My New Precihole TAURUS SP50 Air Pistol

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

My New Precihole TAURUS SP50 Air Pistol

Post by brihacharan » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:13 pm

My New PRECIHOLE Air Pistol - TAURUS - SP50

After a long wait my PRECIHOLE TAURUS - SP50 Air Pistol in 0.22cal finally arrived.

APPEARANCE
Looks impressive, compact & could compare favorably with well-known international brands.

HOLD & ERGONOMICS
The overall design has taken into consideration, the palm size of an average Indian Shooter and, hence it fits the palm providing a comfortable grip. Its length, weight and dimensions appear to be well distributed & balanced.

TRIGGER
It has approx. a 7lbs pull which is tough on the trigger finger - I hope it reduces a bit after about 500shots. IMHO it could’ve been around 1 ½ kg / 4lbs for a more easy & comfortable release.

COCKING ARM
This provision is undoubtedly very thoughtful, as it provides the leverage to cock the short stroke barrel.

SAFETY
Another practical device, though it’s manual and not automatic.

SIGHTS
The all metal rear sight is welded to the receiver and does not have any adjustment features for ELEVATION or WINDAGE – understandable due to the limited effective range of the AP (15mtrs / 45ft approx.)
The front sight is a well-designed detachable unit made of a high impact polymer which lends an aesthetic look & appeal and aligns well with the rear-sight.

ACCURACY
Being not too familiar with pistol shooting – I began with a two hand hold bench rested and a pillow to steady my aim at the target…..at 15ft I could manage only a 2” + group…maybe with more practice I expect the group to shrink to an inch.

MODIFICATIONS DONE
The only modification I did was to put on a Muzzle Brake, as this would be a permanent feature & relieve me from using the cocking arm on & off each time I need to shoot the AP. With the addition of a “Red Dot” sight that has the advantage of adjusting ELEVATION / WINDAGE it should give me many an hour of pleasurable shooting / plinking!!!

After several trials I managed to get this group using PRECIPEL pellets 15gr– shot from 12ft, two hand hold with the Pistol rested on a pillow.

Personally I feel the Red Dot Sight is a shade too bulky, hence am planning to replace it with a Crossman Red Dot Sight which is sleeker in appearance and blends nicely with the Pistol’s configuration. Am also planning to fix a foresight on to the Muzzle Brake shortly…
BRIHA

For Advertising mail webmaster
Trajeev
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: My New Precihole TAURUS SP50 Air Pistol

Post by Trajeev » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Congratulations Briha Sir (y) for your new Toy. :cheers:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 pm

I have been looking for a reasonably priced air-pistol to practice with, irregularly, at home. However, the non-adjustable rear sight and 7 lbs. trigger pull is a deal breaker.

I have seen Doc make much better, so cannot understand why they are putting out such products.

P.S.: Just checked the Precihole site where they mention that the sights and trigger weight are adjustable.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:36 pm

Neat mods Brihaji :cheers:

@mack, gaining market share while meeting budget restraints of the buyers will be done by products like this only. Given the price it is being offered at, this is a good if not the best option available.
Are you looking at getting an air rifle or air pistol?
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:41 pm

Looking for an air-pistol. 0.177" calibre only.

Did not see the price on Precihole's site. What does it cost?

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:17 pm

I think it is somewhere in the region of 5000 Rs.
I would recommend exploring CO2 or PCP options and staying away from spring powered air pistols. If you cant find any CO2 or PCP that meets your check list, and if you are not keen on spending much then you could look at the precihole air rifles for some plinking in the backyard.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:22 am

5 to 6k is reasonable if the quality is good. I had bought two of their early air-rifles for my sons, so know what to expect. Will call Doc and check about the rear sight and trigger pull.

I have had CO2 (FWB Mod. 2), Single stroke pneumatic (FWB Mod. 103) and PCP (Steyr LP-10) air-pistols in the past. I merely want something to practice with at home occassionally and not something to compete with.

I certainly wouldn't mind one of the classics such as the FWB 65 or FWB 80 in good condition and at a fair price but I have my doubts about finding one that meets both parameters. I can get them in the U.K. but getting them to India is going to be a pain in the backside.

Brihaji, if the trigger blade is narrow, add a trigger shoe to help distribute the weight over a larger area. Even rubber tubing will do to start with.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:37 am

Mack The Knife wrote:5 to 6k is reasonable if the quality is good. I had bought two of their early air-rifles for my sons, so know what to expect. Will call Doc and check about the rear sight and trigger pull.
Brihaji, if the trigger blade is narrow, add a trigger shoe to help distribute the weight over a larger area. Even rubber tubing will do to start with.
Hi Mack,
Just did that....sure feels a lot 'cushier' on the trigger finger :D
Briha

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:46 am

Could you please reconfirm your initial claim of the rear sight and trigger being non-adjustable. The website and exploded diagram suggest otherwise.

Sent Doc a WhatsApp message but haven't heard back from him.

Thanks.

P.S.: 'Cushier on the finger' is something you may wish to avoid. Try something harder, if possible. What you want is a wider trigger blade. I trust you are using the first pad of your finger and not the joint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:54 am

Mack The Knife wrote:Could you please reconfirm your initial claim of the rear sight and trigger being non-adjustable. The website and exploded diagram suggest otherwise.
Sent Doc a WhatsApp message but haven't heard back from him.
Thanks.
P.S.: 'Cushier on the finger' is something you may wish to avoid. Try something harder, if possible. What you want is a wider trigger blade. I trust you are using the first pad of your finger and not the joint.
Hi Mack,
Just spoke to 'Doc' ....
According to him the Rear Sight & Trigger are adjustable!
However due the direct sear engagement of the trigger the chances are it may cause 'auto fire' if the adjustment is not properly done...it has to be done very very carefully....
For the Rear Sight a 2mm Allen Key can enable the adjustment for windage & elevation....for which the slots are provided...I'm yet to try this!
BTW I've ordered a 'Crossman' Rear Sight which is expected in a day or two & I'll replace the Hawke Red Dot Sight with it as it is far more sleeker....As this needs a bit of expertise....Doc has promised to do this for me after his return from Germany by the end of this month.
Re: the 'Cushier' aspect...I've taken your suggestion to insert a broader trigger blade....Yes! I'm using the first pad of my finger!!!
Briha

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:14 pm

Thanks a ton for the reply.

If I buy this air-pistol, the lockwork will need looking at. May even require light stoning of the sears but I need to see it in person first and then decide. Before anyone points out the warranty issue, I am not bothered about voiding the warranty beacuse one of the first things I will do after playing with it for a few days is to strip it apart and do my own cleaning and lubing.

Could you please post a link to this Crosman rear sight. With my eye-sight I require optics but still prefer using 'irons'.

Doc may have a plastic or metal (brass, aluminium or steel) trigger shoe lying around. Do ask him for one when you meet him.

P.S.: Just saw your edited post with the Crosman rear sight pic. Thanks.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:29 pm

Mack The Knife wrote:Thanks a ton for the reply.
If I buy this air-pistol, the lockwork will need looking at. May even require light stoning of the sears but I need to see it in person first and then decide. Before anyone points out the warranty issue, I am not bothered about voiding the warranty beacuse one of the first things I will do after playing with it for a few days is to strip it apart and do my own cleaning and lubing.
Could you please post a link to this Crosman rear sight. With my eye-sight I require optics but still prefer using 'irons'.
Doc may have a plastic or metal (brass, aluminium or steel) trigger shoe lying around. Do ask him for one when you meet him.
P.S.: Just saw your edited post with the Crosman rear sight pic. Thanks.
Hi Mack,
You're always welcome bro....
As I mentioned earlier 'Doc' is off to Germany on the 22nd night & will be back on the 30th Nov 2015.
Suggest that you try calling him again (BTW - he has passed on his 'Hello' to you)....strangely enough there has been a lot of 'Call Drops' in Mumbai of late...network problems!
Doc also has promised to call you ...you may hear from him anytime!!!!!
Briha

Jozul
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Jozul » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:09 pm

Hi briha, cool modifications on the Taurus. Just wanted to know if the pistol has scope rails

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:22 pm

No worries.

He must be busy and that is why I thought it better to send a message rather call.

In the 'old days' one had to call him after 9 p.m. LOL.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:35 pm

Jozul wrote:Hi briha, cool modifications on the Taurus. Just wanted to know if the pistol has scope rails
Unfortunately "No Scope Rail" on Taurus SP50 :roll:
Briha