HW 97 Or AA TX200HC

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

HW 97 Or AA TX200HC

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:14 pm

Vikram , Mack The Knife, Abhijeet

I guess you guys are fortunate enough to try both of these.. How do they fare when comapred on a) Build quality b) Accuracy - this should be same.
c) Price point. Or any other criteria , weight, feel you guys wanna add...

As for myself, i've never seen a AA, let alone try it

Ranjeet
------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:15 pm

Hi Ranjeet,

I have only tried the HW77 & AA Tx200HC. You are right in terms of build quality both are right up there! While I personally could not spot any difference in accuracy between the Venom tuned HW77 (Vikram's), many reviewers rate the AA Tx200 as the most accurate (right out of the box) spring piston gun out there. The AA Tx200HC and AA ProSport come close but the full length version is supposed to be a tad better and more powerful.

The HW77 is definitely a much heavier gun (the Tx is no light weight either, but pales in comparison to the HW).

If you'd like to try it out (the TX) give me a shout the next time you are in Delhi... would be happy to have you join us for a session at the range :)

In conclusion - I may be a little biased, but now that I have shot both, I'd pick the smooth as butter TX over the HW any day! :D

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: HW 97 Or AA HTC

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:19 pm

aaaah the eternal question :)

There are quite a few discussions on Airgun BBS about this and most of the (if i remember correctly) time the conclusion was HW97 is as accurate as TX200 after tuned but AATX200 is better straight out of the box. There were some concerns about bluing on AA but I don't know if that problem is still there.

In US 97 cost around $88 cheaper so its a tough choice to make.. Personally I like the looks of TX200 HC better ...

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:10 pm

Ranjeet,

Just to add what is said above, my HW77 weighs, or feels at least, like a full bore 30/06. I haven't tried a 77k.I am planning to get one just to try it. The TX, frankly speaking, felt and moved like a pistol in my hands. Felt very light to me.As of now, the TX looked better after considered everything.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:23 am

Vikram";p="22502 wrote:The TX, frankly speaking, felt and moved like a pistol in my hands. Felt very light to me.
Ranjeet,

Do keep in mind the fact that Vikram is a giant! ;) And I mean that in a good sort of way... honestly I'd pick up the gun and grunt at the heft... and then Vikram would just scoop it up with one hand, like it was a bloody toy!! :lol:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:20 pm

Vikram,

i have tried the 77, and well even my 97K with the scope weighs quite a bit..me being a short guy..but I like the heft..

Well..somehow the folks in Germany don't stock on AA..so never got a chance to feel one..

Ranjeet
------------------

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:14 pm

Ranjeet Singh";p="22517 wrote:Vikram,

i have tried the 77, and well even my 97K with the scope weighs quite a bit..me being a short guy..but I like the heft..

Well..somehow the folks in Germany don't stock on AA..so never got a chance to feel one..

Ranjeet
Hmmmm..

I think HW77 is the lightest air rifle I've handled.. Yep even 97 looks and feel heavier than HW77

You guys should see my Diana 52.... Its quite a lump to carry all day.... :(

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:05 am

Guys, there is a difference in the balance between a HW77 and a HW77K. What Inder tried is a HW77K. The reason the TX200HC felt far lighter is due to the balance rather than the weight of the gun. (Vikram, a scoped Winchester pre-64 in .30-06 is lighter than a HW77)

Whilst I have owned three Air Arms rifles (TX200SR Mk. 2, TX200 HC Mk.2 and Pro Sport Mk.2) I have never held them - couldn't bring them back from the U.K. and hence sold them all a few years ago.

However, if one goes by the posts on the Airgun BBS, the Air Arms rifles are smoother (don't take this to mean they are more accurate) to shoot straight from the box as their pistons have a rubber ring that precludes metal to metal contact. However, the consensus is that the HWs may just have the edge once a V-Mach DIY kit is dropped in but that costs 65 quid more these days. Get a full Lazaglide tune done to the HW and I would imagine they are way ahead but that is 150+ quid more out of your pocket.

Between these two rifles, the accuracy is eventually decided by your pellet choice as they both capable of accuracy that 99% of the shooters would be unable to achieve.

Build wise, they are know to be the same though I have always prefered the AA stocks (made in Italy or so I was told)

Price wise, the difference is almost marginal now - the TX is about 5 to 10 quid more and it would be silly to let the price be a deciding factor.

Mack The Knife
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:06 am

kanwar76";p="22576 wrote:
You guys should see my Diana 52.... Its quite a lump to carry all day.... :(

-Inder
you should get a walnut stock for the Diana - that will make a huge difference in the weight of the weapon.
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:11 am

snIPer";p="22605 wrote:you should get a walnut stock for the Diana - that will make a huge difference in the weight of the weapon.
It will reduce the weight but it wont make a huge difference.

Mack The Knife

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:14 am

Hmm - i guess the stock i had earlier on my Diana wasn't original then - cos the replacement walnut stock that I got made was very light (comparatively).
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:12 pm

mundaire";p="22485 wrote: Hi Ranjeet,

I have only tried the HW77 & AA Tx200HC. You are right in terms of build quality both are right up there! While I personally could not spot any difference in accuracy between the Venom tuned HW77 (Vikram's), many reviewers rate the AA Tx200 as the most accurate (right out of the box) spring piston gun out there. The AA Tx200HC and AA ProSport come close but the full length version is supposed to be a tad better and more powerful.

The HW77 is definitely a much heavier gun (the Tx is no light weight either, but pales in comparison to the HW).

If you'd like to try it out (the TX) give me a shout the next time you are in Delhi... would be happy to have you join us for a session at the range :)

In conclusion - I may be a little biased, but now that I have shot both, I'd pick the smooth as butter TX over the HW any day! :D

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Aha here begenneth another Jihad ;-) get him guys.

dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:17 pm

By the way the QB 78 beats both................................................................................................
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay breathe guys... in terms of weight and ease of shooting ;-).
CO2 is cooler heh heh.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Krish
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Krish » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:57 pm

Hello Ranjeet,
Though I am not a serious airgun shooter, I have had and used a few of these rifles you mention.

Mack The Knife is spot on with his observations. Personally, I prefer the HW77 (of which I have had several in various guises). As long as you get to grips with shooting the respective rifle, it becomes your weapon of choice and therefore ‘better’ than the other. The very first time I bought my 77, I had it on the counter next to a TX200 for comparison. In the end, it was the 77 that spoke to me, if it makes any sense?!

Out of the box, the HW97 weighs a tad heavier (which I like) and aesthetically, I prefer the HW97 to the AA. The one plus that the AA have over the HW is that they can be had with either walnut or beech stock from the factory, whereas HW only come in beech. Both rifles can be fine tuned as you are aware, but that’s neither here nor there and is only limited by your imagination and most importantly, your budget. I used to have a 77 that weighed about 14lbs including the scope and custom stock. But then, I am partial towards heavy air rifles.

End of the day, it’s your choice. And I bet you will enjoy shooting either of these rifles. They are both great choices.

Have a good day :)
Krish

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:00 pm

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to reply..

Well, Basically what I liked about the AA was the under-lever has that kind of a handle- to hold on while loading - which I observe in the pics.

Just wanted to know if there are significant differences between the 97 and the AA... and as Krish pointed out..its a matter of familiarity with the gun which makes one better.

Cheers
Ranjeet
------------------