Airguns for my grandpa

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Nick490
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Airguns for my grandpa

Post by Nick490 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:47 pm

Before starting my post, id like to Introduce myself.I’m a 16 yr old boy living in mumbai. I have had a great interest in weapons as well as the outdoors since I was a kid (although some might consider me one even now :) ). Unfortunately, my dad is a bit of a couch potato :? and so , it was my grandfather, who would accompany me. Around last year, he moved to his hometown back in konkan with my grandma where he now has a small farmhouse and plenty of hens :lol:
This year, he is turning 70 ( he is still fit as a horse though :wink: ) and so I wanted to gift him an air rifle for pest control ( crows around chicks is a bad combo) as well as for self defense(presence of a gun is a mighty deterrent 8) ) .After some research, I have narrowed down to three air rifles which are listed below. I would have preferred .22 cal rifles but they have been outlawed :( .So these are my choices for .177cal rifles with are around my budget ( 4000 INR. I know its pretty small but that’s all I could save :roll: )

UTA Model 35 (0.177) : http://www.kovibazaar.com/airguns/calib ... el-35-0177

SDB Model 23 (0.177Cal/4.5mm) : http://www.kovibazaar.com/airguns/calib ... -model-23- 0177cal45mm

SDB Model 25
: http://www.kovibazaar.com/airguns/calib ... re-shooter

I would your opinion on these guns as well as other suggestions. Also, I was wondering if Kovibaazar ships to mumbai.
Thanks for reading.

For Advertising mail webmaster
nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Airguns for my grandpa

Post by nitroex700 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:58 pm

Nick490 wrote:Before starting my post, id like to Introduce myself.I’m a 16 yr old boy living in mumbai. I have had a great interest in weapons as well as the outdoors since I was a kid (although some might consider me one even now :) ). Unfortunately, my dad is a bit of a couch potato :? and so , it was my grandfather, who would accompany me. Around last year, he moved to his hometown back in konkan with my grandma where he now has a small farmhouse and plenty of hens :lol:
This year, he is turning 70 ( he is still fit as a horse though :wink: ) and so I wanted to gift him an air rifle for pest control ( crows around chicks is a bad combo) as well as for self defense(presence of a gun is a mighty deterrent 8) ) .After some research, I have narrowed down to three air rifles which are listed below. I would have preferred .22 cal rifles but they have been outlawed :( .So these are my choices for .177cal rifles with are around my budget ( 4000 INR. I know its pretty small but that’s all I could save :roll: )

SDB Model 23 (0.177Cal/4.5mm) : http://www.kovibazaar.com/airguns/calib ... -model-23- 0177cal45mm

SDB Model 25

I would your opinion on these guns as well as other suggestions. Also, I was wondering if Kovibaazar ships to mumbai.
Thanks for reading.
You can buy SDB guns directly from manufacturer, will cost less than half! Even their latest gun Artemis costs about 6000₹ at manufacturer AFAIK. Apache should cost you about 5000₹ but its slightly heavier. Go for a light gun if short range plinking is the objective. Else try a more powerful one.

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:48 pm

In line with the manufacturers you have chosen, go for the SDB Artemis. I heard it's lighter, accurate, packs a punch and easier to cock (can be used by grandpa for many years to come).

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

Nick490
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Nick490 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:46 am

Big Daddy wrote:In line with the manufacturers you have chosen, go for the SDB Artemis. I heard it's lighter, accurate, packs a punch and easier to cock (can be used by grandpa for many years to come).

BD
I was unable to find any official site for contact number for SBD. Should I call of my local gun store and check the availability of these rifles?

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:54 am

Recently there was a discussion on the same. I guess their official chanel is great eastern firearm company. Check this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24614&p=243767#p243767

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

abhijittadpatri
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by abhijittadpatri » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:00 pm

Hi Nick,

The contact details that BD was referring to are below;

Sanjith - Great Eastern Firearm Co.
Ph#9831189107

He is a nice guy and will also share the photos via email if you need them.

Thank you,
Abhijit

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:48 am

I would at least suggest not to go for SDB 23/25.
You and your grandpa will surely relish SDB Sport.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

lifewater
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by lifewater » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:34 pm

nitroex700 wrote:
Nick490 wrote:Before starting my post, id like to Introduce myself.I’m a 16 yr old boy living in mumbai. I have had a great interest in weapons as well as the outdoors since I was a kid (although some might consider me one even now :) ). Unfortunately, my dad is a bit of a couch potato :? and so , it was my grandfather, who would accompany me. Around last year, he moved to his hometown back in konkan with my grandma where he now has a small farmhouse and plenty of hens :lol:

SDB Model 25

Thanks for reading.
You can buy SDB guns directly from manufacturer, will cost less than half! Even their latest gun Artemis costs about 6000₹ at manufacturer AFAIK. Apache should cost you about 5000₹ but its slightly heavier. Go for a light gun if short range plinking is the objective. Else try a more powerful one.
Hi I beg to defer regarding the purchase of SDB guns directly from the manufacturer. I did speak to the owner and he point blank to sell it to me directly. Directed me to AAnish Armoury at Chennai for purchase.

Regards,

Lifewater

vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:23 pm

abhijittadpatri wrote:Hi Nick,

The contact details that BD was referring to are below;

Sanjith - Great Eastern Firearm Co.
Ph#9831189107

He is a nice guy and will also share the photos via email if you need them.

Thank you,
Abhijit
+1, Anyone wants an SDB, you can contact Sanjith. I got my artemis from him only

G.P.Swamy
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by G.P.Swamy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:12 pm

Hi vidya007, what s the price of Artemis from sanjith for your version

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:11 am

Dear Swamy,

why do not you visit local Gun Shop ?

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

G.P.Swamy
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by G.P.Swamy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Basu ji... No shops in my place...

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:38 pm

G P Swamy, cost of Artemis is 9k including taxes from Sanjit, including taxes. Shipping will cost another 1.5-2 k
Nick, SDB model 23\25 are not powerful enough for hunting, let alone crows. If you and your grandfather never fired adult air rifles before , follow Basuda's advice and get a SDB sport. The shot cycle is smoother and provides enough accuracy and power. If you are already familiar with recoil and springer shooting techniques, by all means get the more powerful Artemis. It can take crows out to 50+ yards, & I took one out yesterday. Don't decide based on power only, you will be surprised at the killing ability of a well placed shot from even a medium powered springer. Artemis is highly hold sensitive and requires great dedication and concentration to shoot accurately
Finally don't buy those cheap bargain guns under 5k from uta or isw. :deadhorse: Not only are they hopelessly inaccurate, they break down too often and will cause you great misery as your hard saved cash will be wasted. Save more & buy a decent product, or request your dad to help with the budget. :mrgreen:
"Aim small, miss small."

G.P.Swamy
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by G.P.Swamy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:15 pm

Thanks for your info Sam 47... By the way it's not my grand father sam it's nick490's.

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:54 am

sam 47 wrote:G P Swamy, cost of Artemis is 9k including taxes from Sanjit, including taxes. Shipping will cost another 1.5-2 k
Nick, SDB model 23\25 are.....
"Aim small, miss small."