My New SDB Apache SE

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Re: My New SDB Apache SE

Post by Basu » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:09 pm

Dear ganeshn,

I could not understand what you meant by "good backstop".
Would you please elaborate.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

For Advertising mail webmaster
brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:40 pm

Basu wrote:Dear ganeshn,

Basu
Basu,
I think that "BACK-STOP" referred by GaneshN means a "Back Drop" to stop the pellet from travelling further :D
Briha

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:27 pm

Dear Briha,
Thanks

Basu

Dear Anoop,
It is nice to note that your toy started behaving well.

Enjoy shooting !!

Basu

anoop
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anoop » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:40 pm

Dear Basu and friends, i really enjoyed plinking with Apache today. Its truely a good air rifle. Can anybody suggest which scope is suitable for Apache and where / how to source it ? Thanks Anoop

ganeshn
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ganeshn » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:13 pm

Basu wrote:Dear ganeshn,

Basu
"Backstop" is a mechanical contraption thoughtfully placed with the express intent to safely deaccelerate a pellet to a halt.more often than not a backstop is not a part of neighbours property nor is it placed in one.

"good" is more of a qualifier than an adjective in the current context, though it can be subjective enough to induce bouts of migraine either independently or in conjunction with existing pathology.

Here is what baba B.B.Pelletier has said about them
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2015/06/safe-backstops/

anoop
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anoop » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:52 am

Dear friends, i have shot 500 plus pellets from SDB Apache by now and am all smiles for this AR. It remains smooth and accurate as ever.After replacing front sight which got damaged in transit (replaced by SDB ) this AR has been very accurate . And it is powerful. The pellet penetrates toffee tin box at 50 ft and dents the second side. Recently i scoped it with 4 *20 elementary scope. The grove rails are good and deep. With scope i shot 100 plus shots and scope is intact at its place. And its economical as i use united shot RH which fits well. I have IHP and PRECIHOLE ORION also but feel more comfortable shooting this AR. All in all very satisfing feeling. Anoop

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:37 pm

anoop wrote:Dear friends, i have shot 500 plus pellets from SDB Apache by now and am all smiles for this AR. It remains smooth and accurate as ever.After replacing front sight which got damaged in transit (replaced by SDB ) this AR has been very accurate . And it is powerful. The pellet penetrates toffee tin box at 50 ft and dents the second side. Recently i scoped it with 4 *20 elementary scope. The grove rails are good and deep. With scope i shot 100 plus shots and scope is intact at its place. And its economical as i use united shot RH which fits well. I have IHP and PRECIHOLE ORION also but feel more comfortable shooting this AR. All in all very satisfing feeling. Anoop
Feeling comfortable and having confidence in the gun is very important for good shooting, I think. :)

Dear Anoop,

could you please tell if the SDB Apache SE has synthetic piston seal or leather piston seal ?

Regards,

GNV

anoop
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anoop » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:42 pm

Dear GNV, the manufacturers (SDB) have confirmed by E mail that APACHE has synthetic piston seal. Anoop

GNV
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by GNV » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:04 pm

Thank You, Anoop

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Basu wrote:Dear vsraja,
I wish you follow BD's advice as it does not have any safety.
I normally load the gun by holding the butt under left arm,while my left palm is holding the barrel, so from uncocking ,loading and cocking ,there is no chance of accidental fire.
I understand that Apache is now fitted with synthetic seal.
If you are inexperienced ,I would suggest you to take help from someone who knows it well.
Noticeably , the last shot in your video , did not show much hint of recoil.

Basu
Thankyou Basu sir for your kind advice.Yes you are right,its dangerous to load the pellet after cocking the rifle.Hence now i am loading the pellet before cocking.This ensures me safety and also reducing the time gap from cocking and firing.This saves my spring for long term firing without replacing it.I feel great because of the kindness from the members of this blog.
I also custom made a spring compressor and it works well.With this i can disassemble and reassemble within half an hour or early.This rifle comes with a good quality piston,piston seal,spring and receiver(compression chamber) which was much more better than IHP which i have.The accuracy i am getting from this was so much reliable.I guess this much accuracy is because of its internal quality.
In terms of power i have no words other than ''amazing.
In terms of vibration, i have removed the synthetic seal and replaced with a leather seal.I done this because of vibration and sound while using synthetic seal.Then i added a silicon-rubber washer between spring and piston to reduce some vibration transfer from spring to piston.
I can hit less than half inch targets from 10-15 mtrs.

I also attach the photo of my spring compressor
Last edited by vsraja on Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:05 pm

Big Daddy wrote:Hi Raja,

Nice to know you enjoy this rifle. Just a word of caution; hold the barrel when loading the pellet. its the basic safety in air gunning.

BD
Thankyou for your caution.you are true that it was dangerous to load a pellet after cocking.Hence i am loading the pellets before cocking.This saves me from pottential harm.In this aspect, new airguners must be properly educated before trying their hands on these so called ''toys''.

anoop
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anoop » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:00 pm

Dear vsraja, how is your Apache doing post seal change ? Anoop

vsraja
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vsraja » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:34 am

anoop wrote:Dear vsraja, how is your Apache doing post seal change ? Anoop
Dear friend, after i removed the synthetic seal and replaced with a leather seal it gives less vibration and sound.Also it gives optimum compression with good power and accuracy.I also has an IHP 35 and i done the same for that (replacing synthetic seal with gsmith leather seal).I dont understand why many airgunners praise the synthetic seals.I try to post a video of apache shooting performance(in terms of sound and vibration).
With regards,
vsraja

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:04 pm

Dear vsraja,
Although I do not agree that leather seal helps in reducing vibration and increase accuracy, instead it reduces velocity and affect shot to shot consistency.
Leather seal essentially reduces the swept volume thus piston travel less, resulting in less vibe and also less power.
Leather seal soaks oil and grease. While firing that causes shot to shot inconsistency due to controlled or uncontrolled dieseling.
To reduce buzz/twang/vibe of the spring ,it is always suggested to used sleeves.
I was told that two Coke Can sleeves do reduce buzz/twang/vibe of Apache to maximum extent.
I am very keen to see your videos to get a better understanding.

Basu

anoop
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anoop » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:58 pm

Dear Vsraja and Basu, my Apache is 700 shots old. It makes no extra noise or vibration therefore i am wondering why change the seal. Just a loud thought. Ofcourse Vsraja must be having strong reasons for going in for leather seal . BTW i get little recoil to the extant that even elementary 4-20 scope has so far lasted ( 300 shots). May be we can improve Apache further with leather seal. Do keep us informed. Anoop