5.5 mm and 5.6 mm pellets Comparison

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

5.5 mm and 5.6 mm pellets Comparison

Post by snIPer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:12 pm

It seems that the pellets by most of the good brands like Gsmith come only in 5.5mm which fit fine for a Diana and other such brands.

Most of the Master shot and Marshall shot (not available now i think) are in 5.6 and the sales chaps say that they will fire fine in a 5.5. (they seem to be loose in a 5.5 barrel)

If I am not mistaken it seems that the 5.5 pellet is slightly larger than the 5.6 pellet - how this is so I do not know cos it seems that according to basic math calculation a 5.6 should be bigger - or at least so i'm, told.

Can anyone shed some light on this please.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: 5.5 mm and 5.6 mm pellets Comparison

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:54 pm

I really don't know about Gsmith. But normally I've seen pellets in 4.4, 4.5 and 4.6 mm and normally if you are a gunshop, you could try all these to see which gives the bet fit given a barrel of a gun.

As i understand, even in the best brands, each barrel is different (in a slight manner) and a 0.1 mm, error is easily possible in machining/rifling the barrel. And sometimes just changing from to 4.4 or 4.6 mm pellets gives better accuracy.

So you try which fits the barrel best, gives the required velocity given the weight and you choose that.

And the fact is a 5.6 mm pellet is definately larger than a 5.5 mm pellet.

And I got some Master shot and they always mention 0.22 on that never noticed the 5.5 or 5.6 mm on that..I'll take a closer look.

Cheers
Ranjeet Singh
------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:37 pm

oh I never knew that pellets for 1.77 are available on 4.4 and 4.6 at least i havent come across any I will look around.

well reg the 5.5 and 5.6 the best test would be to use or compare a pellet of of gsmith 5.5 and a master shot of 5.6 you can immediately tell the difference in size. The 5.6 just glides in and the 5.5 has a nice tight fit.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.