simpChrony-a Handy Ballistic Chronograph

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
harshvardhan
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: simpChrony-a Handy Ballistic Chronograph

Post by harshvardhan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:06 pm

AnandNair wrote:Very good work Harshvardhan.
What would be the cost of the end product? If it is fitted on to the barrel, can it be done on to a rifle like the precihole, or a competition rifle which has the front barrel weights/sights. My combro is lying in the junk box because it is simply too cumbersome to fit on to the barrel. May be a variable size clamping system would work.
keep up the good work.
Dear friend,its much better then combro I personally tested both combro and simpchrony..the normal lcd version will cost less and the Bluetooth version will be little costly...for costing I am still working so that everyone can have it much lower than cost of combro..so do not want to publish cost right now..And yes it will fit perfectly on Precihole with front sight as well as with muzzle brakes,infact for any other rifle upto about 1 inch of barrel diameter..

For Advertising mail webmaster
mayankbanerjee1
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by mayankbanerjee1 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:39 pm

harshvardhan wrote:
AnandNair wrote:Very good work Harshvardhan.
What would be the cost of the end product? If it is fitted on to the barrel, can it be done on to a rifle like the precihole, or a competition rifle which has the front barrel weights/sights. My combro is lying in the junk box because it is simply too cumbersome to fit on to the barrel. May be a variable size clamping system would work.
keep up the good work.
Dear friend,its much better then combro I personally tested both combro and simpchrony..the normal lcd version will cost less and the Bluetooth version will be little costly...for costing I am still working so that everyone can have it much lower than cost of combro..so do not want to publish cost right now..And yes it will fit perfectly on Precihole with front sight as well as with muzzle brakes,infact for any other rifle upto about 1 inch of barrel diameter..
harshvardhan sir,

Is simpChrony available for us. I would love to buy one if available. Make in India is awsome.

Regards,
Mayank

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:46 pm

It worked excellently in my hand.
It did not miss a single shot.
This is well calibrated with F1 and crossed checked with Audacity software.
It can not adapt any gun with muzzle brake.
Works on Mobile Power Bank/electricity with smart phone charger.
it can not be used for fire arms.
you can mail him.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:03 pm

I had a first hand experience of it yesterday. A friend got it for 3000₹ + postage. A very expensive deal AFAIK considering value for money.

It is a great school hobby project but actually a DIY lab prototype if you look at it from a commercial perspective (which IMO is the idea being sold here.). Nowhere near a commercial product it is. If you know a little electronics and hardware programming you can get a far better one made for yourself from the gray market of your city for under 1000₹.

It is a 10" CPVC pipe of 1/2" dia (with 4" length cut from the top to insert the barrel into) containing 2 LEDs (stuck with some kind of glue and tape) to capture time lapse and an exposed circuit board to run a timer circuit and hooked with a small display to display speed, power and standard deviation.

You cannot stick anything bigger than a 1/2" barrel inside the 'slit' meant for sticking it in.. Try sticking a bull barrel or anything with a plastic sight and you will be sorely disappointed...

Even if you stick it in, it will probably get misaligned and the pellet will miss one of the LEDs. If it doesn't miss the LEDs, it is a given that sooner or later one of them pellets is going to ricochet off inside the pipe and blow up the LEDs.. or the pipe itself, if you dare shoot a high powered PCP into it... But that will obviously not be covered under the 'limited lifetime warranty'... :D

After paying 3000₹ for a 500₹ piece of hardware, you don't get a manual to begin with. I had to go back to school electronics class to figure out that RST means RESET in GeekSpeak.

Pellet weight has to be entered every single time you start it up. If you have to hit RST, do it all over again...

It has hardware programming bugs, throws up random counters whenever you start it. Sometimes whenever the code is in the right mood it say, "SHOOT, I'M READY"... That is the hint for the shooter to squeeze it... :twisted:

Then more than half the shots whizz past either of the LEDs and the poor thing gets confused... If you're lucky it might tell you to "Take another shot", until it finally comes... :P

If that doesn't happen, it will just get stuck and you should then figure out that it wants you to stick your finger in both the holes to make it get ready for another shot...

When you will finally manage to extract a reading out of it, in between a series of snags and errors, it might throw up something like 167 fps for an SDB Apache shooting 11 gr pellets.. Go figure 'spring heads'.... :P

Then again it might get in the mood and throw up some more realistic numbers but by then you have lost faith in its reliability and toss it aside and set up Chronoconnect instead.... THAT is exactly what we did...

Being a full exposed, DIY circuit, forget about using it in the open ever..

Remember to protect the circuit from water, sweat, high voltage etc.

Even then the open circuit wires might just decide they want to get snagged into something and rip the thing apart at the first opportunity... Mr Murphy certainly hates this sort of thing on the shooting range...

I would guess it's maximum usable life to be anything between 10 minutes (in our case we used it for less than that time before dumping it aside) to one year for a perfectly running piece free of above snags...

You might have heard of its positives by certain 'experts', here are its gaping drawbacks, readers can decide the value for their money.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:51 pm

It worked excellently in my hand.
It did not miss a single shot.
This is well calibrated with F1 and crossed checked with Audacity software.
It can not adapt any gun with muzzle brake.
Works on Mobile Power Bank/electricity with smart phone charger.

Basu

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Well I tested the same apparently and this was experience. Half a truth is more dangerous than a complete lie on most occasions.

harshvardhan
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshvardhan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:00 pm

nitroex700 wrote:I had a first hand experience of it yesterday. A friend got it for 3000₹ + postage. A very expensive deal AFAIK considering value for money.

It is a great school hobby project but actually a DIY lab prototype if you look at it from a commercial perspective (which IMO is the idea being sold here.). Nowhere near a commercial product it is. If you know a little electronics and hardware programming you can get a far better one made for yourself from the gray market of your city for under 1000₹.

It is a 10" CPVC pipe of 1/2" dia (with 4" length cut from the top to insert the barrel into) containing 2 LEDs (stuck with some kind of glue and tape) to capture time lapse and an exposed circuit board to run a timer circuit and hooked with a small display to display speed, power and standard deviation.

You cannot stick anything bigger than a 1/2" barrel inside the 'slit' meant for sticking it in.. Try sticking a bull barrel or anything with a plastic sight and you will be sorely disappointed...

Even if you stick it in, it will probably get misaligned and the pellet will miss one of the LEDs. If it doesn't miss the LEDs, it is a given that sooner or later one of them pellets is going to ricochet off inside the pipe and blow up the LEDs.. or the pipe itself, if you dare shoot a high powered PCP into it... But that will obviously not be covered under the 'limited lifetime warranty'... :D

After paying 3000₹ for a 500₹ piece of hardware, you don't get a manual to begin with. I had to go back to school electronics class to figure out that RST means RESET in GeekSpeak.

Pellet weight has to be entered every single time you start it up. If you have to hit RST, do it all over again...

It has hardware programming bugs, throws up random counters whenever you start it. Sometimes whenever the code is in the right mood it say, "SHOOT, I'M READY"... That is the hint for the shooter to squeeze it... :twisted:

Then more than half the shots whizz past either of the LEDs and the poor thing gets confused... If you're lucky it might tell you to "Take another shot", until it finally comes... [emoji14]

If that doesn't happen, it will just get stuck and you should then figure out that it wants you to stick your finger in both the holes to make it get ready for another shot...

When you will finally manage to extract a reading out of it, in between a series of snags and errors, it might throw up something like 167 fps for an SDB Apache shooting 11 gr pellets.. Go figure 'spring heads'.... [emoji14]

Then again it might get in the mood and throw up some more realistic numbers but by then you have lost faith in its reliability and toss it aside and set up Chronoconnect instead.... THAT is exactly what we did...

Being a full exposed, DIY circuit, forget about using it in the open ever..

Remember to protect the circuit from water, sweat, high voltage etc.

Even then the open circuit wires might just decide they want to get snagged into something and rip the thing apart at the first opportunity... Mr Murphy certainly hates this sort of thing on the shooting range...

I would guess it's maximum usable life to be anything between 10 minutes (in our case we used it for less than that time before dumping it aside) to one year for a perfectly running piece free of above snags...

You might have heard of its positives by certain 'experts', here are its gaping drawbacks, readers can decide the value for their money.
Dear Friend, do you think it's little electronics and Hardware..Sorry friend you have forgotten the programming language used..A original Arduino Uno costs around 1200-1400 which is the heart of the project..It's really hurts when my that much effort is neglected by someone..
I already told mr Anup that it's ment for barrels without muzzle brake like ihp and SDB.so do not blame for larger sized barrels..Anupji tested Gen Next in .177 ..so many shots and data was satisfactory...I think there is problem in Apache....My aim was to provide a low cost accurate solution for Indian airgunners to measure the velocity...And more over I am not a commercial producer and do not have plan for that....it's already calibrated with F1 chrony..so it's result are credible...the look and feel is not like commercial product which it's not..hope you understand my effort towards development..very few in India have produced a chrony...hope u understand it's tough to produce a fabulous looking chrony in home made projects hope you understand

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

anoop
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anoop » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi all, it is me who had requested Avishek to make a chrony for me to do experiments with my Gennex .177. Accordingly Avishek sent one to me. Nitrox 700 was with me when we started using it but incorrectly. Nitrox soon left. Meanwhile I phoned Avishek for guidance which he gave me on phone for using it correctly. Thereafter I experimented with five different types of pellets using Gennex. The results were good getting 640 fps with 7.3 grains USRH. Experiment results I discussed with Basu dear and were absolutely perfect. Nitrox 700 opinions appear were of that period when we did not know how to use it. As far as pipe size is concerned its made for Gennex as per my requirement which Nitrox is unaware of. My special thanks to Avishek for the chrony which is good and this way I also avoid Chinese made chrony . The data which comes after every 5 shot is very useful. Thanks again Anoop

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:31 pm

harshvardhan wrote: Dear Friend, do you think it's little electronics and Hardware..Sorry friend you have forgotten the programming language used..A original Arduino Uno costs around 1200-1400 which is the heart of the project..It's really hurts when my that much effort is neglected by someone..
I already told mr Anup that it's ment for barrels without muzzle brake like ihp and SDB.so do not blame for larger sized barrels..Anupji tested Gen Next in .177 ..so many shots and data was satisfactory...I think there is problem in Apache....My aim was to provide a low cost accurate solution for Indian airgunners to measure the velocity...And more over I am not a commercial producer and do not have plan for that....it's already calibrated with F1 chrony..so it's result are credible...the look and feel is not like commercial product which it's not..hope you understand my effort towards development..very few in India have produced a chrony...hope u understand it's tough to produce a fabulous looking chrony in home made projects hope you understand

Harshvardhan I DID give you credit for the project. More power to your innovative mind!

However it is a DIY prototype and not a commercial product IMO. There are several half truths regarding it that are being shared and many readers will be disappointed like myself if they buy it, at least this is my firm belief. Subtly marketing a lab prototype as a commercial product is what I didn't like.

There may be some members who might spend 3000₹+ on a circuit board and thank you for it out of their benign spirit, I just have a bad habit of being a blunt critic, sorry for that.

Also, decent Taiwanese ones cost about twice the amount being charged, so I don't exactly find it a 'low cost' alternative, especially since it is not built to last, is buggy and cannot be used in the field. I prefer value for money, that is just the way I am. Sorry if it hurt your sentiments.

Next, the Arduino Uno used by you in the project is available for 350₹ online. I can give you the link in case your supplier is fooling you...

A 10' PVC pipe costs 100-200₹, and is enough for at least 10-12 such projects.
Wires and LEDs cost another 100-150 bucks.

So please enlighten me regarding the gigantic 'production costs' here pls! Even I like tinkering with stuff but I call spades as spades. Commercialization is fine... acting a victim and fooling people is not!

MOST of the points regarding it's flaws are genuine, except perhaps the programming bugs part, as can be guaged by the description... Perhaps YOU need a refresher in ASM bud, I don't, as I don't need it any more...

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:42 pm

BTW ....any idea that what is the material cost of one F1 chrony.
Wish to be enlightened.

Basu

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:02 am

Basu wrote:BTW ....any idea that what is the material cost of one F1 chrony.
Wish to be enlightened.

Basu
THAT brings into perspective the commercialization aspect Sir. It is NOT a hobby project clearly, hence the blunt criticism. Thank you Sir and my sincere apologies for sentiments hurt, if any.

harshvardhan
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshvardhan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:47 pm

For making a chronograph one need to use microprocessor and sensors which are able to go down upto nanosecond or atleast microseconds precion..Arduino come with 16 mhz crystal and can go down upto 4 micro second..in this crony the Arduino has been tweaked with external high precision microcontroller .. that makes the Arduino costly...and the sensors too have high precision setup.that also incurred cost...I tried my level best to make it work..so many failures to get a precious working model... anyways thanks friend for your criticism..it will drive me towards a cosmic beautification.

himanshu maru
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by himanshu maru » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:21 pm

Friends i have ordered one chronograph from ali express for Rs.2800. I hope it is better than simpChrony.....it is good for airgun upto 1200fps....will review it once got it.Image

Sent from my SM-G928G using Tapatalk

harshvardhan
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshvardhan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:49 pm

These are for 6 mm BB guns

himanshu maru
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by himanshu maru » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:44 pm

harshvardhan wrote:These are for 6 mm BB guns

Very true but can be used for 4.5 , 5.5 mm also as projectile size and weight can be changed. 2 of my friends are using it for air guns and pcp

Sent from my SM-G928G using Tapatalk