Hunting with airguns

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:11 pm

Yaj, more than spleen & liver, its the kidneys! a bit short on the 'lead' and if the kidneys are hit, its as dramatic as a head shot-just switch off-pouff!
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:18 pm

eljefe";p="27706 wrote:Yaj, more than spleen & liver, its the kidneys! a bit short on the 'lead' and if the kidneys are hit, its as dramatic as a head shot-just switch off-pouff!
Exactly Asif! In an animal that small there are plenty of vitals in that area to do some serious damage!
Regards,
Yaj.
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Hunting with airguns

Post by snIPer » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:29 pm

Shot this here vermin with a .177 IHP. One head shot at 15 feet is all that it took.
Sorry about the bad pic as it was taken in the dead of night with a mobile.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:09 pm

While airgun hunting I think one would prefer to go for a head shot, factoring in the higher chances of a miss. So the guy goes free if you muck up the shot rather than suffering. Cause none of us are in such desperate need for food and would in theory be hunting for sport.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:22 pm

dev";p="27716 wrote:Cause none of us are in such desperate need for food and would in theory be hunting for sport.

Regards,

Dev
Are you of the opinion that "hunting for meat" is only right if one was in desperate need of it?
Regards,
Yaj.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:44 pm

Yup, when atavastic instincts are taking a snooze!

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:55 pm

So hypothetically i f i was in a country where shooting deer is legal and i felt like harvesting venison for myself and friends and family I would be wrong to do so.On the other hand if I felt my "sporting" credentials needed a fillip and i needed a set of antlers on my wall I would be justifed in going out and bagging one?

There has got to be something wrong with this mindset!
Regards,
Yaj.

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:59 pm

Some additional info on the woodchuck/caliber topic.

http://www.velocitypress.com/Woodchucks.shtml

Yaj.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:02 pm

Yaj, I think Dev implied the hunting opportunities , or lack of in India. From the game perspective, it has always been prudent (and humane ) to be the fastest with the mostest.If its rats and bandicoots-its pset control-do your thing.
I'm guessing airgunners have better sense of precision and shot placement.
As for the atavastic part, IT IS! the hunter instinct kicking in, whether its for trophy or for the meat.
I've done just that...pics and horns.Gave the meat away to a worthy cause.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:21 pm

Hi YAJ,
The topic is hunting with airguns and we are talking small game. Secondly, most of us don't have the privellege to hunt being banned etc. So I don't know what you are talking about. Secondly, if you were to use an air rifle on small game it is our duty to kill as cleanly as we can. Anyway i am not laying down the bible just what i believe in. So no barbs were aimed at you or anyone else for that matter just an opinion. I have been on antelope hunts in my teen years and though it seemed exciting then, looking at a deer with the lungs sticking out from the exit hole of a 30 06 wound ended it all for me.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

sunilssn
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Hunting with guns

Post by sunilssn » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:37 pm

Dear Yaj,
You can get a BIG game licence for wildbore restricted to 3 pe month from RFO at Nagathane on NH17 and u can renew ur old big game licence also.

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:39 pm

dev";p="27737 wrote:Hi YAJ,
The topic is hunting with airguns and we are talking small game. Secondly, most of us don't have the privellege to hunt being banned etc. So I don't know what you are talking about. Secondly, if you were to use an air rifle on small game it is our duty to kill as cleanly as we can. Anyway i am not laying down the bible just what i believe in. So no barbs were aimed at you or anyone else for that matter just an opinion. I have been on antelope hunts in my teen years and though it seemed exciting then, looking at a deer with the lungs sticking out from the exit hole of a 30 06 wound ended it all for me.
Regards,

Dev
Dev don't get me wrong, no personal slight was even imagined.Since we are talking of hunting in India which we know is illegal.
As for the clean kill obviously that is a given,in fact that is why i was very eager to know from those more experienced than me as to what would constitute one.
My bone of contention was your statement:
"Cause none of us are in such desperate need for food and would in theory be hunting for sport"
Hunting being illegal in India it is just an academic debate but I beg to differ with you on that one in principle. I think hunting for meat makes as much sense if not more than hunting for sport(as in trophy).

Asif, i hope I explained myself.I was just being my obtuse self :wink:
Regards,
Yaj.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:13 pm

The .17HMR 17 gr V-Max is very frangible and highly unlikely to pass through an animals carcase. The energy transferred is remarkable and even with a head shot, considerable bruising of the carcase around the upper body will be found. The V-Max is excellent for vermin control but not ideal for hunting
The 20 gr XTP is a very different bullet and much better for hunting `for the pot` as the bullet stays largely intact and doesn`t fragment into loads of tiny pieces. Penetration is far superior to the V-Max but energy transfer is obviously adequte as I once shot three rabbits with one bullet and all three dropped where they sat. That sounds like a hunting `tall story` but is absolutely true.
Something else that sounds like a tall story is the inherent accuracy of the .17HMR - my CZ 452 Varmint would group Hornady 17 gr XTPs in 1" @ 200 yards, .55" @ 100 yards.

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Hunting with guns

Post by Yaj » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:23 pm

sunilssn";p="27753 wrote:Dear Yaj,
You can get a BIG game licence for wildbore restricted to 3 pe month from RFO at Nagathane on NH17 and u can renew ur old big game licence also.
No such luck mate :-( No fire arms here.

Grumpy";p="27757 wrote: The .17HMR 17 gr V-Max is very frangible and highly unlikely to pass through an animals carcase. The energy transferred is remarkable and even with a head shot, considerable bruising of the carcase around the upper body will be found. The V-Max is excellent for vermin control but not ideal for hunting
The 20 gr XTP is a very different bullet and much better for hunting `for the pot` as the bullet stays largely intact and doesn`t fragment into loads of tiny pieces. Penetration is far superior to the V-Max but energy transfer is obviously adequte as I once shot three rabbits with one bullet and all three dropped where they sat. That sounds like a hunting `tall story` but is absolutely true.
Something else that sounds like a tall story is the inherent accuracy of the .17HMR - my CZ 452 Varmint would group Hornady 17 gr XTPs in 1" @ 200 yards, .55" @ 100 yards.

Thanks for the clarification and info Grumpy.A hat trick no less :wink: !

Regards,
Yaj.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:01 pm

Thanks, Grumpy.

Mack The Knife