SDB Air rifles

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: SDB Air rifles

Post by bennedose » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:20 am

My own 20 year olf SDB 50 had a Cherokee spring and new washer put in but its performance became worse. I then opened up the rifle and cut the spring length down to reduce its power as described in this post. After that this old rifle has been an absolute joy. Smooth, silent and deadly accurate even though it averages only 400 to 450 fps on heavy pellets. I would not trade this rifle in its current state for anything that claims "more power" because the accuracy (with suitable pellets) is simply phenomenal and totally dependable shot after shot after shot

For Advertising mail webmaster
Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:16 am

My experience is based on factory untuned SDB 45.
Cocking was full of noise, coming from receiver.
I had option for only two types of pellets.
MS round head was loose fit in the breach.That reached upto 385 fps.
Eagle was very tight.It was so tight that the pellet pusher required about 6-7 kgs force to push it in.
The datas provided ,are all without pellet pusher.
I could get the feel that compression was not building up since leather washer was not yet settled.
When I say tuning , it covers all.That includes synthetic washer,proper spring,proper lube,polishing of rough areas and crosshatching of receiver.
I get a feel that with all said and done,with 11 grns proper pellets,it can deliver upto 600 fps.
Regarding accuracy,this gun is fairly accurate and after proper makeover can compete with many front runner.
It is already discussed in one of Benne's post that power is not directly proportional to spring power,I stand by that.

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:56 pm

I am interested in buying the SDB 2000 air rifle .
I would be thankful if someone lets me know , which Arms Dealers in Calcutta are selling the above mentioned air rifle .
I called up three dealers and they said , they don't have it .

Regards

F-N-Five-Seven
It's okay , if you disagree with me .
I can't force you to be right .

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:26 pm

SDB 2000 ?
Hmmm......
You may find it in Great Eastern Firearms Co.
23,Lalbazar Street,
Beside Lalbazar Police HQ.
Contact person-Mr Sanjit Biswas.
Mobile no. 09831189107

Basu
Last edited by Basu on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:32 pm

Thanks
:)

Will pay them a visit next time , I am in the B.B.D Bagh area

Regards

F-N-Five-Seven

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:26 am

I have been meaning to write this for sometime , but the horrible net connectivity kept me from do so .

Last week of June , I was visiting my cousin in Jharkhand . When I reached there , he told me that he had a new air rifle to show me . Actually it belonged to his friend , but since his friend was out of station , he left his air rifle with my cousin and had given my cousin the freedom to plink / shoot with the rifle as long as the pellets were my cousin's . The air rifle was none other than the SDB 2000 . This rifle was sort of a Unicorn for me . Every gun dealer I visited , I was told , it's not here . And then I go and find this rifle totally unexpected approximately 300 kms away , in another state .

The rifle is a thing of beauty . The fit and finish of the rifle is the best of all the Calcutta made rifles I have seen . There are other rifles like GD air rifles which have a good finish on the stock , but their overall design is sort of "over-done" and the rifle looks gaudy . And then the manufactures write the Name & the Model of the rifle with billboard size letters on the stock , which makes the things even worse .

No such thing on the SDB 2000 . The stock is made of a dark coloured wood . It looks like it's made of chestnut wood . There is diamond style chequering on the pistol grip area , which is coloured in black . The quality of the diamond style chequering is so good , that it looks like it was done on a CNC machine . The overall fit and finish of the whole gun is so good , it's almost looks like a imported air rifle . I maybe exaggerating a bit , but the rifle is really good to look at .

The rifle is big and heavy . When I say " Big and Heavy " , I mean in a positive way . I like it's dimensions . I am not really fond of polymer stocks and light weight guns . They look and feel like toys to me . Now I know , at this very moment a lot of Precihole owners are sending death-threats to me , but hey , I am just typing in my opinion . So if you don't like Big and Heavy rifles , SDB 2000 is not for you . The rifle is approximately 45 inches in length and the barrel is 18 inches in length . The rear sight has an option of interchangeable "V" notches ; one big and one small . But then this option is available with many Calcutta made air rifles . On the rear sight there is a dial for the adjustment for Elevation and a big screw of the adjustment for Windage . I wish there was a dial instead of the screw .There is also a small screw infront of the trigger , which I think adjusts the trigger pull . It can be adjusted by inserting a small screw driver through the hole in the trigger guard . Since the rifle did not belong to me or my cousin , both of us refrained ourselves from tinkering with the trigger adjustment . I also noticed that there are a small screw locking the main pivoting screw . It was done so that the heavily stressed pivot screw do not come loose with use . Attention was paid every little detail , so as to make the rifle stand out amongst the Indian made ones .It was already late evening that day , so we did not go for shooting the rifle .

Next day , after breakfast , me and cousin got busy with the SDB 2000 . My cousin told he had already put approx 200 -250 pellets through the barrel even before I got there . So I cleaned the rifle bore with the help of patches and a push rod . After that I decided to do some rudimentary bore sighting . I broke open the barrel and then fixed the rifle on the edge of a table . Looked through the barrel at a "X" marked on a A4 size paper 10 mtrs , and then tried to align the sights of the rifle on the "X" . After I was satisfied , I shot 5-10 pellets at a target 10 metres away . Made a few adjustments and shot pellets till , I was satisfied with the rifle to some extent . Now while doing so I had a few limitations
1) the rifle was not broken in .
2) I had only one brand of pellets to choose from .( Bullseye )
3) the most important of all , I was shooting an air rifle after a long time .

After lunch , we decided to go to a secluded spot in the wooded area to do some plinking . Given my cousin is a chain smoker , we had a huge stock of empty cigarette packs and match boxes . These served as our plinking targets . On reaching the spot , we declared war on the cig packs and match boxes . None of them were safe . Shooting the SDB 2000 was an absolute joy . Even though heavier and bigger than my cousin's Deluxe 35 , it was more fun to shoot , both for me and my cousin . Cocking the rifle was effortless . I was seeing that my aiming was steady improving ; keep in mind I did not shoot for a long time . We shot using knee rested position and standing position . Shot the cig packs and match boxes on the flat sides and then went on shooting them side ways , which was a hell lot difficult . We had our shares of hits and misses but overall had a great time . Ended up putting roughly 350 to 400 pellets through the barrels of the SDB & Deluxe 35 .Then we started loosing day light and the mosquitoes were bugging us . Note to self : Carry insect repellent cream next time . Decided to call it a day . We collected all the shot cig packs & match boxes and tired to collect as much as spent lead pellets we could . That's because we went there to plink and not to litter .
Wrapped up the rifles in sheets of cloth and headed back home ( Given that part of Jharkhand is a criminal infested area , it's not a nice idea to walk around with rifles in hand after sunset , even if those were air rifles ) .

Next day headed back to bumper to bumper traffic of Calcutta with the memories of the plinking with the SDB 2000

Regards

F-N-Five-Seven

[ Edited later : Did some spelling mistake corrections and put in some new observations which I forgot to mention earlier ]
Last edited by FN-Five-Seven on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:33 pm

SDB 2000 is pure copy of Diana 35 of Germany as mentioned by TC in earlier post.
Internal and external both are identical like the said model.
It looks and feels great while shooting.
Ball bearing trigger is very pleasing.
A tuned SDB 2000 would be joy for ever.
I am dismayed as they seldom produce .177.

Basu

target
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by target » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:26 am

i request the owner of sdb 2000 AR to upload the photo
i have used sdb 35 i liked its acuracy and power
now i have sdb 300 under lever
i want to see sdb 2000 and what is the cost
please if its possible

FN-Five-Seven
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by FN-Five-Seven » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:40 pm

target wrote:
i want to see sdb 2000 and what is the cost
please if its possible
The SDB 2000 rifle is like an Unicorn ; nearly impossible to spot , atleast for me in Calcutta .
But it's an exact copy of the Diana 35 , so google Diana 35 and you will get the idea .

The SDB 2000 retails for Rs 6000 + 5% V.A.T. & the SDB Classic 45 retails for Rs 2800 +5% V.A.T. here in Calcutta .

F-N-Five-Seven

target
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by target » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:34 pm

is it available in mumbai :?:

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:16 pm

Dear Target,
You may find it in M Seleh & Co, Mumbai.
For details ,visit yellow pages.

Basu

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Dear all,
I remember when I first started this thread , I expressed my high expectation from both the guns, namely
SDB 2000 and SDB 45 Classic.
However 2000 being somewhat high end product, I zeroed on SDB 45 Classic only in .22.
As much I inspected the gun, it amazed me every moment.
It has every thing that a plinker requires.
Perfect sights with peep and factory fixed scope rail.
excellent rifling, enough to give proper spin to pellets.
Very nice balance to hold.
classy wood finish with superlative polish.
nice deep bluing.
Crisp trigger, breaks at 15-1600 grms.
Out of the box velocity with MSRH 14 grns - 495-553 Fps.
With NE 10.5 grns- 607- 625 Fps
It has noisy internal, which can be felt while cocking yet no vibration.
Cocking effort approx 28 lbs.
Almost zero tolerance at hinge area with nice soft locking mechanism.
Overall it is an excellent buy for me.
I am very happy that I have this gun.
SDB 45 Classic has the quality to give its competitors a run for money.
I have some pics , which I am unable to upload , I am requesting TC to
upload the same from his end.

Basu

Note : FPS datas are of cronocennect

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:15 am

Unfortunately - I have not even seen an SDB in Bangalore after I bought my old SDB50 twenty or thirty years ago. The old rifle (respringed) is still a pleasure although the original sights are useless and required much hacking/jugaad from me to work effectively.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi Basu,
> If SDB 2000 & SDB Classic are both in 22cal - What is the difference since you mention SDB 2000 is a high end product?
> BTW have they improved upon the "Rear Sight" - as Bennedose had problems with his earlier model of SDB.
> Going by your experience my gut feel is that - After 1500 - 2000 shots if the SDB 2000 is tuned it would outperform other local branded ARs :D
> Although I haven't had the pleasure of shooting with one - Adding a 4x or 2-7x32 scope to its factory fitted scope rail would make it an ideal AR to own.
> Time permitting I may call on M Saleh in Mumbai to take a look :D
Briha

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Dear Basuda, here are the resized photos of you lovely SDB rifle ... Sorry I took a few hours....

Regards

TC