Should we import any scope for air rifle ?

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
broadway
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Should we import any scope for air rifle ?

Post by broadway » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:58 pm

basu,the scope is mounted on agni 500. It has a fibre/plastic 11mm rail. The scope mount is also chewing and eating on the rail. There is also a plastic cap at the back of the compression chamber which acts as a scope stop. Both the supplied scope stop and rail are unreliable. I'll fit the new metal rail when it arrives and use araldite on the rail for scope stop as you suggested.

meanwhile, I received my laser diodes last week. They are 6.1mm in diameter. I used a 6mm drill bit and drilled a hole in a 9mm teak piece. Poured some oil and slid a diode in a tight fit. Calibration was easy. Broke the barrel(not cocked) and glued the wood piece(containing the diode) using hot glue gun on the barrel(just above the breech hole). Aimed barrel at wall 15mtr away and peeked through breech to spot the laser dot. Used a heat air gun to help move the wood piece for calibration and done. At 6 feet target(in door), the barrel sight and the laser dot separate by 1.5 inches. The unit is permanently hard glued on the barrel and the chances of loosing zero is very little.

Currently, the laser dot is more reliable than the scope. Just as I was testing the laser dot, in came a tom cat strolling through my house. It took me about 10 secs, to load and fire(reflex is now as quick as a shotgun) on his butt. In his typical cat fashion, he did a back somersault as soon as the pellet slapped his behind (y) and ran like hell out of my property

For Advertising mail webmaster
Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:13 am

I am attaching the pic.of scope rail of my SDB45 Classic.
I have used M-seal at the back of the rail to stop any movement of the scope whatsoever.

Basu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all those wander , are lost...............

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:25 am

Basu wrote:I am attaching the pic.of scope rail of my SDB45 Classic.
I have used M-seal at the back of the rail to stop any movement of the scope whatsoever.

Basu
Basu sir is this M-seal stop sturdy & waterproof to withstand some rough field usage? I intend to weld a piece of rectangular metal behind the dovetail on my gun.. but that would require running to & fro between welders & painters of old city... If this M-seal bandobast is sturdy enough, I'll use it too perhaps!

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:50 am

If the surface is too plain or Smooth , then M-seal may not hold it well.
There you need to make some pitting/punching/roughening so that M-seal can hold it well.
You need to apply M-seal after the scope it fixed onto the rail.
Let it cure for a day , then you can file off the block to required shape.
Use permanent marker to give a black finish.
As I learn from various sources , even Araldite also come off after few months.
I am of the opinion that a synthetic rail has all probability to shrinkage, so holding same position till eternity , is not assured.

Basu

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:09 pm

Thanks for the useful hack sir. Looks like a handy jugad.

broadway
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by broadway » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:15 am

Received the metal base rail today. Took 21 days from china to mumbai. I earlier suspected that it maybe made of aluminium but it is confirmed solid metal piece. Used ordinary machine oil for cooling and drilled two holes. Couldn't drill the third hole because the edge would have been 0.5mm from it. I have come to the conclusion that it is more harder to find compatible machine screws than rifles parts and accessories. I have no idea what standard these threads are and I can't take the rifle from hardware store to hardware store to find the screws.

The mount rail was 12mm(in my opinion) which made mounting the 11mm scope an ordeal. The rail is metal and has a nice black finish so i used the file on the scope aluminium mount. With a dozen taps and oiling, the scope was mounted. Result is an extremely tight fit.

I modified the laser sight also. I used an old pcb strip and screwed it in place of the windage module. There are two screws. I taped a strip each of double sided underneath tape the pcb strip. Result is a seesaw type module which lets me adjust the dot drop(up or down) by turning the front and back screws. I earlier thought about using a pen spring under the pcb strip but im glad I didn't. The double sided tape is a dense sticky foam that maintains its form in pressure. Since the new laser module strip is placed just 15mm from the barrel(point to point), I can see the dot through the breech at 8mtrs as well as 50mtrs.

Testing through the laser dot has revealed a lot. It appears that different pellets have their own point of groupings. Now with the barrel aimed at the bullseye, my pointed pellets(7 grain) form a grouping 10mm east /10mm south from the point. My dome pellets(8 grain) hit 5mm west, no drop. I have marked my pellet boxes with a drawing showing their estimated point of impact for future references.

Currently, I'm using the laser dot as the primary while scope is used to spot and hold the laser dot on small targets beyond 20 mtrs.

I'll post some photos later.

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:19 pm

Ballistic performance of different ammunitions will be different as expected. Given different pellet weights, shapes, rifling engagement & powers at muzzle, the trajectories will obviously be different. In fact you may get different poi with same pellets belonging to different batches.

My guess is that your 7gr pointeds going right & low must be engaging rifling better or flying out tad slower than your 8gr domes which might be doing the opposite. This is assuming your gun has a right-hand twist. The more the pellet flies the more it drifts. At 50m+, it can even exceed .5" at times. A chrony should spill the beans...

Personally I'm very keen to hear about the performance of the scope. How it is holding the zero, scope creep etc...

broadway
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by broadway » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Posting some photos taken on my phone

Scope 4x20 bought from here
aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-Telescopic-Scope-Sights-Air-Riflescope-4x20-Riflescopes-Hunting-for-22-Caliber-Rifles-and-Airsoft/1076774419.html

11mm solid metal rail bought from here
aliexpress.com/item/Steel-11mm-Round-Bottom-Dovetail-Rail-Base-Airgun-Rifle-Laser-Sight-Scope-Accessories-Base-for-Outdoor/32679394495.html

14mm OD 9mm ID o ring breech seal bought from here
aliexpress.com/item/14mm-x-2-5mm-Silicone-O-Ring-Oil-Sealing-Washers-Grommets-Red-10-Pcs/32241060187.html

10x laser diodes bought from here
aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-10P-5V-650nm-5mW-Laser-Red-Dot-Module-red-laser-sight-red-laser-diode/32354307065.html

Added in 21 minutes 49 seconds:
Base rail envelope
P60929-162918.jpg
Rail drilled and placed in front of the back cap
P61002-134820.jpg
P61002-134845.jpg
P61002-134954.jpg
P61002-135043.jpg
P61002-135155.jpg
P61002-135217.jpg
Rear windage sight module removed. Screwed a strip of pcb instead.
P61002-135415.jpg
The laser diode 6.2mm. Drilled a 6.5mm hole in wood piece and pushed the diode through into a snug fit.
P61002-135532.jpg
P61002-140039.jpg
Front sight removed from muzzle reveals two screw holes. One goes right through the barrel and leaks air so used tape over it
P61002-140208.jpg
Breech seal. Word of advise - never buy silicone o rings. While they perform better than ordinary black rubber o rings, the silicone ones disintegrate from friction. Also seat the o ring 65-70% inside. 30% is enough to make a good seal. Anything more will cause barrel droop or even worse, like part of the orange rubber sticking out from the sides like smashed scrotum :cry:
P61002-151254.jpg
P61002-151316.jpg
P61002-152030.jpg
btw, the ak mod 500 has zero barrel droop because of the screw mechanism inside that keeps the barrel stiff and straight against the compression tube

Laser diodes. Very delicate. Destroyed the first two from soldering. Needs atleast 4 volts to produce good dot so CR2032 won't work(only 3.3v). Need rechargeable LIR2032 which can produce 4.2v at full charge
P61002-152513.jpg
Added in 13 minutes 22 seconds:
nitroex700 wrote:Personally I'm very keen to hear about the performance of the scope. How it is holding the zero, scope creep etc...
It seems to be holding zero now.

The first day I installed the new rail and scope. Calibrated cross hair with laser dot and kept it aside for the night. Next day, the crosshair moved, probably because it started settling down in the night. Calibrated dot and crosshair again and now the zero holds. Still I expect it to settle down some more in the next weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:04 pm

broadway wrote: It seems to be holding zero now.

The first day I installed the new rail and scope. Calibrated cross hair with laser dot and kept it aside for the night. Next day, the crosshair moved, probably because it started settling down in the night. Calibrated dot and crosshair again and now the zero holds. Still I expect it to settle down some more in the next weeks.
How many shots have fired so far with the scope installed?

broadway
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by broadway » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:50 pm

Close to a 100

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:07 pm

Nice. All the bits & bobs in place? Pls let me know how it holds after 100 more.. looks like good value for 5$ worth!

What is the construction like? I sincerely hope it doesn't contain plastic..

vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:00 am

I got my scope imported from China (Ali Express). Took almost a month to get it delivered from the day of order placement.

Got a Gamo 3-12X50 for my SDB Artemis.

More pictures of scope viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24614&p=244298#p244298

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:29 am

Dear Vidya,
The AR looks great with beautiful Gamo scope.
I prefer lighter scopes most as it does not strain my hands.
Hope Artemis will come under real test of accuracy at 50-60 yds now.
I am very keen to know that which pellet does best at long range.

Basu

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:47 pm

Looks good this rifle, the stock with matte finish would have had more sensual feel, btw is it RH or ambi

vidhya007
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vidhya007 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:59 pm

Basu wrote:Dear Vidya,
The AR looks great with beautiful Gamo scope.
I prefer lighter scopes most as it does not strain my hands.
Hope Artemis will come under real test of accuracy at 50-60 yds now.
I am very keen to know that which pellet does best at long range.

Basu
I now know what you mean by strain on hands :-)

After the scope addition, AR has become slightly heavy. Spent some time trying to zero the scope..

Will update you further on it's accuracy after testing it with multiple pellets.

Added in 3 minutes 27 seconds:
moulindu wrote:Looks good this rifle, the stock with matte finish would have had more sensual feel, btw is it RH or ambi
Dear Moulindu, I guess you quoted me... AR is RH (not ambi)..I actually tried to to get dark brown stock. But they didn't have it in stock. I asked 'united arms' to swap 0.22 artemis brown stock to this one. They said yes but were reluctant about the stock swapping becuase of compatibility (may be) issues. So I took it in this color itself. Now I'm thinking of changing the color of stock to something else by repainting / varnish (I don't know, need to check youtube videos to see suitable solution)..