Different pellets - weight and dimensions

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Different pellets - weight and dimensions

Post by moulindu » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:29 pm

Hi Joywarrior
I have used GSmith pellets n as these pellets are heavier n have larger skirt dia. sticks in the barrel almost 1 in every 5 shots in IHP35 0.22. Those pellets may be good for Orion or similar kind of AR bt not for IHP.
Regards Moulindu

For Advertising mail webmaster
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:55 am

if the Gsmith pellets are getting stuck in the barrel then in all probability the gun has either a bad seal or the spring and washer need looking at.
I agree that they are a bit heavy for IHP but havent seen any getting stuck yet.
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:30 am

Here is an image of all the types of 0.22 pellets I have at the moment followed by my impressions, Sorry no weights.
pellet-row-all2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:32 am

Hi snIPer
IHP shoots fine with mastershot, not a single pellet ever stuck. few days back opened up my IHP for changing the spring but the spring looks absolutely fine,so dropped the idea of changing it. moreover i get consistent grouping with it so just did little bit of greasing to the internals. i have also seen some posts in this forum complaining about sticking of GSmith pellets.
Regards Moulindu

pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:36 pm

moulindu
IHP original spring is very good compare to any other Indian make
I get max velocity with the original IHP spring

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:46 pm

pratik_mahale wrote:moulindu
IHP original spring is very good compare to any other Indian make
I get max velocity with the original IHP spring
:agree:

joywarrior
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by joywarrior » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:07 am

moulindu wrote:Hi Joywarrior
I have used GSmith pellets n as these pellets are heavier n have larger skirt dia. sticks in the barrel almost 1 in every 5 shots in IHP35 0.22. Those pellets may be good for Orion or similar kind of AR bt not for IHP.
Regards Moulindu
Thank you Sir ....duly noted.

Wishes
Joywarrior

joywarrior
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by joywarrior » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:11 am

bennedose wrote:Here is an image of all the types of 0.22 pellets I have at the moment followed by my impressions, Sorry no weights.
pellet-row-all2.JPG
I have the weight for most of those pellets except the Hunt Master. So will upload them soon.

Wishes
joywarrior

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:37 pm

Come on joywarrior lets have some weights - in millligrams if poss rather that Her Majesty the Qyoon's grains

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:25 pm

bennedose wrote: Come on joywarrior lets have some weights - in millligrams if poss rather that Her Majesty the Qyoon's grains
Here are the weights of pellets weighed on a highly sensitive Mettler Electronic balance

G. SMITH Round Heads
10 pellets = 12.290gms
1 pellet = 1.23gms = 19gr

MAGNASHOT Round Heads
10 pellets = 10.52gms
1 pellet = 1.05gms = 16.2gr

MASTERSHOT Round Heads
10 pellets = 8.42gms
1 pellet = 0.842gms = 14gr

Conversion from Grams to Grains > 1gr = 64.8mg / 0.065gms
Briha

vkpd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vkpd » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:59 pm

bennedose wrote:Folks - here is an image of the worst pellets I have ever used. Maybe they work on some guns, I don't know. They are heavy and go all over the place at 10 meters. I wondered if they were tumbling but they were making neat holes on the few occasions they actually struck a target sheet. In fact I was missing targets at 5 meters. I regret having bought them. Mastershot Hunt they are called. Does anyone have any experience with this type?
mshunt22.JPG
Lots of bad experience here benndose with the MS Hunt. The story goes like this - I bought a few hundred pellets from 'Aimco' last year and assorted ones at that - Hunt being one of them. Me & son inspected the assorted pellets on arrival & I the "wise guy" was thoroughly impressed with the MSH pellets as they shined, looked heavier, & meaner than the rest - the domed, flat etc. They were the best looking pellets by far. I kept the MSH pellets seperately & felt that these could be used on a rainy day when we needed to seriously hit a target & missing was not an option. Let me mention here that these pellets look like they were going to hit the target even at 100 yards!!

Winter came ...blue skies, sunshine ...perfect time for some fun shooting. Day 1 saw us use the domed pellets of MS. Did not set an ambitious target at about 25 yards. Both father & son did well - hitting the target pretty regularly. Day 2 was even better - hitting our target at more than 35 yards with an IHP .22 . Day 3 , 4 & the rest of the week was also good. By this time it had become a routine feature for us father & son to troop down after breakfast for a round of shooting & soon a crowd had begun to gather to view the "renowned shots" in action from day 4 onwards.

A few neighbours & their children politely asked me to offer them some tips on shooting etc. & some practice as well. Emboldened at my new found "shooting form" 8) I magnanimously offered them to join us the following day with wife/children and all. D-day came and I suddenly realised that we had run out of pellets save 20 or 30 pellets at best. :? Then recalled that I had "Mr.HUNT" saved up! Heaved a sigh of relief & carried the ammo to the grounds and called all the neighbours to join me - just in case they forgot & I was not going to miss my moment in the Sun!!! 8)

We set a large mineral water bottle as target at 10 meters - just to make it 'easy' for the 'new kids on the block'. :wink: Cocked the air gun & displayed 'Mr. Hunt' to my eager 'disciples' - If ever there is a perfect pellet this is it - I professed. Then took aim and what followed was the most embarrassing 1& 1/2 hour of 2013. :oops: I did not hit the bottle on even one instance & neither did my son though aged 11 yet a better shot than me. Kneeling, standing, changing grip/ stance – nothing worked. Helplessly or should I say haplessly, I examined the gun left right & centre, made adjustments - windage / elevation et all ... but the fat bottle just stood there at 10 meters unscratched & unhurt by even a single pellet even though every member in the gathering tried theirs hands- some from even 5 meters or closer & not one succeeded!!! :lol: Finally....200 'Mr.Hunts' later I came up with a story & told the crowd that my servant must have accidentally dropped the gun while cleaning the room & hence the gun had probably fallen & lost its alignment. :roll: Don't know how many bought the story but I quickly retreated from the scene & was never seen on the 'hunting grounds' again for the rest of the winter's. :cry: My son also left for his boarding school soon after & that story was never discussed again.
It was only recently that I found the "courage" to lift the gun again & tried out some shots with the assorted pellets I was left with. To my shock I found out that while the domed pellets were hitting my targets at even 15 meters...the MSH did not hit one at even 8 meters or thereabout.
Just find it funny now that someone else has been through the motions & felt the need to "report" it.

As for Mr.Hunt :deadhorse: :evil:

vkpd

joywarrior
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by joywarrior » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:15 am

bennedose wrote:Come on joywarrior lets have some weights - in millligrams if poss rather that Her Majesty the Qyoon's grains

Ok ...will upload them in mg as well...

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:06 pm

vkpd wrote:
We set a large mineral water bottle as target at 10 meters - just to make it 'easy' for the 'new kids on the block'. :wink: Cocked the air gun & displayed 'Mr. Hunt' to my eager 'disciples' - If ever there is a perfect pellet this is it - I professed. Then took aim and what followed was the most embarrassing 1& 1/2 hour of 2013. :oops: I did not hit the bottle on even one instance & neither did my son though aged 11 yet a better shot than me. Kneeling, standing, changing grip/ stance – nothing worked. Helplessly or should I say haplessly, I examined the gun left right & centre, made adjustments - windage / elevation et all ... but the fat bottle just stood there at 10 meters unscratched & unhurt by even a single pellet even though every member in the gathering tried theirs hands- some from even 5 meters or closer & not one succeeded!!! :lol: Finally....200 'Mr.Hunts' later I came up with a story & told the crowd that my servant must have accidentally dropped the gun while cleaning the room & hence the gun had probably fallen & lost its alignment. :roll: Don't know how many bought the story but I quickly retreated from the scene & was never seen on the 'hunting grounds' again for the rest of the winter's. :cry: My son also left for his boarding school soon after & that story was never discussed again.
It was only recently that I found the "courage" to lift the gun again & tried out some shots with the assorted pellets I was left with. To my shock I found out that while the domed pellets were hitting my targets at even 15 meters...the MSH did not hit one at even 8 meters or thereabout.
Just find it funny now that someone else has been through the motions & felt the need to "report" it.

As for Mr.Hunt :deadhorse: :evil:

vkpd
:lol: LOL! That's a nice story, well told.

Mastershot Hunt would be more effective if simply thrown at a target :evil:

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Here is a photo of "Sabo" pellets (0.22). These consist of a central steel core that is probably less than 0.177, and an outer plastic jacket. the two are shot off together but the petals of the plastic "sabot" open as soon as the pellet leaves the barrel and the sabot falls off. The steel core continues on to target. The idea is supposed to be to maintain the velocity for much longer and have greater penetration at greater distance. Just like sabot discarding tank ammunition.

But one would like to ask, why go thorugh all this drama? One can simply use a 0.177 no? :shock:
sabo-pellets.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vkpd
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by vkpd » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:54 pm

bennedose wrote:

:lol: LOL! That's a nice story, well told.

Mastershot Hunt would be more effective if simply thrown at a target :evil:
I could'nt agree more :P