My DIY pellet trap

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

My DIY pellet trap

Post by sohampaul11 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:58 pm

This is a DIY pellet trap that I've made with the help of my dad and our local carpenter. The backstop is an old wall hanger reinforced with styrofoam and covered with a sheet of Aluminium. I'll be covering it with a green velvet paper to top the light reflecting off it. The whole trap is made from a 1/4" thick ply and has been painted green. The front is an old masonite clipboard cut out in the middle. The clipboard holds the target in place and it can be slid in and out as neessary. I've stuffed the inside of the trap with old newspapers and magazines. But I've made provisions to fit a thick steel plate on the inside of the trap at an angle to contain the pellets. I've used my study table lamp for illumination purpose as of now. The distance from the floor to the centre of the target is 140cm.
Let the pics do the talking.

uploadimage

screen capture freeware

screen capture windows

image upload

how to take a screenshot on a pc

image url upload

screen shot windows

images upload

photo hosting sites

image hosting gif

image hosting 12mb

screen capture windows

For Advertising mail webmaster
StormTruppen
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: My DIY pellet trap

Post by StormTruppen » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:42 pm

Good work Soham.. But, you could have made that much modular so that you can like carry it out doors for say, flexibility. I will post pictures of mine tonight, which I made like 2 years ago.

Keep up the good work :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-- The Only thing to STOP a BAD Guy with a GUN is a GOOD Guy with a GUN. (y) (y) :irule: :clap:

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:13 pm

The best back stop I've ever used is the good old fat yellow pages book. That's one heck of a pellet stopper. Would advice you place one inside instated of news papers.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:59 pm

BD,will find one right away. Thank for the suggestion! :-)

Storm Truppen,please do! :D That would give me an idea! :D

AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by AnandNair » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Good work Sohampaul. I had also made one a few years before and still using it. Used Glass putty inside the stop since i could not source duct sealant. The pellets are safely stopped and is silent too. The putty gets hard and crumbly after around 2 years, but cheap enough to replace easily. My pellet trap is placed outside the house and has not dried out yet.
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:41 pm

Where can the duct sealant be sourced here?
Doent glass putty make it quite heavy? I doubt my trap supports can take that much weight.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:17 pm

I use an old oil tin (I used to work for a company which made oil in 15 kg tins). Cut off the center of one side (make it like a frame), paint it, shove a telephone directory inside, attach a clip or two, and you're set.

The issue is, the phone companies have stopped giving away the free phone books!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:27 pm

I agree. :(

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:56 pm

sohampaul11 wrote:This is a DIY pellet trap that I've made with the help of my dad and our local carpenter. The backstop is an old wall hanger reinforced with styrofoam and covered with a sheet of Aluminium. I'll be covering it with a green velvet paper to top the light reflecting off it. The whole trap is made from a 1/4" thick ply and has been painted green. The front is an old masonite clipboard cut out in the middle. The clipboard holds the target in place and it can be slid in and out as neessary. I've stuffed the inside of the trap with old newspapers and magazines. But I've made provisions to fit a thick steel plate on the inside of the trap at an angle to contain the pellets. I've used my study table lamp for illumination purpose as of now. The distance from the floor to the centre of the target is 140cm.
Let the pics do the talking.
Good job and very innovative.

Atul

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:30 pm

Thank you! :-)

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:25 pm

sohampaul11 wrote:Where can the duct sealant be sourced here?
Doent glass putty make it quite heavy? I doubt my trap supports can take that much weight.
I don't quite understand where exactly do you want to use glass putty or duct sealant in the pellet trap. But you can source silicone glass sealant in any hardware shop.

GNV

harshvardhan
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshvardhan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:26 pm

The picture provides a clue that ,You are from Bengal... :D
Clue is newspapers Stuffed Inside.. :)
Give a try to Coconut Fibres. ..
Will be Cheap Reliable and Dampening of Sound Can be achieved and its not very heavy
And In Bengal I think Its not tough to get

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:35 pm

harshvardhan wrote:The picture provides a clue that ,You are from Bengal... :D
Clue is newspapers Stuffed Inside.. :)
Yup. Tollygunge,Kolkata to be exact.

By coconut fibre,you mean coir(chopra),right? Nope,not hard to find at all. Saraswati puja's the day after tomorrow. Will easily be able to salvage some! :lol:

harshvardhan
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshvardhan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:46 pm

All the best,hope this easily available thing will do the trick ,remember to place them well otherwise pellet will travel through the gaps

sohampaul11
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sohampaul11 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:36 pm

Will try the options before settling on one!