Canon LG65 Help

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
lifewater
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Canon LG65 Help

Post by lifewater » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:23 am

sam 47 wrote:[quote="lifewater" and "BASU" seal for the breech (Remember the gas pipe modification)...

ROTFL I will have to give the "BASU seal" a try!!
As the gun is shooting well, I think the problem lies in the barrel or breech seal. If you clean the barrel and make some modifications to the breech seal,I think you will have a winner. You may have to change the breech seal to leather or you can get a synthetic one that fits it well , like the SDB seal. From what I have heard, the accuracy of the canon is legendary. Best of luck with your problem,, I hope BD and Basuda will solve your problem in no time.[/quote]

Thanks for your kind words. I too am suspecting the breech seal... The barrel has been cleaned though..

For Advertising mail webmaster
Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:32 am

Big Daddy has always been very generous and he is lucky to have nice machinists with him.
Cannon 65 is known for its deadly accuracy , not for power.
An experienced shooter will fix the issue immediately.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

lifewater
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by lifewater » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:34 am

Basu wrote:Big Daddy has always been very generous and he is lucky to have nice machinists with him.
Cannon 65 is known for its deadly accuracy , not for power.
An experienced shooter will fix the issue immediately.

Basu

Yes Basu da, that's why I am so pissed off with the inaccuracy..

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:57 pm

Lifewater,
it's been long. Glad you liked the piston.
Canon is very accurate. Must be something minor.
Apart from the seal change, make sure the you try with several pellet brands to find the best match.
How is the twang (the vibe you can feel / hear) caused between the spring and piston?
You might need to thoroughly clean the barrel with spirit.
Keep us updated.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

lifewater
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by lifewater » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:37 am

Big Daddy wrote:Lifewater,
it's been long. Glad you liked the piston.
Canon is very accurate. Must be something minor.
Apart from the seal change, make sure the you try with several pellet brands to find the best match.
How is the twang (the vibe you can feel / hear) caused between the spring and piston?
You might need to thoroughly clean the barrel with spirit.
Keep us updated.

BD
Jai Sir, I hope the issue would be something minor. Sir, the piston id TOP CLASS !! no doubts about it. There is a little "Twang" but maybe it is common. I am more used to the PRECIOLE Gas Pistons so maybe I am feeling it. Sir, I will clean the barrel once again and try different pellets and will keep you all updated.

Take Care,

Lifewater

lifewater
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by lifewater » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Just an update, I have replaced the "juggar" breech seal with a leather one and now the gun shoots like a dream, at least to the distance of 15mts where the groups are about 1.5"... using local UTA make pellets. But the power is woefully low. I dont have a chrono, but have tested shooting through old magazines, it cant even pass through a INDIA TODAY magazine at 10 mts.

Piston, synthetic piston seal and breech seal are all brand new only thing old is the gun and the spring...

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:19 pm

lifewater wrote:Just an update, I have replaced the "juggar" breech seal with a leather one and now the gun shoots like a dream, at least to the distance of 15mts where the groups are about 1.5"... using local UTA make pellets. But the power is woefully low. I dont have a chrono, but have tested shooting through old magazines, it cant even pass through a INDIA TODAY magazine at 10 mts.

Piston, synthetic piston seal and breech seal are all brand new only thing old is the gun and the spring...
As mentioned by Basuda, canon is known for astonishing accuracy and not power. How many pages thick is the India Today magazine? To check power, you can get the chrono-connect mobile lite app, its a handy tool. Change the pellets if you want and keep practicing, your groups will shrink further.
While changing spring, always keep in mind that you will have to reduce the pre-load in these direct sear locking type guns. Otherwise, the gun will break the mainspring if it is a highly tempered mainspring like the Cherokee, or a soft main spring will bend and slacken. The best way is first put in the piston, then put in the spring. Mark out the excess mainspring coming out of the spring tube, and with a metal cutter cut out the excess coils. Even then, you will have a 2-21\2 inch pre-load as you install the trigger assembly. You may also cut away additional one or two coils. It will reduce the speed meagrely, 20-30 fps max, but will prolong the life of the spring, ease the cocking effort, and reward you with a gentle shot cycle.
"Aim small, miss small."

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:31 pm

sam 47 wrote:The best way is first put in the piston, then put in the spring. Mark out the excess mainspring coming out of the spring tube, and with a metal cutter cut out the excess coils. Even then, you will have a 2-21\2 inch pre-load as you install the trigger assembly. You may also cut away additional one or two coils. It will reduce the speed meagrely, 20-30 fps max, but will prolong the life of the spring, ease the cocking effort, and reward you with a gentle shot cycle.
Perfecto! :agree:

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:58 pm

Thanks BD. :D
"Aim small, miss small."

lifewater
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by lifewater » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:28 pm

sam 47 wrote:
lifewater wrote:Just an update, I have replaced the "juggar" breech seal with a leather one and now the gun shoots like a dream, at least to the distance of 15mts where the groups are about 1.5"... using local UTA make pellets. But the power is woefully low. I dont have a chrono, but have tested shooting through old magazines, it cant even pass through a INDIA TODAY magazine at 10 mts.

As mentioned by Basuda, canon is known for astonishing accuracy and not power. How many pages thick is the India Today magazine? To check power, you can get the chrono-connect mobile lite app, its a handy tool. Change the pellets if you want and keep practicing, your groups will shrink further.
While changing spring, always keep in mind that you will have to reduce the pre-load in these direct sear locking type guns. Otherwise, the gun will break the mainspring if it is a highly tempered mainspring like the Cherokee, or a soft main spring will bend and slacken. The best way is first put in the piston, then put in the spring. Mark out the excess mainspring coming out of the spring tube, and with a metal cutter cut out the excess coils. Even then, you will have a 2-21\2 inch pre-load as you install the trigger assembly. You may also cut away additional one or two coils. It will reduce the speed meagrely, 20-30 fps max, but will prolong the life of the spring, ease the cocking effort, and reward you with a gentle shot cycle.
Thank you Sam Sir. I spoke to BigDaddy Sir yesterday and he kas very kindly advised me the same... to replace the mainspring. I am thinking od ordering one from Kovibazzar. I would be grateful to receive advices from the esteemed forum members on what spring to use GSmith / Cherokee / SDB and Preciole springs are available at Kovibazzar.. any other shop or and other model of spring ... advices regarding which would be welcome.

P.S. I am limited to online shops only as the place where I stay, there are no Brick and Mortar gunshops.

Regards,

Lifewater

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:54 am

I think I will advise against Cherokee, it is highly tempered steel wire, therefore very prone to breaking, if you don't adjust the preload properly. It does produce more power, but makes the gun vibrate violently. I have one installed in my Artemis. This spring had served for a period of 3000 shots in my gd-600, and while putting it in my artemis, I cut away 6 coils before installing it . Even then it took my gun 200 shots to get settled with this spring.
I think you will be better off with a Gsmith spring. The kovibazaar website carries all the measurements given accurately, just take the measurements of your piston inner diameter and order the one that would fit well.
"Aim small, miss small."

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:46 am

If I ever hated any spring , that is Cherokee 35 , yet i tolerated their 27.
First , it transports accuracy every where except centre.
Second , it rattles the gun so hard that all nuts and bolts will get loose frequently.
Third , it may increase piston bounce thus less energy.
Fourth , it breaks easily due to excessive hardness.
Cannon settles well at 8 to 8.5 fpe energy.
This energy can be delivered by any medium spring.
I was told that even G-smith rattles the gun too.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

lifewater
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by lifewater » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:53 am

Thank You very much Sirs for you kind advice. After hearing your advises, I am inclined towards SDB spring. One more very Important and urgent question Sirs, Should I continue with the Synthetic piston seal or use the original Leather seal ?? I am getting confused because the Kovibazaar guy suggested against using Synthetic seal. Though I got the synthetic seal from him, he was all along advising me to use the leather seal. Some people are also advising against using synthetic seals in old Kolkata made guns..

Please advice,

Thanks again,

Lifewater

sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sam 47 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:14 am

Basu wrote:If I ever hated any spring , that is Cherokee 35 , yet i tolerated their 27.
Second , it rattles the gun so hard that all nuts and bolts will get loose frequently.

Basu
:agree: Nowhere to object except that my Artemis is performing with decent combination of power and accuracy, but its a exception I believe.
lifewater wrote:Thank You very much Sirs for you kind advice. After hearing your advises, I am inclined towards SDB spring. One more very Important and urgent question Sirs, Should I continue with the Synthetic piston seal or use the original Leather seal ?? I am getting confused because the Kovibazaar guy suggested against using Synthetic seal. Though I got the synthetic seal from him, he was all along advising me to use the leather seal. Some people are also advising against using synthetic seals in old Kolkata made guns..

Please advice,

Thanks again,

Lifewater
Lifewater, synthetic seals were a very important step in the evolution of airguns. It gives very nice shot to shot consistentency and therefore accuracy and seals the chamber better and are very much self lubricating. They also increase the stroke length. IMHO opinion synthetic seals are always better ,
will wait and see what BD and Basuda has to say on the subject. I think BD will advise a Diana piston seal which kovibazaar lists at Rs899/-. :)
"Aim small, miss small."

lifewater
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by lifewater » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:42 am

sam 47 wrote:
Basu wrote:If I ever hated any spring , that is Cherokee 35 , yet i tolerated their 27.

Basu
:agree: Nowhere to object except that my Artemis is performing with decent combination of power and accuracy, but its a exception I believe.
lifewater wrote:Thank You very much Sirs for you kind advice. After hearing your advises, I am inclined towards SDB spring. One more very Important and urgent question Sirs, Should I continue with the Synthetic piston seal or use the original Leather seal ?? I am getting confused because the Kovibazaar guy suggested against using Synthetic seal. Though I got the synthetic seal from him, he was all along advising me to use the leather seal. Some people are also advising against using synthetic seals in old Kolkata made guns..

Please advice,

Thanks again,

Lifewater
Lifewater, synthetic seals were a very important step in the evolution of airguns. It gives very nice shot to shot consistentency and therefore accuracy and seals the chamber better and are very much self lubricating. They also increase the stroke length. IMHO opinion synthetic seals are always better ,
will wait and see what BD and Basuda has to say on the subject. I think BD will advise a Diana piston seal which kovibazaar lists at Rs899/-. :)
Thank You Sam Sir, you are bang on regarding the diana piston seal.