SDB Air rifles

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: SDB Air rifles

Post by TC » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:58 pm

Dear Basuda,
Thank you so much for letting us know about these ARs. Although I have virtually no interest in break barrels and never owned one (have stuck to side and under levers all my life) I promised Brihaji last evening that I will go to Dalhousie next week and find these SDB rifles and return with some pics and more information. Sir, it seems your fingers are itching :wink:

Regards
TC

Moin dear,
Will wait to see your report on the Diana 25 and a call with the information we discussed over phone the other day :wink:
In the meantime listen to AGN :lol: :lol:

TC

For Advertising mail webmaster
bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:10 am

Moin. wrote:You guys gotta help me pick up a good AR and ofcourse teach me how to shoot :D
I am not the world's top expert shooter, but let me tell you 3 things to get you going

1. Guns are dangerous. Always treat any gun as if it is loaded and ready to fire even when you are 100% sure that it is not loaded. Never point the gun at anything that you are not going to shoot.
2. Guns are exciting. Never leave them unattended with children or immature adolescents. Most air gun deaths are people under 18.
3. Go out. Buy an air rifle and start shooting. If you do not have Rs 30,000 plus to spare, don't worry. Buy an Indian air rifle for less than 5000. Make sure that the sight (particularly the rear sight nearer your eye) is adjustable. If you are like any one of us, this will only be the first of many air rifles you will own.

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:02 am

TC wrote:Dear Basuda,
Thank you so much for letting us know about these ARs. Although I have virtually no interest in break barrels and never owned one (have stuck to side and under levers all my life) I promised Brihaji last evening that I will go to Dalhousie next week and find these SDB rifles and return with some pics and more information. Sir, it seems your fingers are itching :wink:

Regards
TC

Moin dear,
Will wait to see your report on the Diana 25 and a call with the information we discussed over phone the other day :wink:
In the meantime listen to AGN :lol: :lol:

Lolzz no report. IT WAS SHEER EMBARASSMENT.My hands were shaking like a 80 year old and I couldnt hit a can kept at 10 feet lolllzz......

BTW HOPE what we discussed turns out positive :) :) :)... Meeting Brihaji amd the gang today for SOIREE:)

TC
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:05 am

bennedose wrote:
Moin. wrote:You guys gotta help me pick up a good AR and ofcourse teach me how to shoot :D
I am not the world's top expert shooter, but let me tell you 3 things to get you going

1. Guns are dangerous. Always treat any gun as if it is loaded and ready to fire even when you are 100% sure that it is not loaded. Never point the gun at anything that you are not going to shoot.
2. Guns are exciting. Never leave them unattended with children or immature adolescents. Most air gun deaths are people under 18.
3. Go out. Buy an air rifle and start shooting. If you do not have Rs 30,000 plus to spare, don't worry. Buy an Indian air rifle for less than 5000. Make sure that the sight (particularly the rear sight nearer your eye) is adjustable. If you are like any one of us, this will only be the first of many air rifles you will own.

THANK you Benne. FIRST of many...lolzz that's what scares the living daylights out of me and I try and avoid air rifles..lolzzz. You have a small pen knife in school what do you in a few years enough to arm all the goons in mumbai lolzzz.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:06 pm

Dear TC,
Briha was pushing me too hard to get the pics.But I am not a good photographer at all.
I guess Joy also deal with these models.If you love under levers,then you may at least like these products, i am sure.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

harshvardhan
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshvardhan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Such a nice review,
I just want to hold one SDB 2000 in my hand....
But My place ..no Gun-shop.....Relying on Aimco...
if the display one in their site....

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi Basuda and Brihaji,
First day was a disaster. I went to DN Biswas and Co, who stock all brands, local as well as Precihole and IHP. In fact its the only shop in Kolkata that has a separate air rifle section with dedicated display and staff. They have stopped selling SDB rifles. So have three other shops at Dalhousie.
They said these two models are exact copies of Diana Model 35... exact to the last letter. BUT, the trigger assembly has teething problems and its impossible to repair locally ( I mean once a customer has bought one and taken it home some 100 km away he is in soup). DN Biswas sold many of these rifles and faced problem with customers returning the rifles for repairs. SDB charges 900 bucks to replace the trigger assembly. For any stockist this is a nightmare. Because no customer who has bought an AR for around 5k (that's the approx price) would shell out 900 bucks every time the trigger breaks.

Will try to contact other dealers at Esplanade and get some pics but, with Kolkata reeling under 40 degree heat, please give me some time.

Cheers

TC

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:47 pm

TC wrote:Hi Basuda and Brihaji,
First day was a disaster. I went to DN Biswas and Co, who stock all brands, local as well as Precihole and IHP. In fact its the only shop in Kolkata that has a separate air rifle section with dedicated display and staff. They have stopped selling SDB rifles. So have three other shops at Dalhousie.
They said these two models are exact copies of Diana Model 35... exact to the last letter. BUT, the trigger assembly has teething problems and its impossible to repair locally ( I mean once a customer has bought one and taken it home some 100 km away he is in soup). DN Biswas sold many of these rifles and faced problem with customers returning the rifles for repairs. SDB charges 900 bucks to replace the trigger assembly. For any stockist this is a nightmare. Because no customer who has bought an AR for around 5k (that's the approx price) would shell out 900 bucks every time the trigger breaks.

Will try to contact other dealers at Esplanade and get some pics but, with Kolkata reeling under 40 degree heat, please give me some time.
Cheers
TC
TC wrote.....
They said these two models are exact copies of Diana Model 35... exact to the last letter. BUT, the trigger assembly has teething problems and its impossible to repair locally :(

Hi TC,
> Am a bit surprised since Basu was virtually singing praises about the Trigger - Smooth & Crisp at 1500gms pressure :D
> BTW why should they charge Rs.900 to replace a faulty trigger? If its within the Guarantee Period they should do it Free of Cost.
> Awaiting your pics!
Briha

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:17 pm

TC wrote:
... Although I have virtually no interest in break barrels and never owned one (have stuck to side and under levers all my life) ...

Regards
TC
Dear TC,

About the side-levers and under-levers you own, would you be kind enough to let us/me know which ones you have please?
Last edited by supershaji on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi TC,
> Am a bit surprised since Basu was virtually singing praises about the Trigger - Smooth & Crisp at 1500gms pressure :D
> BTW why should they charge Rs.900 to replace a faulty trigger? If its within the Guarantee Period they should do it Free of Cost.
> Awaiting your pics!
Briha
Brihaji,
After writing my last post I went to Dalhousie for some work and just returned to office. This time I talked to NC Daw and Co. Like the others they too said these SDB rifles are good and made with precision but a few rifles gave problem with the trigger, which incidentally is very crisp. And why shouldn't it be? Its a copy of the latest Diana 35. But I guess the Germans use superior material and superior machines. I guess this is where a product made in Kolkata with locally available material is giving problem after some use. I cannot say much about warranty policies without probing further. It was closing time so could not take pictures. But I will be going to these shops very soon on personal business. Will return with pics and more information.

TC

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:51 pm

supershaji wrote:
TC wrote:
... Although I have virtually no interest in break barrels and never owned one (have stuck to side and under levers all my life) ...

Regards
TC
Dear TC,

About the side-levers and under-levers you own, would you be kind enough to let us/me know which ones you own please?
supershaji,
I am more of a collector and hardly shoot. But all my air babies are super shooters and maintained with lots of care and love :D

Take a look : http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19280

Cheers
TC

supershaji
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by supershaji » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:11 pm

Fantastic!
@TC
:)
chitty-vitty, bang-shang

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:21 pm

Any information on the type ( material ) of washer on the SDB 45 Classic & the SDB 2000 Air Rifles ?

Regards

FN-Five-Seven
It's okay , if you disagree with me .
I can't force you to be right .

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:31 pm

Dear FN-Five n Seven,
I inspected the SDB 45 and 2000 very closely.
Presently they are using traditional leather washer.
Eagle .22 pellets weighing 11 grns clocked 445 fps in crono connect.
This gun has the potential for higher power and accuracy due to low mechanical tolerance.
I guess if tuned properly,it will be a joy to shoot.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:08 am

As you mentioned that the current FPS of Eagle .22 11 grain pellet is 445 on Chrono Connect ; I am guessing after the "run-in" or "break-in" period of the rifle , say 200-300 pellets through the barrel , the FPS may go up in the neighborhood of 500-550 , with the current setup , maybe ?

Putting in a stronger or imported spring together with a polymer washer , maybe it's possible to bump up the FPS to the range of 650 - 700 , maybe ?

It's nice to read that the rifle has a potential of further tuning . That's because along with shooting the rifle , owners can also get the experience of tuning for better performance .

Regards & thanks for your inputs

F-N-Five-Seven
It's okay , if you disagree with me .
I can't force you to be right .