Using adhesive to mount a scope on Springer

All posts related to air-guns (air-rifles, airsoft, air-pistols, air-guns etc.).
pratik_mahale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Using adhesive to mount a scope on Springer

Post by pratik_mahale » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:56 pm

My Pegasus don’t have scope stopper hole so after every few shots because of the recoil of gun scope mount moves backward so I used araldite to fix the scope mount.
I think New PH Air rifles have scope stopper hole
when first time I was fixing scope on IHP I don’t have any experience & I put some shimming at rear ring for alignment & tight the screw but it make a denting mark on Scope likely it doesn’t bend the scope
Now I am afraid of tightening screw as it can bend the scope after shimming so I used very little bit of araldite in front ring (down side only) now my scope is very stable & with little bit careful jerk from rear side after removing all screws I can remove the scope from the mounts

Hope this will help for fixing the scope
Any suggestion

For Advertising mail webmaster
moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Using adhesive to mount a scope on Springer

Post by moulindu » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Pratik
In an air rifle if the scope moves backward with the (2)ring mounts on recoil & does not have back stop pin (faced the same problem), Firstly try to find the perfect eye relief position, then mark the points on contacts (starting point- ending point) of the ring mount stands on the mount rail. Mark those 8 points.
Secondly cut 4 pieces of match sticks equal to the mounting stands on the rail.Then place those 4 match sticks inside the marking made on the rail.
Then put araldite in the front & rear of the match stick for about 2-3 mm spread. Keep it to dry for 24 hrs. After 4 hrs you can trim off the flowing araldite as that will be difficult to remove once its completely dried.
After 24 hrs take out the match sticks & try to set the scope in the groove made by araldite. If its not setting try to chip off the extra araldite. Once its set try zeroing it.
I have used this tactics & after 250 shots the scope didnt move a mm.
Moulindu

sathya.sniper
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sathya.sniper » Thu May 02, 2013 11:03 pm

very good and innovative idea but you might face problem when you are planning to go for a new scope, because all the scopes dont have the same eye relief position. and once it is like that , removing araldite from the grove is going to be a tedious job, That what I feel.
Regards.

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Fri May 03, 2013 6:02 am

moulindu wrote:Hi Pratik
In an air rifle if the scope moves backward with the (2)ring mounts on recoil & does not have back stop pin (faced the same problem), Firstly try to find the perfect eye relief position, then mark the points on contacts (starting point- ending point) of the ring mount stands on the mount rail. Mark those 8 points.
Secondly cut 4 pieces of match sticks equal to the mounting stands on the rail.Then place those 4 match sticks inside the marking made on the rail.
Then put araldite in the front & rear of the match stick for about 2-3 mm spread. Keep it to dry for 24 hrs. After 4 hrs you can trim off the flowing araldite as that will be difficult to remove once its completely dried.
After 24 hrs take out the match sticks & try to set the scope in the groove made by araldite. If its not setting try to chip off the extra araldite. Once its set try zeroing it.
I have used this tactics & after 250 shots the scope didnt move a mm.
Moulindu
Moulindu I didn't follow this exactly. Would ou be abe to upload a pic if you have one? I am willing to try this.

adilmaroof
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by adilmaroof » Mon May 27, 2013 7:36 pm

Using araldite is a good idea but this will not resist on a DIANA 350 Magnum as after 1000 shots the impact (shock) will damage any scope , it is good to use open sights AG's having high recoil of spring.
It is okay for me to have everything i want.....

moulindu
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by moulindu » Mon May 27, 2013 11:39 pm

Hi
Got a better idea for providing back stop for your 2 piece mount. Find the eye relief, buy a small pack of M-Seal (Rs 10), mix both the epoxies and apply it behind the mount (near to the barrel) for about 1 inch length. try to keep the height of the epoxies so as to almost touch the scope tube. Now let it cure for 5-6 hrs, after curing m-seal will become rock solid. then put a rubber stopper in front of m-seal so that it does not harm the scope tube because of the harsh recoil of springers. After that fired more than 1000 shots and the scope intact. And if you want to take out the dried m-seal just use chisel n hammer for removing it. Would like to thank Harsh for this bright idea.
Have a look at the pic near the mount, you can see m-seal just behind the front mount
Regards Moulindu

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:58 pm

hi Moulindu,
just saw this post, did the mseal hold up well?
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:03 pm

I do put the Mseal at the rear part of the gun.......it stays permanent for years..

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:31 pm

Basu wrote:I do put the Mseal at the rear part of the gun.......it stays permanent for years..

Basu
ohhh!!! ok let me give that a go.
Thank you.
/S

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:19 pm

snIPer wrote:hi Moulindu,
just saw this post, did the mseal hold up well?
/S
You can also buy a 1 piece mount and jam it permanently onto your rail with some epoxy or get it welded perhaps.. Then forget about it for the rest of your life.. My suggestion is to leave the mount on the rail for good. Preferably fix a scope and a mount onto any gun and forget about it... Tinkering constantly with a mount is one of the ways to ruin it!

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:23 pm

Yep i agree too, too much tinkering with the mounts messes it up. the problem is i have an old diana mod 35 and so do not want to drill a hole to fit a stop pin, a scope stopper is also a good option but not readily available now, so am looking for some DIY stuff that i can use for the time being.
/S

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:40 pm

snIPer wrote:Yep i agree too, too much tinkering with the mounts messes it up. the problem is i have an old diana mod 35 and so do not want to drill a hole to fit a stop pin, a scope stopper is also a good option but not readily available now, so am looking for some DIY stuff that i can use for the time being.
/S
You can use the jugaad I told you - jam a 1"/30mm mount onto the rail with epoxy or welding and forget about it...

Machoman
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Machoman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:44 pm

Just Tap and drill and fix a heavy duty quick detach weaver rail on it. Permanent solution to your problem.