My SX-100 ORION

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

My SX-100 ORION

Post by GNV » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:53 pm

My second ORION an SX-100 is has been hibernating for years. On 14th I received an UTG Barrel Droop compensating scope mounting rail,UTG Low Profile Picatinny Rings, a few hundred Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-C Targets of different sizes and a dozen tins of 4 different JSBs and one tin of Crosman Premier Hollow Points.
After last nights Sankranti festivities woke up rather late today afternoon and decided to fix my UTG 3 - 12 x 40 AO Scope on my SX-ORION which is from the earlier batches and suffers from excessive barrel droop using the UTG compensating rail and test it for accuracy.
Fixed the scope and adjusted it for a near zero at 11 yards using JSB Exact JUMBO EXPRESS Pellets. According to Chair Gun software the far zero would be around 27 yards with a 1 inch killzone.
Shot the following Pellets at 11 yards using 4X magnification and 2 inch Target Patches.All are 5 shot groups.

1. JSB JUMBO RS - 13.43 grn.
2. JSB JUMBO EXPRESS - 14.35 grn.
3. JSB JUMBO - 15.89 grn.
4. JSB JUMBO HEAVY - 18.13 grn.
5. Crosman Premier Hollow Point - 14.3 grn.
6. H&N FTT - 14.66 grn.
7. GSmith HIGH IMPACT - 15.2 grn.
8. PRECIPELL - 15 grn.

You can see the results below. :D
IMG_0.JPG
IMG_1.JPG
IMG_2.JPG
My choice of Indian Pellet for this Gun would be GSmith HIGH IMPACT for general Plinking as they are easily available and JSBs would be for serious shooting.

:cheers:

GNV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Re: My SX-100 ORION

Post by Basu » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:26 pm

Dear GNV,
I find all groupings are quite satisfying.
Precipell is not to discounted.Hope a little change of forearm grip ,made the grouping a shade longer.
JSB is outstanding.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

alameinite
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by alameinite » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:34 pm

SDB sport vs .22 SX vs .22 NX..which one is the best buy
"The hills are barren, cold and steep, But I have promises to keep,
A lot to sweat , Before I sleep,...And Miles to run before I sleep.."
:cheers:

Master
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Master » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:03 pm

Basu wrote:Dear GNV,
I find all groupings are quite satisfying.
Precipell is not to discounted.Hope a little change of forearm grip ,made the grouping a shade longer.
JSB is outstanding.

Basu
Recently weighed some of the precepell and was surprised to find that their weight is about 13 grain in contrast to 15 grain printed on the box. They are also smaller than older batches of precipell. I think that is why Precihole stopped production of them.

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:27 pm

Nice GNV. The lady looks beautiful. Would love to see the 27 yard grouping.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:33 am

Today I tried to find the far zero of my SX- ORION .

As you know I adjusted my scope for near zero at 11 yards using JSB Express pellets. I found today the far zero to be at 24 yards. The picture of 5 shot group is below. Scope magnification is 6X.The pics were taken using my Phone. So the file size is big.
JSB Express.jpg
At 24 yards JSB RS grouped like this below photo.
JSB RS.jpg
Will test other pellets tomorrow.

GNV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:24 am

Very good grouping GNV
Are you using bench rest for shooting
Is possible please post the grouping of AARMR gun at 25 yards as we know about the power of this gun but nobody discuss about the accuracy

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:46 am

Yes. I am shooting from bench rest. After completing the shooting with ORION using different pellets at different ranges, I will do the Hurricane. I have only one scope at present. So I will do SX-ORION first and do the Hurricane next. But the Hurricane trigger is very poor.There is no way to compare it with ORION. I am waiting for the new 2 stage trigger to materialize. Actually the Hurricane did pretty well out of box at 19 yards. But the trigger deteriorated with use instead of becoming smooth and now the trigger on my Hurricane is highly unpredictable and very hard.

GNV

P.S: I am not a good shooter either.

Big Daddy
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Big Daddy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:22 am

That grouping is enviable even if it's bench rested. I wonder why some quarters try to play down such excellent products.
You continue to keep us on our toes GNV. Looking forward to see the second grouping.

BD
The early bird gets the worm, but the fact is, if the worm had woken up late, it would still be alive.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:00 pm

That's pretty nice.
Why you say that you are not a good shooter ?
This is enviable.

Basu

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:24 pm

Dear Basu,

I am just an average shooter. Learning again after a break of 2 decades. Back those days I was primarily an air gun hunter. What mattered in those days was getting close enough so as not to miss and shoot the game. In those pre internet days only the air gun magazines from U.K.were the source of information.And I was able to get them rarely when I visited the then MADRAS city occasionally. With internet and this forum and its members I am learning new things everyday since I became a member of this forum. When I gave up air gun shooting in mid 90s, never thought I would again take it up. When I became aware of PH Sports on this forum it rekindled my interest in air gunning and I am learning a lot about air gunning and truly hooked than before. And I came across this forum by accident.

Here is the JSB HEAVY Group. The flyer was my mistake. Shot it without properly holding the gun to my shoulder. Today I was able to shoot only this pellet.
JSB Heavy.jpg
Scope View.jpg
Added in 10 minutes 18 seconds:
My improvised Bench rest in my Cocoa Plantation.
20160124_171554.jpg
20160124_171119.jpg
I have enough space to build a safe shooting range of 50 mts. I intend to do it next summer so that I can also shoot 0.22 LR Rifle on it.
20160124_171707.jpg
GNV

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:44 pm

Then it is a good come back by any standard !!
Oohhhhh........what a long range you have.....ideal for .22 lr.
Is your AR suffering from barrel droop ?

Basu

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:58 pm

Very severe barrel droop. It was from the earlier batches.As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread on 14th of this month I got my UTG compensating rail. So I pulled this ORION out of hibernation.

GNV

Added in 1 hour 10 minutes :
Just now noticed that the JSB RS photo was aligned wrongly. The sticker was stuck to the board wrongly. Made a mental note when shooting. But forgot when posting. The correct photo is below.
JSB RS.jpg
GNV