License

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Siddharth.Life
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

License

Post by Siddharth.Life » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi there! First of all I would like to thank you all for making such an informative forum for Indian gun enthusiasts! I want an advice that how can I get a license to own an air rifle and what will be the cost of it? I'm 22 and a student. I'm currently not a member for any shooting club. Also, I want to know that If I some how manage to get the license provided I get some guidance here, can I carry my rifle while I'm travelling? Let me clarify travelling - I live in Delhi for my education but my family lives in Chandigarh so when I go back home in vacations or the weekend by a bus or train, I want to take my rifle along. Any help or advice will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: License

Post by Vikram » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:07 pm

Welcome to IFG. Your questions have been answered extensively on this forum.Do go through the older threads on this subject.You will find a lot of pertinent information.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

rajaiswal92
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by rajaiswal92 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:05 pm

You dont need an license to own an air gun of .177 , you will need a license for a .22 air rifle . Please read the new rules (arm rules 2016) . Not sure about the transportation part .

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:54 pm

You wont need a licence for an air-rifle/air-pistol in .177" (4.5 mm) calibre that has a muzzle energy below 14.75 ft.lbs. (20 Joules).

As for transportation, any carriage outside your premises has to be in a case that completely covers the air-rifle/pistol. The air-rifle/pistol must be carried uncocked and unloaded. Buy a rectangular case, rather than a profiled case, as it will draw less attention. And none of that camo nonsense.

Please note that if you are staying on the college premises (hostel), you WILL need permission from your college authorities to keep it in your hostel room. In such a case, your hostel room becomes your 'premises' and carriage outside that will have to be undertaken as mentioned above. You may only uncase it after reaching the range or your friend or relative's private property, assuming they don't mind you doing so.

Being present with a cased air-rifle/pistol in a public place is strictly forbidden, unless the place happens to be a shooting club, bus or train station or any other place where you have a valid reason for carrying the air-rifle/pistol to.

If you can get a letter from the Delhi licencing authority stating that air-rifle/pistol, with serial number XYZ does not require an Arms Licence, so much the better. I have my doubts about them giving you such a letter but it's worth trying for.

Last but not least, join a shooting club and carry the membership card when travelling with the air-rifle/pistol. The club should be willing to give you the type of official letter mentioned above.

Siddharth.Life
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: RE: Re: License

Post by Siddharth.Life » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:34 pm

Mack The Knife wrote:You wont need a licence for an air-rifle/air-pistol in .177" (4.5 mm) calibre that has a muzzle energy below 14.75 ft.lbs. (20 Joules).

As for transportation, any carriage outside your premises has to be in a case that completely covers the air-rifle/pistol. The air-rifle/pistol must be carried uncocked and unloaded. Buy a rectangular case, rather than a profiled case, as it will draw less attention. And none of that camo nonsense.

Please note that if you are staying on the college premises (hostel), you WILL need permission from your college authorities to keep it in your hostel room. In such a case, your hostel room becomes your 'premises' and carriage outside that will have to be undertaken as mentioned above. You may only uncase it after reaching the range or your friend or relative's private property, assuming they don't mind you doing so.

Being present with a cased air-rifle/pistol in a public place is strictly forbidden, unless the place happens to be a shooting club, bus or train station or any other place where you have a valid reason for carrying the air-rifle/pistol to.

If you can get a letter from the Delhi licencing authority stating that air-rifle/pistol, with serial number XYZ does not require an Arms Licence, so much the better. I have my doubts about them giving you such a letter but it's worth trying for.

Last but not least, join a shooting club and carry the membership card when travelling with the air-rifle/pistol. The club should be willing to give you the type of official letter mentioned above.
Thanks for so much info. I understood the carrying part well. I live on my own not in a hostel. I'll repeat my question with a little more detail, suppose I want to own a 0.22 caliber rifle or a little higher, what will be the procedure to obtain a license for that? I've been a national level archer in my high school times and I suppose the certificates would have helped in the process of obtaining the license but unfortunately they were lost. Can you suggest me a way to get the license?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Siddharth.Life on Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:17 am

Rydersnip44
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Airsoft Thread

Post by Rydersnip44 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:48 am

Planning to go for a .22 air rifle but I read that we need a license for it now
Were can I apply for that club membership or for the license i stay in bangalore
Last edited by Rydersnip44 on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.