Airgun import experiences - via personal baggage route

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Jas123
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Airgun import experiences - via personal baggage route

Post by Jas123 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:26 am

AT,

Thanks for you reply and the attached file. If i had this duty exemption notification on me when i was dealing with this, i would have never paid a cent. However you live and learn.

I am however considering, visiting the customs office and finding out the process of getting a refund. Again its not just a matter of principle, but money also. I don't earn money to spend it on being ripped off, specially by the govt.

Thanks again
J

For Advertising mail webmaster
ScoutSniper
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ScoutSniper » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:14 am

tiwariarrun wrote: @ScoutSniper - There is no policy set for import of airsoft guns. The air gun import policy clearly states that any gas, spring guns other than those in .177 cal, are restricted. People get them in their baggage declaring them as toy guns. However, as there is no written document or policy, it solely depends on how would a custom guy deals with it, or how you deal with customs to get it released. Its their own rule. They could just let you pass, or charge duty on it. It could be 40% or even 100%. They could even fine you as its a restricted item as per the policy. Once I got an AK toy from Hongkong. It was one heavy 7kg airsoft full metal gun. They detained it and told me to get a police noc. I got it, and they released it, and also took 40% import duty. Thats how it is.
Thanks a lot!

I guess I'll import something and then we'll take it from there!

I think NRAI membership is not needed for importing airsoft, as it allows duty free import of 0.177 air pistols and rifles(pellet shooting) only.
Only thing they might ask for is the NOC from the cops!

That being said, how hard is it to get a NOC!?
Can it be made at any police station? and I'm guessing the cops have to know the characteristics of the airsoft, I'll be importing, before granting me one!

Sorry for a barrage of questions :oops: , but I was thinking of getting the NOC before I actually import it and it gets stuck! :)

Thanks

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:31 pm

That's the attitude, J. Go for it, and get the money back.
Last edited by tiwariarrun on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScoutSniper
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ScoutSniper » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:37 pm

tiwariarrun wrote:That's the attitude, J. Go for it, and get the money back.

@ScoutSniper, once I was asked for club membership docs for the clearance of my airsoft pistol. Airsoft ain't no pellet or a bb (.177 cal) pistol. However, its an air gun. I am telling you- it depends on how would the examiner look at it. As an airgun, or a toy, or even confused what is it- because nothing in the custom rule book, which is more than a 2000 page book, mentions anywhere about 'airsoft'. They would ask for club membership, or police noc, or may be fine you with 200% duty. You never know. You'd meet them with the police noc, and the would tell you they don't need noc. Get the club docs. Try to understand my point. You can't predict what they would ask you.

If you have a membership, good thing. Order one, and see what they got to say. You won't lose it forever, I can assure you that.
Thanks for the tips and support! :)

I am thinking on NRAI membership, but I think, one needs sponsors for that! :(
DSRA, has no one answering their phones!

Anyways, I'll try getting NRAI membership as well as NOC and then import it!

Thanks again! :)

zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zombie » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:25 pm

tiwariarrun wrote:J,

I totally understand what you mean. You took a decision, and that was absolutely right on your part. I got a cupboard-full of air guns- mostly imported (via air, sea, courier, baggage, even through EMS- which gets cleared via India Post) The procedure remains the same. Its not even about the air guns, I am an importer since almost a decade now.
Hi Arun,

My .22 HW100 is still stuck with customs. Since you are active in this field, kindly let me know whether .22 and .177 are treated similarly or .22 requires additional documentation? I am member of a rifle club and have submitted relevant documents including invoice and membership card. For good measure I have also included a letter from a friend who's a renowned shot along with his certificates. Any tips?

Regards,

Vishal
Guns are not evil. Humans are

Savaj Outdoors channel: www.youtube.com/savajoutdoors

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi Vishal,

A .22 is a .22. As a rifle club member, you can't import any airgun other than .177. There's no special documentation as such to import .22. You can't import .22 air gun as a club member or even as a renowned shot.

Thanks,
AT
Last edited by tiwariarrun on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zombie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:57 am

Dear Arun,

Thank you for your guidance. I actually brought it with me. Will "shipped in error" reason work for that too?

Regards,

Vishal
Guns are not evil. Humans are

Savaj Outdoors channel: www.youtube.com/savajoutdoors

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:02 pm

Vishal, as far as you're ready to pay the duty +fine/penalty, any reason would do. :cheers:

ARAE
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Help Wanted

Post by ARAE » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:16 pm

Mack The Knife wrote:1. Make sure the airline you will be using permits the carriage of guns, even airguns. If possible get this in writing to avoid any hassle at the airport.

2. Get a good qulaity gun case. You saw what happened to Deepak's. If the airline does not specify a guncase, then you could remove stock frm action and pack it in your suitcase.

3. Assuming you land late at night in India, declare the air-rifle at Customs. They will give you a detention receipt for the air-rifle.

4. Go back the next day or whenever it suits you to the airport. A custom's officer will accompany you and the rifle to the Arms Section of the Commissioner of Police's office. Here you would need to get a No Objection Certificate saying that the gun is an air-rifle and does not require a firearm licence.

5. Return to the airport, hand over the NOC, pay the duty and walk out with the air-rifle.

This is how it is done in Bombay. The procedure may wary in other cities, though it should not. Hopefully, if you get a customs officer who can confirm it's an air-rifle then perhaps there would be no need to get the NOC.

Good luck!

Mack The Knife

Dear Mack The Knife

Please guide us as to where can we get the above mentioned NOC from,

Best Regards,

ARAE
ARAE

Kumarnishith
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Kumarnishith » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Regarding Import of Powerful Airguns in India

AFAIK club membership will only help a person to import .177 cal Air Guns..Now, it is not at all impossible to import/buy a .22cal/.25cal Air Force condor etc in India..One can try to carry it in his luggage while returning back from a foreign trip..Custom officials behave oddly.. .22 cal Air Rifle may get confiscated or might be given back after slapping heavy import duties..still in few rare cases If someone is lucky enough then hemight get away with it without paying any duties etc..

But think of it from legal perspective....22 cal Air Force Condor..hmmm.. :wink: c'mon it's a pretty powerful airgun!! It is sure going to fail deal wood test!! Same stands true for other powerful Airguns.. :? As soon as it fails deal wood test it will warrant an arms license! :shock: Are you guys ready for it?? :roll: I am not saying that anybody is going to conduct the deal wood test..But still keeping it in your possession without a valid license will be illegal!! Buying, possessing any such powerful Airguns is almost equal to keeping a firearm without a valid license!! It's sad but it's true!!!

-Nishith

P.S. I can relate with the dream of owning the most powerful airguns, airpistol etc..But since there's a ban on hunting there is very little practical value of owning these powerful Airguns in India. Still if someone wants power without breaking any law, I would suggest that person to buy a powerful crossbow!! These are far far powerful than most of the PCPs and are 100% legal to import!!! :mrgreen:

ShadowFold
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Bringing a BB airsoft gun from U.S to India

Post by ShadowFold » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post, I am planning to buy a KWC 1911 Full metal Blowback pistol. http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/1077-kw ... 18512.aspx is the website. Is it possible to bring it to india from u.s through check-in baggage? If so, Are there any problems?

BTW, I still don't have a gun license yet.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Welcome to IFG. You questions is answered many times in this thread. Please go through them and you will find answer to your question.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

kasimpatel
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by kasimpatel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:30 am

hi
lets put it this way...if one want to bring .22 cal air rifle in personal baggage...and willing to pay the 40 to 100% duty, is he allowed to bring legally..??

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:19 pm

I really dont know how some regular SELLERS manage .22 cal airguns brand new and then sell them here at exorbitant prices-i think its a well organised racket.i see these chaps selling airrifles regularly-perhaps they can help one time importers with some tips.i was lucky to import 2 .177 airrifles abt 2 years back that was through the courier fedex route on my club membership.

Zoo
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Zoo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi all, just returned from Dubai with my new Diana Panther 31 with synthetic stock. Had taken my rifle club card and the notification and was prepared for the worst. Gun was broken into 3 parts, ie stock, barrel and the spring/piston housing.
Now the surprise! Put bags through the x-ray, I saw the pieces on the screen myself but not even a glance from our Men In White!! Walked out happy and free!
Last time, I had to grease a few palms but this time out in 7 minutes.

And now for the headache, can;t the barrel and housing to match to get the pivot bush in, to re-assemble. Any ideas on how to get the holes exactly concentric? Already have a few dings on the gun trying different things.

Any help will be appreciated.