Airgun import experiences - via personal baggage route

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
itsvivekpankaj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Airgun import experiences - via personal baggage route

Post by itsvivekpankaj » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:00 pm

tiwariarrun wrote:There is no mention of any conditions as such- that it has to come via cargo, and not in the baggage. It's written nowhere in the customs rule book. Whatever is the condition, tell them to give it to you in writing- all the things they stated. Its just for minting money. Or file a case on them. Tell them you're going to send them a notice through a lawyer next time.

Also, how could you get the air guns without researching about it. You're at a major fault, my friend.

Do as I said, even their baaps will have to release your gun.
Thanks Arrun for confirming the same. I am trying again to get my airgun out from this custom. Will keep the group updated with the progress or any issue that I may face

For Advertising mail webmaster
itsvivekpankaj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by itsvivekpankaj » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:53 pm

Hello All,
This is regarding my earlier post on my airgun being confisticated at IGI Airport.

As per DGFT Notification, Exim Code - 93040000 - "
Import of 0.177 bore air guns and air pistols will be free for shooters registered with Rifle Clubs or District/State/ National Rifles Association".
In other words, does not fall under restricted items
This notice however did not talk about any custom duty being free for such imports. With this statement, custom is still not allowing me to take away my airgun without paying the import duty

Can anyone please share any other notice mentioning about the custom charges (notice from custom dept) mentioning that the duty is free for such imports
An attachment/copy of such letter issued will be highly appreciated!

My apologies, if I am missing any important point here

Thanks again,
Vivek

Ponen Wati Longchar
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Ponen Wati Longchar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi all,
Been lurking a long time in the shadows before joining this forum, Will be heading home for good from Wales this summer and am planning to bring over a .22 air rifle and co2 .177 p226 pistol. Also might be carrying my airsoft kit. Customs might get pricey but that's what summer jobs are for lol. Just wanna say thanks to all that have posted valuable information on importing air rifles, previous years when I never thought of taking air rifles home because I thought it was not possible-woe is I, should have joined this forum sooner :). Anyway keep posting your insights and experiences, every bit of info helps.
Cheers
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Napoleon Bonaparte

itsvivekpankaj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by itsvivekpankaj » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:42 am

itsvivekpankaj wrote:Hello All,
This is regarding my earlier post on my airgun being confisticated at IGI Airport.

As per DGFT Notification, Exim Code - 93040000 - "
Import of 0.177 bore air guns and air pistols will be free for shooters registered with Rifle Clubs or District/State/ National Rifles Association".
In other words, does not fall under restricted items
This notice however did not talk about any custom duty being free for such imports. With this statement, custom is still not allowing me to take away my airgun without paying the import duty

Can anyone please share any other notice mentioning about the custom charges (notice from custom dept) mentioning that the duty is free for such imports
An attachment/copy of such letter issued will be highly appreciated!

My apologies, if I am missing any important point here

Thanks again,
Vivek
Below are the comments that I got on the Grievance I filled sometime back regarding my Airgun confiscation at the IGI Airport. Very Disappointing .... :cry:
The customs duty on Air Gun/ Air Rifle/Air Pistol of 0.177 caliber is leviable as per the Baggage Rate ie @ 100% + edu Cess @ 3% on the duty amount, since the same can neither be cleared duty free under free allowance under Baggage Rules nor at concessional rate of duty of 35% adv. under Notification No. 136/90-Cus. dated 20.03.1990, since fire arm is not covered under both the provisions. Further, This office in the past, has been allowing only one Air Gun/Air Pistol of permissible bore to the eligible passenger, or his authorised representative (as per section 146A in the Customs Act. 1962) under Baggage Rules on payment of 100% adv. + edu Cess @ 3% duty i.e baggage Rate of duty. Further, the goods can be released to the passenger after (1) after verification of document evidencing his eligibility for rifle (2) payment of duty (3) on payment of warehousing charges. Please note that in addition to the Customs duty collected by the Customs as mentioned above; the custodian of the wa ...
Any help!!! ?

zombie
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by zombie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:25 pm

Hey buddy, kindly post the entire reply. I am no legal eagle, but they are classifying it as a fire arm, which is complete non-sense.

I am going through similar issue with my Weihrauch HW100 in .22. I am supposed to visit them tomorrow. Let me see what turns out.
Guns are not evil. Humans are

Savaj Outdoors channel: www.youtube.com/savajoutdoors

itsvivekpankaj
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by itsvivekpankaj » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:35 am

Hi,
In the Grievance status, this is the only message that I got in reply. Seems the rest got truncated.
I have filled another Grievance asking for the clarification as why airguns are classified under 'firearms'. Will let the group posted on the status
zombie wrote:Hey buddy, kindly post the entire reply. I am no legal eagle, but they are classifying it as a fire arm, which is complete non-sense.

I am going through similar issue with my Weihrauch HW100 in .22. I am supposed to visit them tomorrow. Let me see what turns out.

karanvir
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by karanvir » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:07 pm

zombie wrote:Hey buddy, kindly post the entire reply. I am no legal eagle, but they are classifying it as a fire arm, which is complete non-sense.

Hi! Have you had any luck with getting the HW100 .22 released? I have an AA .22 detained at IGI Airport and am working to get it released.

Jas123
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Jas123 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:57 pm

Hi guys,

My name is Jasjiv, and i am from New Delhi and am new here. Have been a member for a while and have been visiting the forum off and on, but posting for the first time.. i think.

Anyways i bought a Benjamin marauder from the US and carried it as part of my hand baggage. Was stopped at the Delhi airport and asked to produce the documents, which i did - Invoice, Membership card of the Delhi Rifle association and a Letter stating that i am a member of the Rifle Association.

The documents were satisfactory to the customs, and said i was entitled to import the air gun, however i would have to pay 100% duty on the same. When i showed them the DGFT notification, allowing .177 to be imported "freely", they said "Freely means" its a restricted item but you as a member of a rifle association and import it freely. It does not mean free from duty.

I told him that if this rifle was imported via UPS or Fedex, then i would not have paid any duty as many have done so in the past. To which he agreed and said yes that is possible under cargo / courier but not under hand baggage. As this is hand baggage, it falls under a diff notification. I told him he is wrong, and how can there be 2 rules for the same product being imported in the same country, just diff shipping method, to which he said - that is what the rule is.

I left my rifle with him in detention, and came out of the airport to do further research. On talking to other shooters and seeing past posts in this forum, i found out that 100% will be charged if bringing the gun via personal baggage. I was convinced that the law was being interpreted by the IGI customs as per their convenience. Anyways i figured i could fight and file appeals, but that would take weeks and months. So i went and paid the duty the next day and got the gun released. All took a total of 2 hours.

So for future imports only use UPS or other courier companies. You will pay shipping, however no duty.

J

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:02 pm

Jasjiv,

That was unfortunate. Why not file an RTI about it? Just a thought. Congratulations on your new air rifle.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:32 pm

Dear Jasjiv,
You could still claim the refund. Anyway, that's your call. Also, it's not just about the money, but doing whats right.

Cheers,
AT
Last edited by tiwariarrun on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jas123
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Jas123 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks Vikram..

AT - You are correction, its about what is right and wrong. However, as mentioned, this correction of interpretation, which could swing either ways, would require a few weeks of appeals, RTI, applications, visits etc etc, which is something i was not willing to do. However, i am unaware of the "Other Notification", would request you to please share a link for that here, so i can evaluate my situation.

Thanks
J

ScoutSniper
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ScoutSniper » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:21 pm

I got an air-soft gun through personal baggage route. The departure airport scanned the shipment and I showed them the bill and everything and they cleared it and sent it for loading onto the cargo bay of the plane!

It arrived safe at the destination with me

The customs slip(Attached to the immigration form) clearly stated that I could carry 25k INR worth of stuff with me, if traveling from anywhere except from Hong Kong or China(from where, I could carry upto 6kINR worth of stuff) without paying duty!

Edit - Removed some blabber! lol :oops:
Last edited by ScoutSniper on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

predator96
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by predator96 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:12 pm

ScoutSniper which gun were you carrying ,cause I've heard only pistols can be imported without getting siezed, though I might be wrong.Also If your airsoft is more than 25k then would you how much import duty has to be paid.Thanks

ScoutSniper
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by ScoutSniper » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:50 pm

predator96 wrote:ScoutSniper which gun were you carrying ,cause I've heard only pistols can be imported without getting siezed, though I might be wrong.Also If your airsoft is more than 25k then would you how much import duty has to be paid.Thanks
I think ppl have the impression that pistols can be imported as they can be easily kept in the luggage and there's no need for it to be carried separately as the box is usually small and can get lost!! So the cust. ppl might not notice as you didn't bring anything extra!

The airsoft that I got with me was too big to be carried inside the luggage. So, I got the box wrapped thoroughly at the departure airport, for which they charged equivalent of 400INR and then it went for security check!

From what I've read, the duty is ~36% or so (I'm not sure :?: )

I really want to know what all documents we are supposed to have to formally import an airsoft without cust. ppl creating any more hassles for us!! :|

@Tiwariarun

Is there an official document(likea universal NOC) stating that importing airsoft is ok, which we can show to cust. ppl just in case they question the importing of it.

tiwariarrun
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by tiwariarrun » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:34 pm

J,

There's no need to file any RTI, or anything. Its a straight forward rule. You missed to attach the document, the babus knew it was the best chance to bill you for nothing.
Last edited by tiwariarrun on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.