Query about the kit for rifle shooting

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
WilliamTell
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Query about the kit for rifle shooting

Post by WilliamTell » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:45 am

Hello all; I have been practicing pistol and rifle shooting for the past three months, after having completed my 10-day basic course the rifle club had to offer. When the time came to decide my specialization, I selected the pistol (even though I was better with the rifle) ONLY because I absolutely hated the idea of donning the kit. Yesterday during a casual chat with the range manager, he mentioned that the kit is not 'absolutely compulsory', but it does provide stability.

Now, would someone please tell me whether or not the kit is compulsory (at all levels - right up to the Olympics, World Championships, etc.) (yes all the shooters there wear it, the ISSF have guidelines about the thickness & weight of it all, etc. etc., - just not sure about it being mandatory) or was the range manager speaking about the state levels?

Thank you in advance for your kind replies...

For Advertising mail webmaster
sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Query about the kit for rifle shooting

Post by sohampaul11 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:37 pm

Your position now is similar to mine quite a while back. I used to shoot better with a rifle. But initially I decided to go for pistol due to the ease of transport and lugging around. But rifle shooting got the hang of me since I had a much better stance holding a rifle than I had while holding a pistol. So, I went for rifle instead. I had to buy the kit as well because of the stability it provides to your body. I don't know but I was informed that rifle shooting jackets and trousers has been made compulsory from the Mavlankars onwards. Sometimes, there is a difference of around 50 points between you shooting with and without jacket/trouser. The basic kit consists of a stiff jacket usually made of leather/canvas and a trouser of the same material. A flat soled boot. The boot has an amount of gap in front of the toes so that you can wriggle your toes to relieve the numbness in your feet. Also the boot has velcro straps behind your heel to stabilise the ankle portion. A glove can be worn in either hands depending upon your preference. For a right handed shooter, A left hand glove will stabilise the wrist portion while a right hand glove will prevent slipping of the grip due to sweating. An eye blinder will help to keep both your eyes open and prevent eye strain. A visor helps to block light coming from above, thereby increasing the contrast that the eyes can detect. Shooting inners help in avoiding slippage and also absorbs sweat hence prevents sweat trickling down the skin. An offhand stand is used to rest the rifle in between shots and also holds pellets. Start woth the cheapest set because you wont be able to tell the difference between a better kit and a starter one. Eventually you will be able to understand the shortcomings and upgrade accordingly.

WilliamTell
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by WilliamTell » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:46 pm

Thank you - sohampaul11 for your quick and clear reply. I am not sure how to send you a message of thanks since I am new to this forum and am not permitted to send messages directly to individuals. But thanks all the same.

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:17 pm

Glad I could be of help. And best of luck for your future career in shooting.

Last bumped by WilliamTell on Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:17 pm.