Hmmm... now what do we have here...

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:31 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="25524 wrote:Dev,

Both parties are currently using a pump.

Asif has already handled the S400 Carbine. However, I very doubt either will be around when he and Sanjay arrive - one week to go. ;)

Mack The Knife

Thash sad but my jealousy level has now come down. :lol:

dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

For Advertising mail webmaster
dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:37 pm

[
You remember my Marlin 336 30-30 that I sold ?
And the Winchester 94 Trapper 30-30 that replaced it ? ( Which I`ve just sold ? )
Hopefully what`s coming next is..........................................?
I`ll know tomorrow whether I`ve got it or not.
If I have got it the price will make you cry !
[/quote]

You sold the Marlin? winchester i can understand.

dev

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Hmmm... now what do we have here...

Post by Grumpy » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:33 pm

The Marlins are better than the Winchesters Dev as you ssem to be aware - the blueing is deeper and more lustrous, the actions cycle more smoothly and the side eject is MUCH better - however I wanted a short barrelled Trapper and couldn`t find one. With the 22" barrel the Marlin was superfluous and I sold it. Then I found a Winchester Trapper with a 16" barrel. Neat little rifle but the accuracy wasn`t as good and the top eject - even though it was an angle eject model - was not nice - the ejected shells hitting the edge of the scope tube every time. So I sold that as well !

sushila81
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by sushila81 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:19 pm

Respected Bana Sir,

I wanna buy a Weihrauch on your recommendation. One lady from our locality will be returning form London in 12-15 days and she had agreed to bring along with her the HW.
So please help me regarding this as i am (and also she is ) a first timer in bringing gun like this.
My limitations are:
1. The cost should be 15,000/ Rs and at the most Rs 20,000/ all inclusive
2. The HW should be karbine version break barrel
3. It should be accurate and long range
4. It should be a .177
5. probably scope fittable

Please help in the following matters
1. which HW .177 should i buy ?
2. suppose it costs RS. 10,000/- in london what will be the landing price for it after adding all taxes and duties?
3. could the duties saved if it is declared as a gift or shown as personal article or by any other way?
4. what documents will be required for smooth passing through the customs and inspection
5. i dont have a membership of any rifle club could i still bring it?
6. could i have your mobile no?

Thanks
please reply as quickly as possible
i am from maharashtra (but not bombay)

i have also pm ed you (you can see how desparate i am)
Last edited by sushila81 on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:37 am

I was as desperate as you are today and ofcourse our good ol' Bana Sir came to my rescue too... and I landed up with a HW-77K.
Earlier, my desperation led me to even think of running off with Abhijeet's AirArms TX200 when he got it from the UK ! :mrgreen:
This is very very disturbing, addictive and deeply passionate hobby...where the heart sometimes overworks the brain too... :evil:

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:11 pm

Grumpy";p="25592 wrote:The Marlins are better than the Winchesters Dev as you ssem to be aware - the blueing is deeper and more lustrous, the actions cycle more smoothly and the side eject is MUCH better - however I wanted a short barrelled Trapper and couldn`t find one. With the 22" barrel the Marlin was superfluous and I sold it. Then I found a Winchester Trapper with a 16" barrel. Neat little rifle but the accuracy wasn`t as good and the top eject - even though it was an angle eject model - was not nice - the ejected shells hitting the edge of the scope tube every time. So I sold that as well !

Hi Grumpy,

I keep dreaming of a 30.30 marlin, there was a 45.70 lying in a gun shop.
Became not for sale moment I mentioned you could import ammo.
I almost went crazy after racking the lever once.
But I guess till then I just have my .22 to play with.

Dev

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:10 pm

sushila81, I expect Mack The Knife has been in touch with you by now but I can see one major problem - the best price on a new HW77K in the UK is around £255 which is c. INR 21,000 at the current rate of exchange.

Dev, there IS something about a lever action - I seem to remember Mack The Knife saying that he hankered after one as well - and the Marlin 336 is definitely the best around. The Marlin 1894 by the way isn`t the same rifle and has top ejection.
I`m not a .45/70 Gov fan - it is, in my opinion, extremely over-rated, especially it`s oft vaunted ability as a brush cutter at which it is no better than average......and that`s being generous. It`s not very powerful for calibre, has a very low BC and SD and is limited to being a short-range woods calibre........which means that it has virtually no application in the UK. If I could get hold of some of Hornadys 325 gr LEVERevolution ammo I might change my mind somewhat though.
I`m really looking forward to trying the 160 gr LEVERevolution 30-30 which has dramatically improved the old cartridges longer range ability.......although, disappointingly, I received a notice the other day saying that Hornany were no longer able to source supplies of the powder that they`d used to develope the 30-30 LEVERevolution and had had to substitute another with less impressive ballistic capabilities. The cartridge still out-performs all other 30-30 though. Hopefully they will be able to work up a similar load with another powder.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:22 pm

Actually for our shooting the 39A would be the most suited . 22, I used a winchester .22 once and even though it was a winchester I loved the fast handling of the lever action. I have only held the 45.70 and never fired around off it.

I just know that its an old buffalo shooting cartridge and probably good to scare people off with the cigar size rounds, must feel good to shoot one. One chappie had a 30 .30 maylin 336 in my home town, the guy once used it to shoot some grouse with it in the old days when it was legit. He knocked their heads off. Seemed like a stupidly accurate caliber or rifle. ;-)

Dev

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:32 pm

Neither the Rifle.....or especially the calibre ( 30-30 ) are exceptionally accurate.
The `Buffalo` calibre was the black powder predecessor of the 45-70 Govt. 45-70 cartridges DO look big........but only until you put a really big bruiser next to one. Nowadays you can get Marlins chambered for the .444 Marlin and .450 Marlin ..... both of which make the 45-70 Govt look pretty puny - particularly the .450 Marlin. Something like a .500 NE makes all three look quite small however !
I should have mentioned earlier that Browning used to make the BLR lever action that was strong enough to be chambered for conventional centrefire cartridges such as the the 30-06 and 7mm Rem mag. A very good rifle.........except that it`s ugly ( IMO. )
I`ve never shot a 39A .22LR. I have tried a Winchester 9422 which is a cute little rifle with OK but not brilliant accuracy. The Marlin 39A and the Henry are supposed to be better but the most accurate of the .22 lr lever actions is the Miroku. No longer made and therefore quite inexpensive - usually about the £100-120 mark in the UK. A bargain for the best of the lever action .22s.
I`m perioducally tempted to get a Henry Varmint Express .17 HMR - the only thing that stops me is that I`ve never seen a review of the rifle so don`t know how accurate it is.........and I somehow doubt that it will shoot 200 yard 2" groups like my CZ 452-2E ZKM Varmint did.........although I doubt that all the CZ 452 Varmints shoot as accurately as that one.
If you want a real powerhouse lever action then get Doug Turnbull to build you an 1886 Big Bore in .50-110 AE or the even more powerful .50 Alaskan.
Turnbulls work is sheer class:
http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/bigboreclassic.htm
Doug Turnbull colour case hardening is still the best I`ve ever seen:
http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/outp ... tail1.html - check out all seven pictures.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:33 pm

Ughh Tonto like turnbull thunderstick, if only I could make kemosabe stop wasting silver on bullets ;-). One or two of the rifles almost seem affordable but then we can only dream about owning one, unless one runs to the abraaaaad. The CZ American would be the only other.22 that i would have on my wish list. Thanks for the fabulous eye candy and the infro.

Dev

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:52 am

I discovered earlier that the BLR is back in production which is good news........and it looks better than it used to as well.
Sorry about usurping this air rifle thread Dodger...........Air guns to lever actions is quite a change !