Categorising:Power and Accuracy

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Sourojit
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Categorising:Power and Accuracy

Post by Sourojit » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi guys!!
Hope you are all doing well.
I am here with a new idea.I don't think this has been done here yet.
How about categorising and ranking Indian made air rifles and pistols as per their ''Power'' and ''Accuracy'' according to your experience(the best 10 or so)?

I have a query too: Precihole NX 100 looks like a very good gun,the best Indian made as per the discussions in this forum..but it is a break barrel,what about "Barrel droop" ? It is bound to droop after some time,what then? Same for other break barrels like the AARMR Huuricane mod 15,IHP 35,etc.
Can barrel droop be mended?
Does Precihole give any guarantee as to how many "open-close" cycles their guns can withstand before they start to droop?Or the guns like sdb,National,etc.?

Moreover don't Indian makers produce any CO2 guns..they will have more power than springers and no trouble with barrel droop.
"Give me blood,I will give you freedom."
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose

For Advertising mail webmaster
sam 47
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Categorising:Power and Accuracy

Post by sam 47 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:47 pm

Well my nx100 Scorpius has fired 12000 shots and barrel droop is as it was at day one.Barrel droop is very miniscule and every break barrel rifle produced has barrel droop.Barrels of break barrel air rifle never droop with normal use but only with abuse.That is why the spring powered chisel lock is there.
Even the most powerful CO2 guns produce only about 11fpe.And refitting gas cartridges & their availability is difficult in India.Their only advantage is multi shot capability.
In my humble opinion precihole nx100 series is in top of the list.Both in terms of power and accuracy.

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:40 am

Unless you are using a scope, barrel droop wouldn't even come into the equation. A scope is mounted on the scope mounts which is just above the trigger portion. The break barrel mechanism is somewhere in the middle. So it will affect your result a bit since there will be a slight difference between your POA and POI. Scopes can be adjusted to hit the POA if the droop is slight. If its severe, one might have to use droop compensating mounts. But you dont have to worry about droop just because some wise fellow has done it before you and has placed the rear sight right near the breech. So, no matter how severe a barrel droop is, your line of sight will be the same.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:59 am

More is the power , more is hold sensitivity, that is my understanding about spring powered ARs.
There has to be some trade off between power and accuracy.
Aarmr and Apache are powerful springers.
Precihole club elite,the nitro version is the most accurate AR.
Sport has advantage of convertiblity by reducing/increasing no.of coils for indoor or outdoor.
I had noticed some barrel droop in Precihole in their earlier production but it is no more there.
I was surprised to see the low cocking effort of Aarmr vis-a-vis power.
All above ARs are quite accurate but again club elite stands out.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:37 am

Basuda, to what extent would you say accuracy falls off with increase in power? Personally, I prefer accuracy over power, but it's "personal"!

Someone please make a 2X2 grid showing accuracy and power on X & Y axes. Any consultant types here? Or fresh MBAs/students?
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:36 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Someone please make a 2X2 grid showing accuracy and power on X & Y axes. Any consultant types here? Or fresh MBAs/students?
Essdee,
I dont think it will be that simple since the biggest factor will be the shooter. Then there are factors like pellets and shooting conditions etc. How well versed a person is with a particular air rifle may also make a difference.

Also increase in power resulting in reduced accuracy may hold true only to springers and gas rams and may out of the window with PCPs.

I guess it all comes down to personal experience/skill and comfort.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:21 pm

Dear essdee ,
MY experience or knowledge is limited to very few guns .
I find a co-relation between weight and accuracy also.
Here ,when I say accuracy , I mean consistency of accuracy.
As I thinks my recent buy Sport is too powerful than its weight of 3 kgs.
In order to reduce its punch , I scragged the spring for six hours.
Say , I am ready for tradeoff 3 fpe as against 13 fpe.
Aarmr , on the other hand is heavier than Precihole and Sport ,but strangely very low cocking effort.
This is a close or upto 12 fpe AR , yet it is very stable at that power level.
Precihole SX , which weigh 3.1 kgs , is found to be much better , once it pass through 2000 shots.
It is my opinion , had Precihole SX weight would have been around 3.5 kgs ,it could be much more stable from the word go.
I do not have any recorded data of fps at various stages of Precihole to find the exact meeting point of power and accuracy.
Trigger mechanism essentially top contributor in the field of accuracy.
Precihole has got most modern trigger , followed by Aarmr.
Sport has a direct sear simple trigger , yet adjustable.
At the end, I also prefer accuracy over power in any given day.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:06 pm

Essdee,
I dont think it will be that simple since the biggest factor will be the shooter. Then there are factors like pellets and shooting conditions etc. How well versed a person is with a particular air rifle may also make a difference.

Also increase in power resulting in reduced accuracy may hold true only to springers and gas rams and may out of the window with PCPs.

I guess it all comes down to personal experience/skill and comfort.
Kshitij, I agree.

But what I meant was, a comparison / correlation with "other factors being ideal" . Where just the AR makes the difference.

And since the OP mentioned Indian ARs, I left PCPs out of the contention altogether. I think what makes the difference at PCP level is how strong you can make the air tank of the PCP (capable of withstanding "so many" bars of pressure), within a weight / cost constraint. And how frequently does the user want to fill the tank.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley