Different pellets - weight and dimensions

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Different pellets - weight and dimensions

Post by snIPer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:42 pm

On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Different pellets - weight and dimensions

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:58 pm

Sniper thanks a lot.there's lot of info in this article for all airgunners.i never knew so many differents pellets excisted.
dr.jk

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:24 am

Dear all,

Thanks to the ultra-sensitive weighing scale that tirpassion got with him costing about Euro 50-60, we ended up doing some fine observation work on 4 brands of pellets. This was apart from minor study of skirts and interior and the flat sides.

P-10 (AP): Highly inconsistent among all. Remember this is the top brand from the gsmith stables. Moreover, recently they have also separated pellets AP from AR. The skirt diameter was not always consistent in shape or size. There was also some lead dust in the inside of most of the pellets. This one splips from my choice of pellets for competitions. The 10-shot grouping from rested position was OK but not extremely tight. The 9-shot grouping from free standing position was spread out and not tight in any way.

Ecole de Tir (H & N): This is a gift from France. Made by H & N and lower end for club use and beginners. The finish is better and they are a bit shiny. However, minor scratches exist on the flat face. The skirt is somewhat consistent though slight deformation was found in a few skirts. The interior was clean as if they were washed prior to packing. The 10-shot grouping from rested position was somewhat tight. The 9-shot grouping from free standing position was grouped in one tight hole and three close but not tight.

Finale Match (H & N): This is definitely one of the top quality products the world over. The pellets are consistent in shape and skirt diameter and no powder exists in the interior. The 10-shot grouping from rested position was tight and except for a flyer converged in a single hole. The 9-shot grouping from free standing position was grouped in two separate tight holes. This could be due to rest I took in between and a slightly different aiming point zone.

Mastershot (Yellow): What a pleasant surprise ! The pellets are consistent in shape and skirt diameter and no powder exists in the interior. They are not shiny but consistent in texture. In fact they have a slightly larger skirt than Finale Match but have polished interior. Hardly any scratch on the flat face and no indentation on the skirt circumference. The 10-shot grouping from rested position was tight and converged in a single hole. The 9-shot grouping from free standing position was grouped in two separate holes. This could be due to slightly different aiming point zone. Tirpassion decided to test out this lot himself and got an extremely tight one hole group himself from free standing shooting. He too was pleasantly surprised at the shot placement which aligned with his shot call. What he had earlier termed as my "fetish" pellets, turned out to be a dark horse.

Later that night the weights recorded of randomly selected pellets from the same lots that we fired from were as (in gm):

MS (Yellow): 0.50, 0.50, 0.50, 0.50, 0.49, 0.50, 0.50, 0.50, 0.49, 0.50, 0.50, 0.50, 0.50, 0.50, 0.49

P-10 (AP): 0.52, 0.52, 0.51, 0.51, 0.51, 0.51, 0.50, 0.51, 0.50, 0.51, 0.52

Ecole de Tir: 0.51, 0.50, 0.50, 0.50, 0.50, 0.50, 0.50, 0.51, 0.51, 0.50, 0.50

Finale Match (H & N): 0.48, 0.48, 0.48, 0.48, 0.49, 0.48, 0.48, 0.48, 0.48, 0.48, 0.48, 0.49, 0.48, 0.48

The air pistol used was competition level PCP FWB P-34 and the paper targets were set at 10m in an international level air gun range.

Notice that even in weight MS (yelllow) are as consistent as the foreign H & N range. Could this be the reason in addition to the consistency in form and finish for good shot placements ? Sorry did not take pictures of shot placements on cards.

regs
AGN

pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks AGN

Master Shot (Yellow) weight .50 Grams = 7.72 grain

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:34 pm

AGN,
> Thanks - A very exhaustive analysis indeed :D
> Imagine Mastershot clipping H&N in the race for a near perfect pellet :D
> Only hope they maintain consistency all through.
> Anyway its heartening to note that we can depend on MS to a great extent - while its a whole lot economical too as compared to H&N / RWS / JSB.....
Briha

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Long ago in the UK I had bought "sabot discarding" pellets. These were small diameter (less than 0.22 metal pellet cores with a plastic jacket that would come off soon after the pellet was shot. The smaller diameter pellet was said to retain its muzzle velocity for a much longer distance than a standard 0.22 pellet.

But like someone said - muzzle velocity is the most useless thing if you can't hit what you are shooting at.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:46 pm

[quote="bennedose"]
> Like someone said - muzzle velocity is the most useless thing if you can't hit what you are shooting at.
:D

> The case for increased Muzzle Velocity is a Craze...
> Most Indian made Air Guns are designed & made to conform to a maximum of 12fpe output
> To achieve this with a 14gr pellet the muzzle velocity would be around 600 fps
> This combo of fps & fpe delivers optimum accuracy up to approx 30 metres
> By tuning these ARs the maximum velocity increase will be around 10% while it still can retain the accuracy
> Anything beyond this is fool-hardy :D
> BTW all those claiming 'mind boggling' velocities do so by using 'light weight' pellets - with no claim on accuracy :D
Briha

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:07 pm

brihacharan wrote: > BTW all those claiming 'mind boggling' velocities do so by using 'light weight' pellets - with no claim on accuracy :D
Briha
For the heck of it, and for the first time today I bought "Marshal shot" flat top 0.22 pellets. I had never used/seen them before and was surprised at how light they were. Equally surprised that the rifle seemd to be spitting them out at higher velocity and making holes in tin cans in which no man has ever made holes before. But what I wonder about is the fact that the front half of the pellet does not come into contact with the rifle barrel at all. Only the rear skirt does. I somehow feel that this is a great formula for a tumbling pellet. The target sheet had stupid looking and ridiculously large holes - so maybe they do tumble. Accuracy is fine at 10 meters. Need to see what happens at 15 or 20 meters.

I worry about light pellets and I am sure the spring/piston will get damaged in due course. But then I am yet to find heavy desi pellets. Need to look.

pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pratik_mahale » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:07 am

If you want heavy pellets then go for gsmith

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Folks - here is an image of the worst pellets I have ever used. Maybe they work on some guns, I don't know. They are heavy and go all over the place at 10 meters. I wondered if they were tumbling but they were making neat holes on the few occasions they actually struck a target sheet. In fact I was missing targets at 5 meters. I regret having bought them. Mastershot Hunt they are called. Does anyone have any experience with this type?
mshunt22.JPG

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:21 am

oh ya i remember these fellas, never could get a decent grouping with those so had to give the whole box away.
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

joywarrior
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by joywarrior » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:23 am

bennedose wrote:Folks - here is an image of the worst pellets I have ever used. Maybe they work on some guns, I don't know.

They are heavy and go all over the place at 10 meters. I wondered if they were tumbling but they were making neat holes on the few occasions they actually struck a target sheet. In fact I was missing targets at 5 meters. I regret having bought them. Mastershot Hunt they are called. Does anyone have any experience with this type?
mshunt22.JPG

Just bought a whole lot of Mastershot wadcutter, MS Pointed export Q, MS Round Head Export Quality and a double head. Desperately wanted to check the Mastershot Hunt master but wasn't available...So i've got another local brand with the same design - Hunt. I was too eager to lay my hands on hunt master for a different reason..but bad availability. Also got one large size 5.56 (International) .22 pellets like GSmith (Pune) ones. Some one wrote on the forum that GSMITH is around 19 grains....mine is 17. Hope it doesn't pop over at a few feet because of its weight.

Good Luck to me
Joywarrior.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:38 am

Hi Bennedose / Joywarrier.
> Yes its true that 'HUNT' pellets don't group well - I too have used them!
> The reason is simple - It's basic Physics & principles of ballistics.
> When you compare the design / construction of the Hunt pellet with others you'll notice that:
1. The "Diablo" ie: the squeezed portion between the pellet head & its skirt is missing in the Hunt.
2. The front end of Hunt is a tad smaller in dia in comparison with the rest.
3. The cylinderical shape of Hunt does not have any 'fluting' again as compared with othees.
> All these "Missing Elements" contribute to the 'mal-functioning' of Hunt pellets - Meaning = Accuracy.
> N
Hence when a Hunt Pellet is fired "It virtually Pitches & Yaws" during its flight :D
Briha

> BTW - GSmith pellets weigh 19.2gr - I have weighed them in a highly sensitive electronic "Mettler Balance" the type used in analytical labs & by jewelers, Mastershots weigh 14.05gr & Maganashot weighs 16.2grs (pl see my earlier post on the subject)
> Frankly the 'Idiosynchrocy' of Air Gun behavior is internationally known & accepted - It has been commented upon extensively by experts. Hence try all types & wts of pellets in your AR - enjoy / have fun :D
> Finally stick to the Brand / Type & Weight which your Air Rifle accepts & gives you 'shooting pleasure' & 'accuracy' :lol:
Cheers
Briha

joywarrior
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by joywarrior » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:47 am

brihacharan wrote:Hi Bennedose / Joywarrier.
> Yes its true that 'HUNT' pellets don't group well - I too have used them!
> The reason is simple - It's basic Physics & principles of ballistics.
> When you compare the design / construction of the Hunt pellet with others you'll notice that:
1. The "Diablo" ie: the squeezed portion between the pellet head & its skirt is missing in the Hunt.
2. The front end of Hunt is a tad smaller in dia in comparison with the rest.
3. The cylinderical shape of Hunt does not have any 'fluting' again as compared with othees.
> All these "Missing Elements" contribute to the 'mal-functioning' of Hunt pellets - Meaning = Accuracy.
> N
Hence when a Hunt Pellet is fired "It virtually Pitches & Yaws" during its flight :D
Briha

> BTW - GSmith pellets weigh 19.2gr - I have weighed them in a highly sensitive electronic "Mettler Balance" the type used in analytical labs & by jewelers, Mastershots weigh 14.05gr & Maganashot weighs 16.2grs (pl see my earlier post on the subject)
> Frankly the 'Idiosynchrocy' of Air Gun behavior is internationally known & accepted - It has been commented upon extensively by experts. Hence try all types & wts of pellets in your AR - enjoy / have fun :D
> Finally stick to the Brand / Type & Weight which your Air Rifle accepts & gives you 'shooting pleasure' & 'accuracy' :lol:
Cheers
Briha
Just got my self a pretty accurate weight scale up to 2 grams. Usually used to measure fine jewellery or something even lighter 8) . It can detect differences in weight of individual pellets due to variations (standard/average deviations) of pellet-weight caused by the in-consistency in the quality of Most Indian Pellets including in some of the Master shot rounds of certain types and is sensitive enough to detect changes in the degree of .001 grams. Already have started testing extensively around 7 types of shots, as of now they are all mastershot, Magnashot. True that some of the types have very high consistency in weight-age but most don't. I'll get my hands on GSMITH when I visit pune, (or buy/get it delivered somehow). Will share my test results and theory on them, in an abridged form soon without attempting to "re-invent the wheel, but only sharing my experience in discovering the knowledge to build it and wield it, or as in this case roll it" . :lol:

Briha sir, Kudos to you for your in-exhaustible patience with greenhorned :mrgreen: neophytes like me, and your encouraging comradeliness.
Thank you for the same.
joywarrior.

vivek16sep1969
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vivek16sep1969 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:55 pm

Thanks a lot to all of you,,,
Your discussions are my brain food,,,,,,,
Regards
"Fast is fine but accuracy is everything......"
-Wyatt Earp