Different pellets - weight and dimensions

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
joywarrior
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Different pellets - weight and dimensions

Post by joywarrior » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:02 am

bennedose wrote:Here is a photo of "Sabo" pellets (0.22). These consist of a central steel core that is probably less than 0.177, and an outer plastic jacket. tlonger and have greater penetration at greater distance. Just like sabot discarding tank ammunition.........But one would like to ask, why go thorugh all this drama? One can simply use a 0.177 no? :shock:
sabo-pellets.JPG
Where can one acquire "Sabo" pellets, if at all, in India?

Thanks
Wishes and Regards
Joywarrior

For Advertising mail webmaster
bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:54 pm

I don't think anyone makes Sabo pellets any more. I just Googled for it. Looks like what i have left are now a collectors item.

joywarrior
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by joywarrior » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:27 pm

bennedose wrote:I don't think anyone makes Sabo pellets any more. I just Googled for it. Looks like what i have left are now a collectors item.
Cool ! Thanks for the info.

Wishes & Regards
joywarrior

harsh94
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by harsh94 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:49 am

Please let me know the most suitable pellete for .177 diana 350 magnum. please do mention its price & weight.
Regards

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:47 pm

I was shooting at a piece of very hard compressed wooden sheet which pellets would not penetrate when I realised that by using flat head pellets I could punch a depression in the sheet deep enough for the pellet to embed itself. This was not happening with either round or pointed heads, which were simply flattening themselves into a sheet of lead. This gave me the feeling that flat heads were transmitting more energy at the point of contact and doing more damage there than round or pointed heads.

A bit of Googling more or less confirmed my impression. Flat heads give up their energy sooner, while round and sharp points keep moving. To try and test this I shot a round head, a flat head and a point through bars of soap and found that the round head created a small entry point and a larger exit point. The pointed pellet created a similarly small entry and the exit too was small. The flat head caused the biggest entry and an even bigger exit, suggesting greatest deposition of energy into the soap bar.

Here is an image
soap-pellets.JPG
This makes a difference in choosing the type of pellet depending on the type of target. If you want to punch a hole through a hard surface, then flat head would be your best bet. But for penetrating soft objects - round or pintes are fine.

I think round head is the best compromise. I do not like pointed pellets and will not use them if I can help it

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:07 pm

Hi Bennedose
Nice experiment, would like to see the same experiment with ballistic gel :). As the flat head have more surface area delivers greater impact contrary to round head or pointed ones. But the later will have better penetration & impact at longer range than flat head. Try out those double headed from marshal shot as well, the result may be interesting.
Regards Moulindu

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:14 am

Some pellet weights here:
Marshal shot flathead 685 mg (Approx 700 mg - 0.7 grams)
Gsmith pointed 943 mg (Approx 950 mg - 0.95 grams)
Mastershot wadcutter 1000 mg (1 gram)
Mastershot export quality round 1000 mg (1 gram)
Diana shot round 714 mg (Approx 700 mg - 0.7 grams)

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:59 pm

joywarrior wrote....
Briha sir, Kudos to you for your in-exhaustible patience with greenhorned :mrgreen: neophytes like me, and your encouraging comradeliness.
Thank you for the same.

Hi Joy,
> All of us begin as "Greenhorns"- however over a period of time through experience we become knowledgeable and develop skills to overcome the impediments life puts us through :D
> I am a firm believer in the adage that "There are no stupid Questions" - in fact they often lead to innovations that lead to new products & services that benefit mankind. "Necessity is the Mother of all Inventions".
> Failures during experiments are the stepping stones to learn "How not to make the same mistakes again" :D
> Now coming to the Ideal Pellet for ARs....
> Its internationally accepted by AR Gurus, that no two ARs are the same either in behavior or in performance - this fact is inexplicable & beyond comprehension :D
> So go ahead & experiment with all types of pellet brands, weights & shapes - finally go for the One that performs the best in your AR - in terms of accuracy & pleasurable shooting & STICK TO IT :)
Enjoy your Shooting!

Briha

joywarrior
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by joywarrior » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:04 pm

brihacharan wrote:....
>....................... So go ahead & experiment with all types of pellet brands, weights & shapes - finally go for the One that performs the best in your AR - in terms of accuracy & pleasurable shooting & STICK TO IT :)
Enjoy your Shooting!

Briha

Thank you Sir. Will do.

Wishes & Regards
Joywarrior

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Thu May 23, 2013 3:07 pm

I have previously stated on this thread that "Mastershot Hunt" were the worst pellet type I have ever used. It is my happy duty to inform forum members that I have found a brand of pellet that is even worse. That is "Mastershot Triple head"

Edit on 25 May : I will have to retract this statement - will do in a separate post about Mastershot Triple lead later - they seem to be OK with an IHP 35

It would be cruel of me to deny forum members of the joy of seeing an image of a pellet and the box. As you can see the pellets have been made to "Incredible tolerances". Incredible indeed. I can't believe that pellets can be so inaccurate. No one can acccuse the makers of claiming that the pellets have triple sealing rings - they only admit triple "celling rings" So there. Gotcha!
mshot3head-box.jpg
But there is hope. One good use for these pellets would be to try and end dieseling by firing off an entire box of these useless pellets.
Last edited by bennedose on Sat May 25, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu May 23, 2013 3:29 pm

bennedose wrote: I have previously stated on this thread that "Mastershot Hunt" were the worst pellet type I have ever used. It is my happy duty to inform forum members that I have found a brand of pellet that is even worse. That is "Mastershot Triple head"
But there is hope.
One good use for these pellets would be to try and end dieseling by firing off an entire box of these useless pellets.

> Don't waste your time effort doing it :roll:
> I too tried Mastershot Hunt - the problem is these pellets have "No Diablo" shape - hence ballistics-wise they are a disaster :D
> They tumble the moment they leave the barrel - accuracy literally thrown to the wind!
> The same applies to MS Triple Heads :roll:
> In my considered opinion & experiments Master Shot Export of 0.22 cal Round Heads are by far good & accurate.
Briha

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu May 23, 2013 4:20 pm

bennedose wrote:I have previously stated on this thread that "Mastershot Hunt" were the worst pellet type I have ever used. It is my happy duty to inform forum members that I have found a brand of pellet that is even worse. That is "Mastershot Triple head"

Here is an image of a 5 shot group. No. Your eyes are not playing tricks. Only one pellet actually hit the target sheet at 9 meters
mshot3head-grp.jpg
It would be cruel of me to deny forum members of the joy of seeing an image of a pellet and the box. As you can see the pellets have been made to "Incredible tolerances". Incredible indeed. I can't believe that pellets can be so inaccurate. No one can acccuse the makers of claiming that the pellets have triple sealing rings - they only admit triple "celling rings" So there. Gotcha!
mshot3head-box.jpg
But there is hope. One good use for these pellets would be to try and end dieseling by firing off an entire box of these useless pellets.
For a min. i was like WOW a five shot one hole group, but on reading the post i realized that the one hole was from one pellet :-)
Master shot round heads are the best(better than the lot other than Gsmith)
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu May 23, 2013 5:02 pm

snIPer wrote:
Master shot round heads are the best(better than the lot other than G Smith) /S

> You can't compare the two :roll:
> Master-shot comes in 14grs & G Smith is 18.5gr to 19grs
> Besides their individual fitment in the breech & weight reflect the difference in their performance.
> Also uniformity in weight, size & shape of G Smith pellets are near consistent - Whereas these factors vary in Master-shot.
> Even their metallurgical composition are different.
> However Master-Shot pellets as a stand alone brand is definitely better than most other brands in the 14gr weight category.
Briha

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Thu May 23, 2013 8:02 pm

I have been disappointed with Mastershot round head - they are very light and tend to leak air (I think) around the sides leading to some inaccuracy. They fit too easily into the breech. GSmith have been perfect and phenomenally consistent on the Orion. No question about that. Kovi shop in Bangalore that stock GSmith also stock the unusual (not to be found elsewhere) Marshal shot. Marshal shot flat heads are light but seem absolutely perfect for the IHP 35. Bang on shot after shot after shot.

The real struggle for me has been "my baby" my ancient SDB 50 about which I must have made 50 posts on this forum. Having tuned it and found it to be pleasingly accurate (better than when I bought it 20 years ago) I had to struggle for the best pellet. Unfortunately I had to go through 200-300 pellets each of Mastershot round head, Mastershot export quality and Diana shot to finally decide that the performance was very variable and the SDB was behaving temperamentally. GSmith does not fit and Marshal shot flat head are not working like they do on the IHP. But Mastershot Wadcutters are perfect. Once again they are consistent shot after shot after shot on my SDB 50.

Today I bought Mastershot Triple head (pointed) and Mastershot double head (round). The former was a waste. The latter (Mastershot double head round) seem to be very good. Need to try them out tomorrow and if they are consistent I will have a choice of 3-4 pellet types in case one type is out of stock.

But for the first time in so many decades I am seeing that air guns are picky about the pellet. One has to experiment and find the right pellet for a given rifle and that can be very frustrating and can use up a lot of tin cans in the process :lol:

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu May 23, 2013 8:32 pm

brihacharan wrote:
snIPer wrote:
Master shot round heads are the best(better than the lot other than G Smith) /S

> You can't compare the two :roll:
> Master-shot comes in 14grs & G Smith is 18.5gr to 19grs
> Besides their individual fitment in the breech & weight reflect the difference in their performance.
> Also uniformity in weight, size & shape of G Smith pellets are near consistent - Whereas these factors vary in Master-shot.
> Even their metallurgical composition are different.
> However Master-Shot pellets as a stand alone brand is definitely better than most other brands in the 14gr weight category.
Briha
Not comparing at all, what i meant was - among pellets other than gsmith mastershot round head was better. Gsmith is much much better than MS as you rightly mentioned.
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.