Looking to buy a new 0.177 Air rifle

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Looking to buy a new 0.177 Air rifle

Post by SMJ » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:05 am

Vidhya007 - what did the .177 Artemis cost you?

For Advertising mail webmaster
vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:30 pm

SMJ wrote:Vidhya007 - what did the .177 Artemis cost you?
It cost me 9000+1000 (for shipping etc). I guess, if you buy it in person from Great eastern firearms, you could buy it for 9000...

Added in 5 minutes 3 seconds:
I have ordered a scope for the AR - "25.4mm 11mm Rail Mounts+Gamo 3-12x50 AO Red Illuminated Air Rifle Optics Hunting Scope Sight Riflescopes Hunting Scope" fro ali express. It is now more than 20 days and today tracking says that it has reached kolkata (KOLKATA AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE) and they have sent it B'lore. Where does the customs guys check it? If it has already crossed kolkata, does it mean that it has already cleared customs? Just curious to know :-)

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:30 pm

Thanks Vidhya007

Sent from my SM-A500G using Tapatalk

broadway
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by broadway » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:34 am

vidhya007 wrote:I have ordered a scope for the AR - "25.4mm 11mm Rail Mounts+Gamo 3-12x50 AO Red Illuminated Air Rifle Optics Hunting Scope Sight Riflescopes Hunting Scope" fro ali express. It is now more than 20 days and today tracking says that it has reached kolkata (KOLKATA AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE) and they have sent it B'lore. Where does the customs guys check it? If it has already crossed kolkata, does it mean that it has already cleared customs? Just curious to know :-)
What is your location?

Earlier, customs check used to happen at kolkatta itself. Now, I'm observing that customs check happens locally. My shipments arrive at kolkatta and then the next tracking entry is it leaving mumbai customs and "sent to post office".

Unfortunately, the indian customs offices around india are operated as a source of revenue by the govt. The offices are ranked on the basis of income from custom duty. This is why I don't like tracked shipments as these are very likely to incur duty. Untracked shipments are in total contrast.

vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:54 am

[/quote]
What is your location?

[/quote]

I live in Bangalore. Shipment status says as shown in screenshot below:

broadway
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by broadway » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:33 am

I had a tracked shipment arrive last week. For some reason, the IPS site wasn't updating any scan entries. According to that site, the shipment was still in beijing.

you can search yours here
ipsweb.ptcmysore.gov.in/ipswebtracking/

Consecutively, see if you can find any new entries on these sites
globaltracktrace.ptc.post/gtt.web/
intmail.11185.cn/zdxt/yjcx/
indiapost.gov.in/VAS/Pages/trackconsignment.aspx

vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:56 am

I got my scope delivered today...

Scope came nicely packed. For some reason address label (only my address was in English) was all in Chinese. Only other English wording was "bicycle parts".. :-)

Pictures below:

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image Image

Yet to mount it on the AR... :skeet:

Added in 1 hour 25 minutes 32 seconds:
Mounted the scope on to artmeis...Yet to zero it in...

vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:33 pm

Guys I need help.

Offlate, I feel that the velocity of my artemis,is has dropped.

how do i know?
I used to hit targets (like 50 to 60 mts) and have the pellet hit marks on the wall. Now if I try to hit the same targets, pellet hit marks are atleast 2 to 3 mill dots down.

I guess it all started to happen after I forcefully try to fire few gamo pallets (i have mentioned thier names in the same thread erlier) which were very very tight fit into the barrel. I guess the sound of the AR also became slightly soft (used to be sharp earlier) after that. It may also be my slight OCD .. :lol: I'm wondering if the synthetic seal of the spring might have been compromised due to this. Is that a possibility at all?

Just wanted to pass another feedback about Marvelous pellets (premier, export quality - round head, pointed heads) - Don't buy them. I was trying hard to zero my scope with them and started wondering if my new scope had any problems because pellets were hitting all over the target sheet even after the adjustments..Spent almost 50 to 60 pellets and no luck. So I tried my luck with Diana flat heads. I was able to zero my scope after hitting almost 7 to 8 pellets.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:23 pm

All I can say , it is not easy to shoot straight so early before break in specially at such high velocity.
Drop of mildots is also not clear indicator of fall in velocity since it is a break barrel.
Tight pellets cannot cause any damage to seal and spring.
Let the AR settle down a little more.
Hope things will automatically be much better.
Please donot change the pellet so frequently.
Use P10 or MSFH.
May try JSB Exact 8.44 gns.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:00 am

Hi vidhya, check the scope mount for pellet drop.These dovetails on these rifles cant stop the scope mounts from moving.A picatinny or weaver rail can be apt for mounting a scope and holding them on the same place.
With regards,
vsraja

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:19 am

Dear vsraja,
This AR has three stop holes on rail groove.
If the lock pin of the scope mount is really jammed into the stop hole properly, I donot think the creep will continue.
I have scope on my Sport and that holds the position for months.
To shoot straight any high velocity AR , one needs to get used to with it.

Basu

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:51 pm

vidhya007 wrote:Guys I need help.

Offlate, I feel that the velocity of my artemis,is has dropped.

........ :lol: I'm wondering if the synthetic seal of the spring might have been compromised due to this. Is that a possibility at all?

....... I was able to zero my scope after hitting almost 7 to 8 pellets.
Any time I get a new toy, I have a habit of getting a small canvas bag of sand (3 to 5kg's), I then place that in to a not so tight gunny bag and shoot 30 to 50 pellets in to it at point blank range, daily. This helps in tameing the gun quickly.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

jatindra Singh Deo
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jatindra Singh Deo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:22 pm

Basu wrote:All I can say , it is not easy to shoot straight so early before break in specially at such high velocity.
Drop of mildots is also not clear indicator of fall in velocity since it is a break barrel.
Tight pellets cannot cause any damage to seal and spring.
Let the AR settle down a little more.
Use P10 or MSFH.

Basu

Basu da I can say for a power high Gas piston ,if you try exceedingly heavy pellets repeatedly for a caliber like .177 (jsb 16 grain beast , gamo hammer/buffalo etc) in a long plinking session ,it can cause damage to the seal ,owing to very fast lock time and high compression generating high temperatures as the heavy pellets take a little more time to exit .Same with very light pellets causing piston slam.Artemis as per members report is a 14+ ft lb rifle might or might not be the case but not very sure.

Alternatively the rifle may be dieseling during break in period and might have settled now.

I once had fired a HW90 with the breech not properly closed .The resulting loud crack left my ear ringing for a couple of minute and certainly was louder than my uncles bruno .22 LR ,owing to the piston slam of a magnum.I feared the worst and was prepared for long headache procuring the seal to replace the melted one along with adapter and pump to deflate and refill the theoben gas ram .But to my surprise the rifle was very consistent with an effective spread of 5-7 fps thereafter ,shooting consistent and as accurate as ever .Imagine how tough the PTFE seals are these days !!

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:02 pm

Dear Jatin,
I really stand educated regarding the heavy pellet issue.

Basu

vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:56 pm

Basu wrote:All I can say , it is not easy to shoot straight so early before break in specially at such high velocity.
Use P10 or MSFH.
Basu
Basu Sir, I just shot 3 to 5 Gamo TS 10 pellets and 2 Gamo G-Hammer pellets. Both were very very very tight fit inside barrel.

I'll try the pellets mentioned by you...

Added in 1 minute 3 seconds:
vsraja wrote:Hi vidhya, check the scope mount for pellet drop.These dovetails on these rifles cant stop the scope mounts from moving.A picatinny or weaver rail can be apt for mounting a scope and holding them on the same place.
It has 3 scope stop holes and I have secured the scope properly so that there is no movement at all.

Added in 4 minutes 20 seconds:
jatindra Singh Deo wrote:
...in a long plinking session ,it can cause damage to the seal ,owing to very fast lock time and high compression generating high temperatures as the heavy pellets take a little more time to exit .Same with very light pellets causing piston slam.Artemis as per members report is a 14+ ft lb rifle might or might not be the case but not very sure.

Alternatively the rifle may be dieseling during break in period and might have settled now.
It was not a long plinking session. I shot just 4 or 5 pellets.

I didn't notice any deiseling so far (I guess you would see a little smoke if it is dieseling) with this AR. but you may be right too...

Added in 2 minutes 23 seconds:
Big Daddy wrote: Any time I get a new toy, I have a habit of getting a small canvas bag of sand (3 to 5kg's), I then place that in to a not so tight gunny bag and shoot 30 to 50 pellets in to it at point blank range, daily. This helps in tameing the gun quickly.

BD
Good idea, I'll use all my MS Export quality Pointed, Rounded, MS premier pointed this way so that my AR can settle down. :D