Best brand of lubricant for rifle

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Best brand of lubricant for rifle

Post by estousandy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:06 pm

This is an excellent lube, or said to be the best for rubber parts. It is re-packaged Noleen SF-3 fork seal grease & is mostly used for shock building is RC cars. It'll not eat into o-rings or seals & stays on for a long long time. Got it for 3 bucks off ebay.

Btw, this is the real deal.

http://shop.noleenj6.com/product.sc?pro ... egoryId=13
with guns we are citizens, without we are subjects

For Advertising mail webmaster
mercury
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by mercury » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:10 pm

brilliant...

i use an 'O' ring o my BSA.. Many questions on the advantages of O rings. WILL START A DIFFERENT THREAD ON THIS.

i prefer them. yes a snappier short cycle..BUT if one understands the O ring principle.....no , NO.. variation of FPS.....single digit only.

there is also a graphite grease / paste on sale which sounds great.

3 bucks ????? give me a address !
Throw me to the wolves....I will return leading the pack.

mercury
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by mercury » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:10 am

estousandy....lets try and organize a group buy an all these variants of lube. Sure we all pool in money for it !!

The thing is lets get to gather with what ever lubes we can get ...AND ARE AIRGUN SPECIFIC.....Molly , Graphite , Mollykote for O rings , Locktie etc.

Lets try and meet up in Bangalore....our good DOC .B .should have a chrony soon.

The purpose is not to diesel or detonate....we are looking at an ideal CONTROLLED DIESELING ...which may loose a bit of FPS NOT accuracy and keeps the internals safe for generations !!!!!!!! Lets try it guys.

O yes I did try the Precihole molly.....GREAT.....percentages of molly depend on the speed of the piston. Trust me on a 12 ft lb gun 60% ....NO DIESELING...unless one has slapped it on.

Just a thought...........................

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:40 pm

The catch word is " controlled dieseling "......not "no dieseling"

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

estousandy
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by estousandy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:58 pm

Mercury, the idea is good & the items of interest can be easily sourced, either direct import or through a freight forwarder like Aramex SNS in case international shipping is not available. With some invoice adjustments, much can be saved.

For AR lubing, all we need are Moly, Tar & a Safe silicone lube. Absolutely no other lubes are needed for smooth internal working & controlled dieseling. JM moly has a petroleum base in it as per ARH, so that should give the 'necessary' dieseling. It's still safe & recommended for the seal though. Something like the locally available ballistol can take care of the externals.

Both moly & tar can be ordered in bulk from ARH, and the Green slime(silicone grease) too can be imported in quantities. I guess JM makes the best moly mix.

Same with loctite if order a bunch. Fevifit works good enough for me but i'ld like checkout the real thing. They got an Indian site but i'm yet to see those in any shops here, big & small.

That said, even the tiny packs these come in will last for many years. As long as i'm working only on my own guns, to me there's zero need for any of these at the moment & well beyond.
Last edited by estousandy on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
with guns we are citizens, without we are subjects

mercury
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by mercury » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:25 pm

Brilliant...

But we need to try the Molly Powder 98% and the Graphite. Expensive ..yes... but as I mention a group buy, Lets try all we can find besides then listed ones. It will be a great day.

We need to get Dr, B on this Doc . we need you an the Chrony. HELP.

mercury
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by mercury » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:47 pm

Ah My Kl friend.....ends Moll,,,..... politics my fried is for looser, I am an idle .dosa eating. Tamil .

Enjoy.

broadway
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by broadway » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:21 pm

Molly molly molly...

Resurrecting an old thread here

Like many, I too have been out(sometimes the whole day) looking for required lubes. I visited every gun store in mumbai and couldn't find supermoly from precihole. In the end, I went to the busy market where they sell all sort of greases. You just tellthem the generic name(molybdenum disulfide aka mos2) and they'll open up a register and give you a name and quote. I've found a few - dm50 1kg from mosil about rs1900 sold by the famous ghanshyam store. Store no 186, nagdevi street sells rabakote 50 1kg jar for 1650. The sticker says it is based on moly and some other solids and claims to sustain upto 1100 Celsius. None of these mention the actual percentage of mos2.

Shelf life on these are 5 years. I don't think I can use 1kg moly in 5 years so I'm again looking for preciholes supermoly.
---------

Silicone lube for synthetic piston seal is nothing but fuser lube used in printers. A small 5-10gm container sells for rs20-30 at modi street(printer market).

---------

Still searching for tar for springs. Most garage store counter guys and employees don't even know what lithium grease is. They distinguish greases on the basis of brand(hp) and price. Asking for moly or tar simply confuses them and results in an awkward moment of silence. Aonyone from mumbai, please guide me a store for supermoly and tar.

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:08 pm

broadway wrote:till searching for tar for springs. Most garage store counter guys and employees don't even know what lithium grease is. They distinguish greases on the basis of brand(hp) and price. Asking for moly or tar simply confuses them and results in an awkward moment of silence. Aonyone from mumbai, please guide me a store for supermoly and tar.
Try axle grease, gear grease or even grease used to lubricate bike chain or cycle chain sprocket as they do good job of dampening spring vibration. You can also use red rubber grease used for hydraulic brakes, clutches, shock absorbers, thats what is used nowadays in Uk for spring piston rifles
Moulindu

broadway
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by broadway » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:07 pm

Last night a store guy I spoke to asked the reason for the grease and I said it was to suppress noise(from the spring) and he quickly replied "use old grease", the same ones used to suppress noise in shop shutters.

After looking into it a bit further, I finally decided to use a beer tin can foil(locks inside the piston, loose hugging the spring) with regular lithium grease.