My NEW Old ORION

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

My NEW Old ORION

Post by GNV » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:12 am

A couple of weeks ago I emailed Dr.Shirsat asking him if I could purchase a set of current production Precihole Rifle's Barrel and Receiver only so that I can solve the excessive barrel droop problem of atleast one of my two ORIONs and received the following response from Dr.Shirsat.

"
Dear Mr. Rao,
Thank you for your continued support and interest in our products.
I have read your posts and appreciate your interest.
I will specially get a barrel and receiver aligned for you for scope use.
I will let you know the price from the factory. Please let me know if you need any other parts. I would suggest putting a fresh piston seal.
We are now having better tolerance of Barrel receiver fitting due to and improved CNC process but the error is always maintained on the side of droop rather than the barrel going up as then it is very difficult to align the sights as the stock has a high cheek piece. This setting is maintained by all factories in the world making break barrels as the required tolerances in this area are to the level of 0.05 mm +.
Alternatively you have to do hand fitting by filing the breech face carefully.

Best Regards,
Dr. Y. P. Shirsat
Director "

I opted to buy a new set of Barrel and Receiver and a few spare parts(Two sets of stock fixing screws, Two Piston Seals and one Trigger Spring Plunger)and informed him about it and the next day I received an email from Ms.Anjum A.Qazi, Sr.Sales executive of Precihole Sports informing me how much I need to pay. They quoted an amount which is about half of what I am expecting to pay. They charged me for only the Barrel and Receiver Set and the Spring Plunger. The rest were complimentary. She informed me that they are on Dr.Shirsat's request charging me a highly discounted Rates as a special case.

I never expected this kind of response from an Indian Manufacturer. Thank You PRECIHOLE SPORTS.

I paid and received my order today evening. I was confined to my home for the past two days due to rains. So I was able to fit the parts immediately.
The photos are below.
IMG_1.JPG
IMG_2.JPG
Added in 17 minutes 37 seconds:
IMG_3.JPG
Comparison of my OLD and NEW ORION Barrel and Receiver Sets.
IMG_4.JPG
IMG_5.JPG
IMG_6.JPG
I removed the Cocking Lever from my old Barrel and fitted it to the new barrel. Removed the Trigger Assembly and Nitro Piston from my old ORION.
Cleaned the new receiver tube and lubricated it with moly. Put a new piston seal on the Nitro Piston. Assembled the Trigger on the new receiver and assembled the new action and fitted it in the stock.

Now I have a Nitro Piston ORION without any Barrel Droop and loving it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: My NEW Old ORION

Post by kshitij » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:22 am

Congratulations GNV.
Perfect timing! Now we can expect a full comparison between the performance/accuracy of the Precihole vs. the newer contenders. I know where my bets are firmly placed :mrgreen:
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:37 am

Hello GNV,
Congrats!!!!
Hats off to Doc. Shirsat / Precihole for their gesture!!!!!!
Now awaiting your test results with your new 'Toy'!!!!!!!
Briha

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:11 pm

Thank You Kshitij and Brihaji.
I noticed a few differences between the old and new receiver tubes. The breach block jaws are a bit shorter while the barrel hinge bolt location is the same. It seems the receiver tube wall thickness is thinner in the new one. OD seems to be same because it fits normally in the stock. Dovetail grooves are much better. May be because this is a non production and replacement set the company name, logo and model name are not engraved on the receiver tube. One thing I didn't like is breaking and closing the barrel is hard and require force to be applied. Particularly closing. I have to forcefully snap it close. On the old one it was very smooth.
It was drizzling again so I couldn't shoot outdoors. Fitted my scope using a one piece mount and plinked from my balcony at small objects at about 25 meters and the gun is accurate and best thing is there is no noticeable barrel drooping. May be no barrel droop at all. :D

Hoping that the weather clears tomorrow. There is work to be done on my plantation and I have two guns to test.

GNV.

P.S: and Kshitij those photos I requested.....

M.C.Babu Reddy
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by M.C.Babu Reddy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:52 pm

Thank you GNV sir the way you are sharing each and every thing regarding AR's. Dr. i think Dr. Y. P. Shirsat also noticed your effort what we are experiencing as a IFGN you deserve it. looking forward on your tests.

Namaskaram
M.C.Babu Reddy

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi GNV,
Remembered. PM me your number. Will wataspp them to you right away.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:46 pm

Knockdown Rabbit Target. The rear view photos of mechnism with the target in fallen state and upright state.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:08 pm

Sent. Let me know if you need anything else.
Cheers.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:52 pm

Hello,

I am facing a strange thing with my new Receiver and Barrel set.

Some whitish powder is forming on the breach block face and where it mates with the receiver as shown in the below photos.
IMG_8041.JPG
IMG_8042.JPG
IMG_8043.JPG
When I received the set this powder is there and I cleaned it. It is forming again and again. Everyday after handling the gun I am wiping it with gun oil to prevent rusting and still I am finding this powder formed by the morning. I cleaned it in the morning and it again formed by now 4:00 PM.

Could some one please explain this.

Regards,

GNV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ganeshn
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ganeshn » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:29 pm

I have seen this white powder new in box guns at the dealers but in much worse condition around the breach .initially thought it due to closeness to sea and humidity.somehow precihole guns rust rather badly may be due to incorrect metal treatment.

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:38 pm

The weather has been very Humid for a few days. But what exactly is causing this? And how to stop it. Cleaning the affected area with alcohol and applying protective gun oil is not working.

Added in 1 minute 22 seconds:
Could it be due to some left over bluing chemicals ?

ganeshn
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ganeshn » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:48 pm

GNV wrote:The weather has been very Humid for a few days. But what exactly is causing this? And how to stop it. Cleaning the affected area with alcohol and applying protective gun oil is not working.

Added in 1 minute 22 seconds:
Could it be due to some left over bluing chemicals ?
looks like the excess alkaline nature of bluing chemicals are not being rinsed enough, but i am flummoxed by the color.the closest i could think was Aluminum oxide but how Aluminum came here?

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:01 pm

Dear GNV,
This kind of deposition I have seen only on car battery's positive pole , no where else.
I am unable to find any more clue.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

main13
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by main13 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:47 pm

GNV Sir I wonder if this is formed by condensation of moisture which washes down some chemicals in the gun then evaporates leaving behind the residue... Seawater condensation??! But how would THAT get into the gun..??! Reminds me of salt coating on seagoing vessels!

Or is it the PU seal reacting with some untreated compound on the gun??!

Try asking Precihole, they might be able to shed light better on something like this...
To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his Gods.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:03 pm

GNV wrote:
When I received the set this powder is there and I cleaned it. It is forming again and again. Everyday after handling the gun I am wiping it with gun oil to prevent rusting and still I am finding this powder formed by the morning. I cleaned it in the morning and it again formed by now 4:00 PM.
Could some one please explain this.
Regards,
GNV

Hello GNV,
The bluing of barrels & receiver are outsourced by PH and in this process the bluing solution used in hot bluing of gun barrels & receivers is a caustic salt mixture of potassium nitrate and sodium hydroxide known as "Traditional Caustic Black." These are alkaline salts that have to be washed off using hot water immersion after the bluing is done.
Hence its a possibility that some of this alkaline salt still adheres to the parts blued, if the washing has not been done properly, thus leaving a white powder like deposit on the parts.
By dismantling the parts and washing them with hot water should rid of this problem.
In fact I spoke to PH about this & they agreed!!!!
Briha