickness OK for .177 lead pellets). Then have a cardboard behind your target - that will prevent the crushed pellets from flying out or ricochet.
3. Have a consistent hold at the same spot irrespective of shot placement - eventually they will converge.
4. Hope you have completed a basic course (excuse me if you had mentioned it in the past but age is catching up on me) in shooting. Seeing your interest in FT organised at Japaloupe, I guess you are in MMR or Pune areas ? There are a few clubs in MMR region that impart training.
5. Alternately try to dig up a thread started by gverma or get your hands on the book by TenX. It's worth buying.
6. Like you I prax in "home range" as I am inconsistent in prax, though I have life membership at SVS, Mumbai. Lucky to have a 35' corridor if one bedroom's door is kept open. I have nailed a 8" X 10" folding shelf on which I place my old pellet trap. When not in use the shelf stands down thus not rising more than 0.5" from the wall (thickness of the ply). Needed it thus as didn't want the kids to bang against it or its edges. Mumbai demands we compact our accessories as much as possible. ROTFL
6. Don't lose heart - prax more and it will come. Try seated and supported shooting also to steady your shooting. A few of us are hobbyist AR target shooters. Good of course, that you shoot paper targets. (y)

Should something like Japaloupe happen, will keep you in the loop. Good luck and happy and safe shooting. :cheers:

regs
A.

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:39 pm

SMJ wrote:Its simple, all I have is a thick wooden plank ( 7" x 4 ") covered with 3 layers of foam and some card board with the target card taped to it.
Having a "shooting spot " at home is a nice thing. Gives you the liberty to shoot when you want.
I used to use a book called Statistical Methods by S.P Gupta as a back stop. The older versions of the book (which are still available in old book marts) is the best. They are huge and replace the good old telephone directory. My pellets were deeply involved with statistics. ROTFL

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:46 pm

Running out of wood, I now use my 12th standard maths book, backed by a steel plate ( thali) to reduce noise and prevent ricochet. It gave me a lot of pain last year and now, ..revenge is mine. 8) :twisted: Using a metal pellet catcher (ready made ones)is risky at 8m because of ricochet.
"Aim small, miss small."

crkatta
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by crkatta » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:37 am

Hi
After 2000 pellets shooting i clean and celebrate my precihole nx100 polaris (without APERTURE SIGHT). My pellets are RWS GECO Diabolo - .177 Precice Match Pellets from RWS Germany. My 10 meter distance shooting result is in photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:47 pm

Hello AGN,

Firstly thank you so much for taking the time out for such a detailed post and your encouragement.
Have a pellet trap if possible. Our friend Trajeev had a couple surplus sometime in recent past. Do check with him. If not, use a steel plate (2mm thickness OK for .177 lead pellets). Then have a cardboard behind your target - that will prevent the crushed pellets from flying out or ricochet.
Thanks again for such good advice, its what Sam47 advised as well. Just to let you guys know, the wooden plank is around an inch thick. In front I have stuck 3 layers of foam. Over the foam, I put a 'folded' cardboard box which means 2 layers of cardboard. So its 2 layers of cardboard, 3 layers of foam and then plank. The pellets did go through all but did not do much damage to the wooden plank and fortunately there was no ricochet so I guess I got something right. But seeing as both Sam47 and you have also mentioned placing a steel plate and cardboard BEHIND the wood, I shall do so before the next time I shoot. Will also PM Trajeev hopefully he will have a pellet trap.
Hope you have completed a basic course (excuse me if you had mentioned it in the past but age is catching up on me) in shooting.
[/quote] I have completed my basic pistol (not rifle) course at the MRA of which I am an annual member. Although pistol is fun, I am more interested in the rifle but the investment is too high for accessories.

Seeing your interest in FT organised at Japaloupe, I guess you are in MMR or Pune areas ?
Yep, I reside in South Mumbai. An FT meet organized anywhere outdoors is great not necessarily Japaloupe
Mumbai demands we compact our accessories as much as possible.
Agreed :lol:
Don't lose heart - prax more and it will come. Try seated and supported shooting also to steady your shooting.
Thanks for the tips chief, much appreciated :)

Looking forward to an FT meet, Japaloupe or anywhere else (y) (y)
Last edited by SMJ on Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:30 am

Shot again yesterday and today, marked improvement; thanks for all the tips gentlemen. Strangely enough my SX is giving much better groupings than the NX at the moment :o The wobbly front sights on the NX may possibly be one reason ..
Pellets - G Smith High Impact pointed

Today's shooting was with SDB and IHP - better groupings with the SDB than IHP
Pellets - Mashshall Shot pointed
Have a good Sunday (y)

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:21 pm

SMJ sir, one thing I learnt is contrast is more important than target size. So if you are shooting at black target with black open sights then,
1) put a little white paint in the bulls eye if your ultimate goal is to shoot at objects like coins match sticks etc and using the target for zeroing the rifle, and then hit the white.
2) if your goal is to shoot extremely small groups, put white paint in the front sight, aim at the bull ,focus sharply on the front sight and never change aim point while shooting the group. Adjust the sights after finishing the group.
I hope this helps a little.
"Aim small, miss small."