Plinking in South Mumbai Region?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Plinking in South Mumbai Region?

Post by SMJ » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:07 pm

Hi,

This is a question to forum members from South Mumbai (Colaba to Lower Parel/Dadar area). I am still in the process of getting my rifle association membership - however since both my rifles are .22's I cannot use them at the association anyways (this was confirmed by the officer in charge of the association)
I am looking for spots here in South Mumbai where one can plink safetly without any danger to anyone or without being questioned. Would be nice to hear from fellow members who live in South Mumbai who know of such spots or where they practice. I am trying hard to set up something for myself at the race course but this is taking time as well.

For Advertising mail webmaster
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Plinking in South Mumbai Region?

Post by ckkalyan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:05 pm

Excellent Q SMJ!

There is a thread on IFG that discusses this matter - I am too lazy to look it up for you - honestly. :)

I have more questions on the same wave length, but sadly - not many answers!

How does one define that, which is not, for the lack of a better word - 'defined'? :(
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi SMJ,
I am based in New Bombay and would recommend not trying to plink anywhere close to the public areas within mumbai. At best you could utilise space within the house like most mumbai members do or your own front/back yard if you live in a bunglow.
Best option would be to head to a privately owned place just outside the city so that you can plink in peace.
If you dont mind me asking, what guns you do have and whats the range you are looking to plink at?
Last edited by kshitij on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:06 pm

Thanks for the replies gentlemen :)
@Ckkalyanji- nope could not locate any other such posts :( Gotta say though having seen some of your posts (with Mr Baljit and others)- I can only wish we were that lucky to be able to have access to such amazingly vast areas and to be able do what you guys do chief and that too with firearms! (y) (y)
@Kshitij - Alas, I wish I was that lucky to live in bungalow or have a space in my apartment which I could utilize or even in my building complex! I understand that your local shooting range allows you to shoot .22's, is that correct?
I currently own an SX100 orion and an NX100 scorpius plus an IHP pistol (.177) and it would be great to have a range anywhere from at least 15- 50 meters (yeah right :D) to get in some good practice! The last time I managed to shoot my rifles was when I was in Matheran in February so you can imagine how frustrating it is :x I think one of the advantages of living in New Bombay is that unlike South Bombay other than the shooting range, you still have a few open areas where you could plink in peace I suppose

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:33 pm

Nope. No range allows anything other than .177 cal with competition reg power limits. So forget .22s they wont even allow high power .177s :P Atleast as far as i am aware.
No open public spaces in new bombay either where you can go and plink peacefully, even with a perfectly legal air rifle, again to my best knowledge. So you need to have your space or know someone who does.
Only other cure is join a rifle club and shoot club guns at 10m.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:40 pm

Thanks again Kshitij- ok will have to fig or wait for the next Jappalouppe meet lol!

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:40 am

The good old days... One could shoot an air gun any where one felt like it. Like the terrace of your building or the parking lot etc...............

Regards

Atul

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:27 am

I guess building terraces and parking lots are doable with proper safety precautions and permission from the society. Still wouldn't personally recommend it cause even with precautions taken, there are too many factors beyond control like kids in the parking lot etc. A small slip could lead to major repercussions.
But that is just me being paranoid :D One could explore those options.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:01 pm

Hi Kshitij, if I may ask where do you go plinking chief?
Have you got a set up at home or in your yard? Also (if you don't live in a bungalow) did you seek society permission to do so? This is simply to understand if it is required.

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:10 pm

I use my back yard for 10m air pistol practice. Thankfully dont need any society permission to do so :D
For regular plinking, we used to go to a fellow members friends property just outside the city. But now since that land is being taken up for development, we will be without a plinking range soon. Hoping some place else will turn up by then.
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:56 am

I use my drawing / dining room for plinking. It's 5.5 m. And there's the SGNP outside the windows. Of course, I use a proper backstop. Don't want to hit even a pigeon accidentally!

I do some plinking on the terrace, but usually it's either too hot or too wet in Mumbai to carry on for long. I prop the target against a wall (our building has proper brick / cement walls to 5' height - not railings). The wall acts as a backstop, and I use a thick bunch of newspapers to dampen the pellets.

Of course, I don't have the powerful stuff Kshitij has - only a Precihole Nitropiston 0.22, a BSA Model 3 in 0.177, and an IHP side lever in 0.177.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:24 am

Oi SD, my guns are all 12fpe or lesser :D
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:46 am

Plinking for pleasure is the "BANE" of all city dwellers- South, North, East or West :roll:
Especially during the last 10/15 years when like mushrooms 'High-rise' residential buildings have cropped up where once stood playgrounds & parks :oops:
I for one do it indoors - my living room that faces a huge maidan is 25ft long....I put a 2ft square 1/4" thick metal sheet on the balcony grill on which I clip the paper target & let go.
For outdoors as Kshitij mentioned( it was courtesy till last week) - a huge 1000 metre open land!!!!
While target shooting to check one's shooting prowess / accuracy is fine....It's the plinking thats more fun....watching beer cans burst, eggs cracking, colored chalks broken to bits etc......
Briha

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:31 pm

I was under the distinct impression that all of you guys in the western suburbs or New Bombay were still lucky enough to have access to open spaces unlike South Mumbai which only has the racecourse. I cant believe how wrong I was :roll:
Thank you for sharing the stark reality and kudos to all of you for being so creative in setting up a "house range"

@Essdee - very lucky to have SGNP as your backdrop, what a beautiful sight to see outside ones window :) Im sure your also glad to know that in todays times of India camera traps (thankfully not the outdated pug mark method) has revealed around 35 leopards inside or on the periphery of the park - its great news indeed (y)
Also you have an NX100 which I think is a pretty powerful rifle but more importantly it has great accuracy!! As the veterans have pointed out that a target hit with a less powerful rifle counts for far more than one missed with a massively powerful one - a statement I fully agree with (y)
I have just (as of day before) added an IHP 35 in.22 to my arsenal so I can enjoy the best of both AR manufacturers!

@Brihaji - yes sir I was aware that you had a set up at home from some of your posts but always thought that was more because you enjoy it enough to want to also continue practicing at home and always thought that you had an open space to practice shooting cans, bottles etc. I didn't know ALL you guys were sadly, forced to innovate :o
Anyways I hope something along the lines of your friends property turns up for all of you soon!

pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:24 pm

I stay in Bandra-East & do plinking on the terrace with 30 to 35 yards open space with 10 feet cement wall behind. :D
I made a metal trap for paper targets but real fun is in blowing cold drink bottle caps from 30 yards