Looking to buy a new 0.177 Air rifle

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Ray
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Looking to buy a new 0.177 Air rifle

Post by Ray » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:15 pm

This might seem a little out of topic, but looking for a good starting air rifle for 11 year old who is showing interest in shooting. Have decided to enroll her in the closest shooting club, but would be grateful if someone can provide some pointers.
Was thinking that the NX100 Club edition might be a good choice, but suggestions are welcome.

For Advertising mail webmaster
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:38 am

NX100 Club is good, but you will probably have to cock it for her. I still have to cock my NX100 for my son, who's 12. It's not the strength which is lacking, but the overall body size to apply that strength scientifically!

Getting ONE kid started in shooting is, IMHO, worth the effort!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:00 pm

still waiting for my Artemis 0.177 air gun.

In the mean time, going over internet for scopes...

I read in amazon that artemis has 12mm scope groove. What does 12 mm mean? Is it 11 mm dovetail groove?

Source:

Does artemis have a scope groove. If yes, what kind it is?

Will this work on the artemis's scope groove? - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gamo-3- ... .57.zUjE99

gaurav31dec
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by gaurav31dec » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:59 pm

vidhya007 wrote:Placed the order, transferred the amount. Sanjit from Great Eastern Firearm Co stated that he will ship it tomorrow...Now the waiting starts....Will post pictures once I get the gun...

Any other suggestions for pellets apart from the ones that i have mentioned above...
Please share the contact from where you ordered Artemis .177. I would like to order one. Hope they deliver to Gurgaon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

broadway
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by broadway » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:48 am

vidhya007 wrote:I read in amazon that artemis has 12mm scope groove. What does 12 mm mean? Is it 11 mm dovetail groove?
12mm probably refers to the scope mount base rail. The rail varies in sizes(9mm to 11mm) depending on human cut error. The scope "slides" in these rails. Some indian rifles come with a fibre rail. This means the mount slides between the fibre and the chamber tube so as you tighten the screw, the mounts teeth will be digging into the tube which is bad.

Hence, I placed an order for this steel rail. It's a DIY project so holes will need to be drilled matching those on the compression chamber. I think your sdb has its welded on permanently.

aliexpress.com/item/Steel-11mm-Round-Bottom-Dovetail-Rail-Base-Airgun-Rifle-Laser-Sight-Scope-Accessories-Base-for-Outdoor/32679394495.html

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:39 pm

broadway wrote:
vidhya007 wrote:I read in amazon that artemis has 12mm scope groove. What does 12 mm mean? Is it 11 mm dovetail groove?
12mm probably refers to the scope mount base rail. The rail varies in sizes(9mm to 11mm) depending on human cut error. The scope "slides" in these rails. Some indian rifles come with a fibre rail. This means the mount slides between the fibre and the chamber tube so as you tighten the screw, the mounts teeth will be digging into the tube which is bad.

Hence, I placed an order for this steel rail. It's a DIY project so holes will need to be drilled matching those on the compression chamber. I think your sdb has its welded on permanently.

aliexpress.com/item/Steel-11mm-Round-Bottom-Dovetail-Rail-Base-Airgun-Rifle-Laser-Sight-Scope-Accessories-Base-for-Outdoor/32679394495.html

Are there similar DIY 20mm Picatinny available as well? Am sure there will be many of us willing to go through the pain to replace their dovetails with Picatinnys.

broadway
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by broadway » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:48 pm

You can

1) hack this adapter > remove those four screws and weld that piece permanently instead(note, aluminum) > start file-ing the bottom to match your tube(labourous job) > drill holes from top > spray paint it matt black
aliexpress.com/item/D2006-B-Dovetail-Weaver-Picatinny-Rail-Adapter-11mm-to-20mm-21mm-Tactical-Scope-Extend-Mount/32448179311.html

or

2) Get this DIY 11mm dovetail as I did

and use the above picatinny adapter over it - will save you the cost of labour

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:19 pm

i fixed it on my AK agni with araldite. It holds perfectly

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/11mm-Ta ... f300ef264a
With regards,
vsraja

vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:48 am

Thanks for all the replies.:-).. I tried to look at a youtube video by "Veer Sing" (I guesss) at HD where he shows the gun barrel. From the video, I think that I saw Artemis comes with dovetail groove...Somewhere I read that dovetail grooves range from 10mm to 14 mm....So scopes come with adjustable mounts which can fit in to these...
I already placed order. Hope it will be delivered within a month...

@gaurav31dec, I placed my artemis order through "Great Eastern Firearm Co" (Calcutta). Entire order placement process was smooth and they already shipped it yesterday. Hope I'll get in next few days. Basu sir has shared the number of Sanjit (Great Easter Firearm Co) in one of the thread (I'm unable to find the thread now). Number is:- 9831189107. i guess they will definitively ship to anywhere in India.

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:14 pm

vidhya007 wrote:I placed my artemis order through "Great Eastern Firearm Co" (Calcutta). Entire order placement process was smooth
The mentioned retailer is good. Has a nice attitude. About your new toy, make sure you try with a bunch of different pellets to find out your guns liking. I heard the Artemis likes United Shots. Master Shot is a standard Indian Pellet. Precipell is a very good pellet too. Remember though, while most imported pellets are of good quality, consistent and have a good finish, it need not necessarily be what your gun likes.
Keep us updated.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:05 pm

I was told that Artemis does quite well with Mastershot flathead 7.7 gn pellets in .177 caliber.
Ifgian Moulindu found JSB exact 8.44 gns doing better in his SDB 23 in .177.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:22 am

vidhya007 wrote:.... I ordered bunch of pellets from Kovaibazaar...

1. Master Shot Premier Pointed 0.177(4.5mm) 500/Tin (Rs 235) (grain - No idea)
2. G Smith & Co High Split 0.177(4.5mm) 200/Tin (Rs 210) (Grain - 8.9)
3. Gamo G-HAMMER(0.177Cal/4.5m) (Rs 600) (Grain - 15.4)
4. Gamo TS-10 (0.177Cal/4.5m) (Rs 524) (Grain - 10.5)

As you see above, I have already ordered and received above pellets in different grains.

I ordered more:
Master Shot Export Quality Round Head 0.177(4.5mm) 500/Tin (grain - ??)
Master Shot Export Quality Pointed 0.177(4.5mm) 500/Tin (grain - ??)
Marvellous Diana Shot Flat Head (0.177Cal/4.5m) 200/Tin (Grain -8.9)

Let me see which one artemis likes more....

vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:56 am

Guys - I got the gun delivered on 13th. I came well packed inside a plywood box.

There was oil everywhere on the barrel which i wiped clean for sometime and then screwed the barrel on to the stock.

As it came all the way from calcutta, there were some scuff marks in the stock (because the cardboard box in which the gun was kept inside the plywood box is torn)

Fired few shots with mastershot pointed pellets. Noted that trigger is heavy. I have to apply significant pressure to pull the trigger, due to which none of my shots were on target. As it has got adjustable trigger pull, would some one please throw some light as to how it has to be adjusted? (Gun came with no user manual :-()

Tested with following pellets..Noticed that sometimes mastershot pellets would fall out of breach if I try to close the breach by pointing the gun upwards. Seems like the mastershot pellets are not snug fit for the breach..

Master Shot Premier Pointed 0.177(4.5mm)
G Smith & Co High Split 0.177(4.5mm)

Finally the real bummerrrr :-( .. I decided to test the Gamo pellets...

Gamo G-HAMMER(0.177Cal/4.5m) (Grain - 15.4)
Gamo TS-10 (0.177Cal/4.5m) (Grain - 10.5)

Both the above pellets doesn't go inside the breach and is stuck as shown in the picture below. I applied little pressure and the pellets won't go inside. I didn't want to apply too much pressure and get the pellets stuck permanently inside...Not sure what to do with these pellets.. Is it the problem with pellet size or the bore size? Someone please clarify!!

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:59 am

In the review of the Artemis by Veer, he points out that the screw, where the portion of the barrel meets the stock near the rear sights, is used to adjust the trigger hardness and softness. This screw is visible in your 4th picture and I think that is what he was referring to. I don't have an Artemis and just going by what I remember seeing in the video.

vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:20 am

vidhya007 wrote: Both the above pellets doesn't go inside the breach and is stuck as shown in the picture below. I applied little pressure and the pellets won't go inside. I didn't want to apply too much pressure and get the pellets stuck permanently inside...Not sure what to do with these pellets.. Is it the problem with pellet size or the bore size? Someone please clarify!!
Now I got some more pellets shipped and tested them:

Diana 0.177 flat head - (edited) it goes inside the breach with a little push.
Master shot export quality - round head - No issues sits properly inside the breach
Master shot export quality - pointed head - is a tight fit inside the breach

Why do we have these inconsitencies? I'm really worried that quality pellets like diana flat heads and gamos doesn't enter the breach at all :-(

Any advice from experienced members here....
Last edited by vidhya007 on Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.