planning to buy my first air rifle (bought IHP national 35 .22 fiber stock)

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
keygun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: planning to buy my first air rifle

Post by keygun » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:25 pm

thankyou so much brihaji and basuji for your valuable suggestions and yes brihaji its .22. i have ordered for master shot round head export quality pellets from kovibazaar. i will update after getting it.

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:39 pm

i personnally feel you'll get addicted
regards
dr.jk

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:17 pm

keygun wrote: 1. when i load g.smith pointed and round head pellets, a little bit of skirt projects beyond the breech( about .5-1mm). is it normal or will it harm my rifle. with cheaper marksman shot pellets, it easily goes in and no part of skirt projects out. so i have temporarily stopped shooting with g.smith.
Hi,
The skirt protruding out isnt an ideal way to load a pellet. It will result in the skirts getting damged when you close the barrel.
The solution to this is simple, just apply some force and seat the pellet flush with the barrel. I do this with the tip of my thumb but you could also use some thing like a pointed ball point pen cap to seat it in.
Dont shift to lower quality pellets just for this reason.
Cheers.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

keygun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by keygun » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:47 pm

:agree: i am already addicted dr.jk :D . dear kshitij, i tried to push it with the tip of my thump, but still some part is projecting. :cry:
When you restrict/ban something, it will become inaccessible to the good guys and freely accessible to the bad. Why are you not learning my dear govt?

keygun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by keygun » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:14 pm

Thanks everyone for your valuable advices esp basuji, brihaji, kshitij :cheers: .
i have found out after testing a variety of pellets, including MSRH, that my gun is a bit posh as she likes nothing less than g smith round heads :shock: . I solved the problem of larger skirt size of GSRH with a DIY pellet pusher ( i call it PP :lol: ).
Now about my black beauty after 1 month of use. she is now 1200 shots old. i am not much experienced to review it as it is my first rifle.
>i love the looks and feel.
>it is well built and sturdy as of now.
>i like the black synthetic stock but the butt feels a bit hollow.
>no loose parts or sounds on shaking.
>scope rail, i think is a bit shallow( i haven't tested it with a scope)
>weighs 2.7kg
>cocking is smooth and requires little effort for me
>power is great. (pierces perfume cans on both sides and breaks hard bottles at 30 meters)
>recoil is a bit high, i think
>firing is also a bit loud (not 'twanggg" but "ptishhh")
>now coming to accuracy
In the beginning accuracy was a problem which initially i thought was because of gun breaking in. but when it continued even after 500 shots, it began to bother me. I thought the problem was me as i was into air rifle shooting for less than a month so i tried hard practicing Brihaji's and many others' shooting lessons. and ofcourse it improved, but not as much as i expected. And then, after much testing, i found that the trigger hardness was the problem (it was so hard that after 10 shots my finger becomes sore). i disassembled the trigger and gave the sear a mirror finish and adjusted the angle (i havent done anything on the piston sear as i have no spring compressor to disassemble the piston) after reading Basuji's article. now it is very smooth and yesterday for the first time, i got a not so bad grouping and i am very happy:D :D :D i will post the pics of my PP and targets below. they were shot at 12 yards standing.
2015-08-07 21.14.54.jpg
PP. made it from 3.5mm pin and pushing a flathead pin into its butt ROTFL
2015-07-07 17.43.49.jpg
my first shooting ROTFL marksman shot pointed
2015-07-07 18.27.25.jpg
same day after sight adjustment
2015-07-14 18.04.40.jpg
14/07/15 mastershot round head
2015-07-18 18.15.35.jpg
18/07/15 G SMITH ROUND HEAD 6 shots
2015-07-19 18.18.01.jpg
19/07/15 GSRH 6 shots
2015-08-04 18.14.40.jpg
04/08/15 GSRH 5 SHOTS
2015-08-07 18.00.10.jpg
07/08/15 GSRH 10 shots AFTER TRIGGER ADJUSTMENT

K.G
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When you restrict/ban something, it will become inaccessible to the good guys and freely accessible to the bad. Why are you not learning my dear govt?

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Re: planning to buy my first air rifle (bought IHP national 35 .22 fiber stock)

Post by Basu » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:36 am

Very very pleasing.......the last grouping.....
It seems your gun likes GMRH.......
But the punched holes look like of FH......
If the same mirror finish is given on piston sear interface with 93° angle , the feel and accuracy will be better.
IHP is a nice gun but their quality is not always consistent.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

keygun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by keygun » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:09 pm

thanks basuji. it is g smith high impact pellets. i also felt that GSRH is not exactly RH something in between FH and RH. mastershot RH is a bit more round.
i have a doubt about where to buy tuning kits for ihp (though i am not planning to tune it immediately, but may be after some 5000 shots. also i have to find a good gun smith in trivandrum) as targettune.in is not accessible. the site is showing that domain expired..

Master
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Master » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:28 pm

After my experience of last one year of using NX-100 and IHP 35, I can say that both of them are equally accurate. I am just finding that anti rust property of IHP metal is better than precihole.

nkarun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by nkarun » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:20 pm

Congrats Keygun, i also recently brought IHP 35 0.22cal but wood stock., My question is to Brihada and to Basu sir, that scope rail is 11mm right, but the dove tail slot is not having that much angle to hold the scope mount, is it sufficient to hold a 11mm scope mount?. Regarding pellet can you point some brands which are most suiting to try with IHP 35. I am now using mastershot wadcutter. since am also a new comer am not having that experience to differentiate shots

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:18 pm

Dear nkarun,

There are some shooters used single piece mount for scope on IHP.
My all guns have scope rail welded on receivers, so I did not face any issue.
Hope , Briha can shade more light on this subject.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............